What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - Kelboy80

Hi everyone - recently bought a 2019 Mokka X, 1.4 petrol. Have owned for three months now and I am really struggling to get used to the ride. It's really bumpy and gittery around town on uneven roads and even the smallest pothole sends shudders though the cabin! I have taken it for an inspection and all is fine with suspension etc.

It's to the point I am seriously thinking of cutting my loses on the value lost and getting another SUV. However before I do, is this type of ride just part of the character of an SUV (I have always previously owned small hatchbacks) or is this an issue others have noticed with the Mokka? Ps I did test drive but with only a short period to test and a salesman in my ear I didn't really notice the hard ride at that time.

Any recommendations on smooth riding SUVs in a similar class/price range as the Mokka??

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - badbusdriver

I have read that the ride on the Mokka X was 'improved' over the earlier Mokka (without the X), so I wonder just how bad they are!. Didn't you test drive the car before buying?.

Going by what I read in the motoring press, the Citroen C3 Aircross and C4 Cactus have about the smoothest ride of that type of car. And, although its looks are not going to appeal to everyone, I've read that the Toyota C-HR rides well too.

Hi there - yes I actually test drove it twice! However in my defense I only had about 10mins each time and I think getting into a new car, first automatic I have driven and just trying to adjust to new surrounding I just didn't pick up on the poor ride - kind of wowed by the new car experience.

Trust me I would not recommend the Mokka X after my experience.

I have also read the Citroens ride well, but I am really not a fan of their design find them quite ugly and a very desired taste. I don't mind the Toyota design actually so may read up on that.

Thanks!

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - paul 1963

Strange! I've got a mokka x and find the ride fine, take a couple of psi out of the tyres.

Edit: presume it's on the standard 18" wheels?

Edited by paul 1963 on 17/03/2021 at 07:55

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - Xileno

take a couple of psi out of the tyres.

Exactly the advice I was given on here years ago when I had a Megane MK2 on 17'' wheels. I ad a courtesy car from the dealer on one occasion when mine was being serviced, almost identical to mine down to colour but it had 16'' wheels and a deeper profile. The difference in ride was noticeable. Someone on this forum said to take a couple of psi out of my 17'' tyres and this was a help. A lot cheaper than changing your car!

Thanks Paul - it's actually 17 inch alloy wheels (R17). It was pumped up to 38psi when I collected it but I reduced down to 32 psi that was recommended for 2 passenges but it didn't seem to make a difference that I could notice.

Seriously starting to wonder if I have a bit of a dud model.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - paul 1963

My next thought is tyres, mines on the standard continental's, don't suppose your anywhere near me in Surrey? you would be quite welcome to drive mine ( in a covid secure way).

I assume they are the standard for the car - it was an ex courtesy car so only owned by Vauxhall, Tyres are continental 215/60 R17. I am in Surrey - Old Cousldon, CR5 postcode!

What car did you come from to the Mokka X Kelboy?. Because that could make a difference in your perspective!.

Hi there - it was a 2016 Hyundai i20, 1.2 engine. For a no frills hatchback it was actually a very smooth and easy drive.

OK, it isn't something renowned for its smooth ride, but on modest sized tyres it would have a decent enough ride. We had an i30 in 2014, it had quite small tyres and the ride was pretty reasonable, low noise levels from those tyres too.

The Mokka is a pretty tall car, even for its class (most SUV/crossover types aren't as tall as their styling suggests). But it is also quite short, so Vauxhall have chosen a fairly stiff suspension setup in order to reduce body roll and make it feel a bit more sporty. The high seating position magnifies the jiggly feeling you get as a result of that. It is one of the common dynamic flaws of that type of car. That can be overcome in high end stuff, to a degree anyway, by fancy active suspension. But that isn't really viable in a smaller cheaper SUV.

Thank you for the useful info and very good to know before I go and make a knee jerk decision. I will digest and assess!

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - catsdad

The Mokka owners club forum has a lot of discussion about tyre pressure and ride. To me this does suggest an inherent problem. In general the advice is to lower pressure to 32, as you have done.

The problem I would have is once it’s in my head that the ride is harsh I would find it hard to ignore every bump and shudder even if it was in fact normal.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - RT

I recall that the Mokka was developed by GM Korea (ex-Daewoo), like its siblings Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax, and was originally launched with global suspension settings but attracted major criticism during the UK launch and Vauxhall developed their own settings to suit UK roads - however they won't have been able to change very much so it's likely still compromised.

I might be painting a negative picture, but they are not all bad!.

