What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - ammo
Im am planning to chip my Golf MK3 VR6 highline, and havin an induction kit put in, but im really confused about where to go or which brand to go for. I know AMD tunning up in oxfordshire do a chip that should should push out approx 12-15 bhp for £250 +VAT (including rolling road) and London superchips say about 10-12 bhp for £250+ VAT (excluding rolling road). Secondly, i want an induction kit which will give the best gains. I was planning on having a VIPER INDUCTION KIT installed, but im worried about spending £250 on a filter and not archieving decent gains. I am new on the Golf VR6 scene, so i would appreciate any help from peeps who have suped up VR6's
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - TrevP
"im worried about spending £250 on a filter and not archieving decent gains."

Rightly so. REAL gains from induction kits? - 0-3%. Chips on non-turbo cars? Zero.

But you spend your money if it makes you feel good.
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - Jonathan {p}
Try

www.vr6.org

or

www.clubgti.com

These sites will have other members who have much more in common with you (including BS kill stories) than this site.

Jonathan
Or try "Max Power"?
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - sean
ammo,

Having just read your other post about your traction control, may I recommend the King Edwards chips?

These will match the one holding the steering wheel.
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - Phoenicks
Hold on a minute. this guy is on a motoring forum looking for advice. lets not slate im - are you trying to make him feel unwelcome?

If he wishes to chip his car (i havent so i'm not biased) thats his choice, but we shouldnt slate him.

Ammo - go to www.golfgti.co.uk and try the forum. I'm a member and its a very easy going forum. Should be able to get some tips there.

Sorry but i find all your posts really dissapointing. i expected more.
Excuse me. I slated nobody on this thread.

I gave a realistic answer re "induction kits" and chipping.
(If you don't believe me, checkout Puma Racing).

OK, I may have remarked adversely to his driving skills (or lack of) on his other thread,
but I felt that totally justified, and others appear to agree.

The difference is: - wasting money - carry on,
driving like an idiot affects other people and should be commented on.
Well on a Golf VR6 a chip can give 12% gains. i know. i've seen it with my own eyes.

The Traction Control thread was a little extreme, but he wasnt talking about driving on this thread.

My comment wasn't specifically at you TrevP.
p.s sorry. meant 12bhp not 12%.
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - Tony N
How do you measure a 12bhp gain on a 190 odd Hp engine? You'd probably recover that after a good service!
Firstly you're showing lack of knowledge. The golf VR6 has 174bhp.

secondly. the experience i had was a friend who got it rolling roaded. showed bhp figure. Chip transplanted. rolling road again.
voila. one increased figure.

What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - Ben {P}
this is all IMHO:

phoenicks, i think i know i guy who would disagree with you .

He barely achieved the power gains you mentioned with a fully ported head. He had no 2.8 Vr6 engines given to him that made the full 174bhp on an ENGINE DYNAMO- more like 165-170bhp. this engine has poor inlet valve area and is not good at all for tuning. An increasing figure really means nothing at all Phoenicks. I could take your car to a rolling road, run it in two different gears for example and get two different figures, i have done it my self. Its easy to figure the guestimated transmission losses to give any figure you like.

I would not recommend going to the company previously mentioned on this site, i have seen evidence of them being less than accurate with power gains. There is an American company that does good products for VR6 tuning. i shall post a link if i can find one.

Adding a cone filter will make no difference unless there is adequate modification of the front of the car to allow more cold air to the filter. Filters on cars are made far bigger than they need be so the car works fine when the filter is full of rubbish. I have blocked off half an air-filter in my old car on a rolling road, and achieved no difference in power readings. I do not reccomend K&N filters as from my experience and scientific evidence i found on the vbra web-site they do not filter as effectively as a mann paper filter. ITG however are better. the flow restriction that is effecting power is not the filter or the air-box.

If you want more power the first place to look is at the cams and inlet manifold. The corrado uses a slightly different manifold, and shrick sell there own aftermarket manifold. With this done you might have real need to adjust the fueling on the car. Running one of these chips greatly increases the chance of pre-ignition, and in order for noticeable improvement to take place vw must have got somehitng wrong in the first place. But dont expect more than 200bhp unless you get serious head work done.

Ben
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - Tony N
Firstly you're showing lack of knowledge. The golf VR6 has 174bhp.
secondly. the experience i had was a friend who got it
rolling roaded. showed bhp figure. Chip transplanted. rolling road again.
voila. one increased figure.

Hence I said 'odd 190bhp' indicating that I wasn't 100% on the actual figure - maybe its the 2.9 in the Corrado that has closer to 190, I don't really care. The point is that you could quite likey see nearly that amount in variance between different chassis dynos - as Ben quite rightly pointed out its near impossible to estimate accurately transmission losses on a chassis dyno - any figure is really a guestimate - and these guys will regularly manipulate figures to show owners what they want to see. I love that expression 'got it rolling roaded' great...
What the best chip/filter for Mk3 VR6?? - tunacat
What if you bought your own rolling road and installed it in climate-controlled building, handed £400 over to yourself to do the installation and carry out the tests, put the chip in the car with a direct changeover switch on the Chip Select line, fully warmed up the engine for an hour, took some readings on the dyno, flicked the switch over, took the same readings immediately afterwards (taking care the car was in the same gear), flicked the switch over, took the same readings, taking care the environmental conditions hadn't changed, flicked the switch over etc etc etc. Would there be a difference in the readings between original chip and special chip? What if there was?! What if it was too big a difference to be meaningless? What if it couldn't be accounted for by the tyres having worn down a bit?

Heavens! when my car failed its MOT on the brake tester or emissions, the examiner might have been massaging the results to obtain a job of remedial work out of it. And when I was racing against that M3, its driver only thought he'd won - it must have actually been me, as the policeman had measured my speed but oh, wait a minute he might have been bending the reading a bit, just like he must have done on that breath test, so maybe the M3 did win after all. Hang on though, I was using Ploptimax petrol and Pirellyearchelin tyres, and don't they improve things? or am I just deluding myself? Yes that's it, it must all have been a dream, because I never race anybody else even slightly and I've never ever exceeded any speed limit anywhere for even one second and Whoa! What the? Who put that 1.4 engine in my VR6? Whaddaya mean it's just some badges you stuck on?!

Arrgh - I'm off to get some serious head work done