What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Filming car chases from then till now - John Boy

This is car chases for movies. Interesting how so many modern safety devices now have to be programmed out to make them possible:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSRjoUtAVik

Filming car chases from then till now - Will deBeast

A friend agreed to let his Mk2 Jag be used for a TV scene.

It came back with gravel rash all over the front. Apparently having been driven very close behind a camera car on an old runway.

Fortunately the film company paid up for a respray.

Filming car chases from then till now - mcb100
Similar to above, I was roped into doing some filming for a manufacturer a couple of years ago. The brief was simple - follow the camera car, in this case a new Range Rover, across a field, whilst staying within 2-3 metres off the back of it. Easy, says I.
The RR has a camera operator harnessed in, sitting with his feet dangling whilst he was perched on the open, lower tailgate, holding a camera frame that gimballed and kept everything level.
We set off at a fair old lick across the field, the air suspension on the RR coping beautifully with every undulation and rut. My car, a utilitarian 4X4, didn’t ride quite as well and I found myself hanging on and bracing against anything just to stay in the seat.
So, if you’re ever in one of this particular brand’s showrooms, and see this video playing on the TV, you won’t see me hanging on grimly as the headlights were on and make it impossible to see the driver, but it’s me trying not to either get dislodged from the controls or run into the back of the camera car.