As well as the C-HR, there is the Mazda CX-3, both of which strike a great balance between ride and handling (both quite a bit lower in height than the Mokka). There is also the new Ford Puma, but as that is pretty much brand new, it ain't gonna be in the same price bracket as a 2019 Mokka X!.

I know you said you don't like them, but the Citroen C3 Aircross is almost as tall as the Mokka, but Citroen have deliberately gone for a laid back vibe, accepting some body roll for a smoother ride. The C4 Cactus is slightly different again as although it is mechanically pretty much the same under the skin, it is much lighter and lower in height than the C3 Aircross. This means that it has a very plush ride, but also handles with some aplomb.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - Metropolis.
Drove a 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer on holiday once, handled well, rode smoothly and had lovely cloth seats prevented aches. Deceptively fast too. It can be done! Why GM could get it so right across the pond but not for us is a mystery to me, I can only blame our BMW 3 series obsessed car reviewers.

Thanks it's a really good insight and all useful info.

I am starting to think it is a Mokka issue, having looked at what second hand Mokka's go for (incase I decide to sell) it seems there are LOADS being sold that are only a few years old, and at a lot less cost than their original OTR price. Its a bitter pill I may have to swallow

I wouldn't read too much into that. Vauxhalls traditionally don't hold their value well.

Big discounts are to be had by bulk buyers, so lease cars, hire cars, Motability cars and various other sources come flooding onto the market at 2 to 3 years old once they have served their initial purpose.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - SLO76
Most SUV’s have a knobbly ride quality barring those prestige brands with complex air suspension such as the Range Rover. The Volvo XC60 we own is rather lumpy, bordering on uncomfortable over potholes and bumps at lower speeds. The Honda CRV we had before was better but still not as good as an equivalent saloon, hatchback or estate. The Mokka isn’t the car to have if ride comfort is particularly important and there’s little you’ll be able to do to improve it. It’s a case of live with it or part with money.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/03/2021 at 20:03

The Range Rover classic on cool springs acquitted itself very well, long travel springs, load leveller in the rear so it could stay level towing and no anti roll bars! Rode much better than modern crossovers but handled like a boat.
Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - brum

Check whether the transport blocks have been removed.

Transport blocks are (usually plastic) thick spacers clipped on the shock absorber shafts under the dust covers during factory build. They are placed there to limit vertical movement of the suspension during assembly and delivery when the car may be loaded/unloaded on transporters etc to limit possibilty of damage to the underside bits of the car.They are removed after the car is finally delivered to the dealer as part of the pdi.

Except certain dopy dealers forget to remove them, or even do a full PDI.

Symptoms when they are left behind are a very hard and harsh ride with frequent loud banging over potholes and speed humps due to the limited suspension travel possible.

Check whether the transport blocks have been removed.

Transport blocks are (usually plastic) thick spacers clipped on the shock absorber shafts under the dust covers during factory build. They are placed there to limit vertical movement of the suspension during assembly and delivery when the car may be loaded/unloaded on transporters etc to limit possibilty of damage to the underside bits of the car.They are removed after the car is finally delivered to the dealer as part of the pdi.

Except certain dopy dealers forget to remove them, or even do a full PDI.

Symptoms when they are left behind are a very hard and harsh ride with frequent loud banging over potholes and speed humps due to the limited suspension travel possible.

Good point. It’s not unheard of for this to happen but it’s rare.
Good point!
Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - Mr Mc
Query ..... have the bump stops definitely been removed at the PDI ? Most likely the inherent design of a compact high riding SUV as previously mentioned, but possibly worth checking.
Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - Xileno

A work colleague had that problems with a Polo about fifteen years ago. He complained the ride was a bit harsh and it turned out the bump stops had not been removed at the PDI...

Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - catsdad

Bump stops are not the same as the temporary blocks used in transit. Bump stops are part of the cars suspension system.

Bump stops are not the same as the temporary blocks used in transit. Bump stops are part of the cars suspension system.

Yes, you’re right. This is what we’re on about. Asking your dealer to remove the “bump stops” will result in a strange look and a swift rejection.
Vauxhall Mokka X - Vauxhall Mokka X very bumpy ride - MTD
OP
If I was you, try test driving another similar SUV or even another mokka to see if the bumpy ness is just you getting used to another style of car. I personally do find suv’s bounce more than normal cars, I’m driving a mokka at the moment and it’s no worse than other suv’s To drive but inferior to normal hatchbacks imho

Life is too short to drive a car you don’t like though. You just need to find out is it that particular car, that particular model, or the more general style that you don’t like.