What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Juice again - Colin
Interesting to see the thread re the new Shell offering. I think HJ did report some time ago that ULS petrol gives less mpg than the previous offerings.

[company car drivers can go back to sleep here] Is it really worthwhile paying the extra for alleged premium brands? In the west midlands shell unleaded was on sale for 74.9p. Here in my SE area its 78.9p. Total and Murco (!?) can cost 79.9p here. There seems little rhyme or reason. Even the supermarkets don't always seem to be cheaper. Incidentally, remember when Jet was a cheapo?
Re: Juice again - Nick Ireland
I think that Jet, the supermarkets and others cut prices to get our trade, then put them up again and we still go there because we are creatures of habit - fill up when you do the weekly shop etc.
Re: Juice again - Michael
the difference here is the octane rating of the new shell fuel. premium is 95, super is 97 (used to be 98 but was reduced) and new optimax is 98+, same as the old 4 star. See other thread for which cars will benefit and which cars will not.
Re: Juice again - honest john
My car did 31mpg on Shell ULSP when it was first introduced, I mentioned something about it in the paper, and entirely coincidentally started getting 37mpg from Shell ULSP. I think the first batches of ULSP were under spec, the oil companies realised they couldn't get away with it, and they sorted it out.

HJ