Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - CluelessNik

I'm looking for a second hand compact MPV, or a compact car, ideally with a higher driver seat than normal cars. Narrowed it down to Mercedes B Class (although it does look quite big), Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20. I looked at Ford B-Max but noticed the absence of a pillar between front and back door makes getting in/out for an elderly relative quite difficult (nothing to hold on to).

This would be a first car, so on the one hand I want something small (think a second hand Citroen C1, or Mazda 2) but cannot find anything like that with a higher driver seat, but as I also want a slightly bigger boot than the C1, I started looking at these mini-MPVs. Guess I also have to consider insurance, and am unsure which of these is better in that way.

Can you suggest some options, or have any ideas on how reliable these cars are? Can probably afford max £3500. I did not mention Merc A Class as I didnt see great reviews of it.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - CluelessNik

Just a correction - £3500 is absolute stretch max. Ideally looking to max at £2500ish

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - badbusdriver

I think the Merc A Class is very closely related under the skin to the B Class, so any reliability issues (and they are not great in that respect) will affect both cars.

Kia Venga and Hyundai ix20 are the same car under the skin, Pretty simple and reliable cars, very short length in relation to interior space, due to the height. Good cars and definitely worth looking at given your requirements.

If you want something shorter still, look at the Suzuki Splash and Vauxhall Agila (2nd gen). These two are, again, essentially the same car, though I think they do use their own engines. Both very reliable, but I seem to remember reading that the Suzuki is better equipped. The boot is quite small though.

You might also have a look at the Kia Soul. This is pretty much the same as the Venga/ix20 though I believe you don't get the 1.4 petrol, starts with a 1.6.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - badbusdriver

Couple of others. You mentioned the B-Max, and while I don't rate them myself, it is a moot point as even £3.5k is not going to give you much selection. But what I do rate is the B-Max's predecessor, the Fusion. This was Fiesta based, slightly taller, boxier and usefully roomier, including the boot. We had one ourselves for three years and it was a greatlittle car, unfairly ignored by the masses.

Also the Nisan Note. Ideally the 1st generation, up to 2013, which comes as a 1.4 and 1.6 petrol along with a 1.5 turbo diesel. All are reliable and have a lot of interior space for their size.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - elekie&a/c doctor
For that kind of budget, I’d be looking at a Honda jazz . Reliable and functional. Should get a 10 year old model at this money .

I have had colleagues have their catalytic converter nicked in Honda cars so I put that idea to the side, especially in inner London. Is that a bit premature of me or wise?

Just looked at Kia and Hyundai on a couple of used car sites. Noticed that while there are about 40 or so Kia under £3000, only around 10 Hyundai under same price bracket. Is there anything special about Hyundai to justify additional cost/fewer of them being at similar price as Kia, considering both cars are essentially the same?

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - daveyK_UK
B class has a number of common faults , few of which are cheap to put right

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - Rerepo

What about Mitsubishi Colt. Recently picked up a 2005 model for free (more or less an abandoned car that had stood for over a year). Started up and runs great apart from rusty brakes. Seems a very solid and practical car which I am told are very reliable. Aftermarket parts are cheap (pair of BluePrint discs from Amazon for £28 delivered, pads for £15). The 5 door is like a mini MPV and roomy inside.

A lowish mileage 2012 model here:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102078802220?a...3

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - _

Identical cars, different styling.

I had one, would highly recommend a Venga.

Tardis like inside. I mentioned before in another post, 5 adults ad 2 full size suitcases to and from Gatwick no problem.

ORB

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012076860677?a...1

nice level of kit, fair price.

Don't go near an old a class merc. (or a b)

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/03/2021 at 14:43

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - johncyprus

“ I have had colleagues have their catalytic converter nicked in Honda cars so I put that idea to the side, especially in inner London. Is that a bit premature of me or wise?”

Only the Mk1 Jazz ( 2002-2008 )is vulnerable to cat theft, the cats in the later versions are safe.

Edited by johncyprus on 06/03/2021 at 14:44

Just looked at Kia and Hyundai on a couple of used car sites. Noticed that while there are about 40 or so Kia under £3000, only around 10 Hyundai under same price bracket. Is there anything special about Hyundai to justify additional cost/fewer of them being at similar price as Kia, considering both cars are essentially the same?

Nothing to do with the Hyundai holding its value better, there were simply a lot more Venga's sold than ix20's.

As to why that was?, no idea, but I do remember reading a few years ago that Hyundai considered themselves slightly higher up the desirability later than Kia (true story!). So it is possible the Venga was slightly cheaper and as someone buying a car like this is more interested in practicality than image, it wouldn't make much sense to pay more for the same car with a Hyundai badge!.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - RT

Nothing to do with the Hyundai holding its value better, there were simply a lot more Venga's sold than ix20's.

As to why that was?, no idea, but I do remember reading a few years ago that Hyundai considered themselves slightly higher up the desirability later than Kia (true story!). So it is possible the Venga was slightly cheaper and as someone buying a car like this is more interested in practicality than image, it wouldn't make much sense to pay more for the same car with a Hyundai badge!.

Kia's longer warranty is enough to sway some buyers over the Hyundai sibling.

Of course, I was forgetting about that!. I mean I have also read that Hyundai's warranty, though shorter, was more comprehensive, but whether or not that is true, most folk would just see 7 year warranty vs 5 year warranty.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - galileo

Of course, I was forgetting about that!. I mean I have also read that Hyundai's warranty, though shorter, was more comprehensive, but whether or not that is true, most folk would just see 7 year warranty vs 5 year warranty.

Hyundai warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage, Kia is 7 years but limited (I think) to100,000 miles.

These are v helpful ideas - many thanks.

So I am starting to narrow it down to the Kia Venga (no point paying more for the same car with a different badge (Hyundai)), and some of the other cars you have mentioned. I am more or less dropping the idea of the Mercedes as I havent seen a single comment praising it! Am very surprised by how cheap the Mitsubishi Colt is. Will look at Suzuki Splash too. And post-2008 Jazz although I think the seat height in that car (having sat in a friend's) is not high enough. Ford Fusion is also an option but was surprised it seemed more expensive than I expected because it looks so square.

As this would be my first car, bit worried about ordering parts from Amazon (re Colt suggestion); am very new to cars so just really need something that does what it says on the tin - just want something to run reliably for basic short local trips and the odd A road into central London or heading to suburbs, and then once get more confident maybe short motorway trips.

So from the ones mentioned in this thread, are they all pretty reliable or does one stand out?

For insurance as a first time driver (but as a late learner ie not young), do I look at a particular litre engine to lower cost or is there anything in special I should look out for on adverts - is there always an insurance category mentioned that I should look for?

Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Kia Venga, Hyundai iX20 - Best used mini-MPV/compact car? - _

These are v helpful ideas - many thanks.

So I am starting to narrow it down to the Kia Venga (no point paying more for the same car with a different badge (Hyundai)), and some of the other cars you have mentioned. I am more or less dropping the idea of the Mercedes as I havent seen a single comment praising it! Am very surprised by how cheap the Mitsubishi Colt is. Will look at Suzuki Splash too. And post-2008 Jazz although I think the seat height in that car (having sat in a friend's) is not high enough. Ford Fusion is also an option but was surprised it seemed more expensive than I expected because it looks so square.

As this would be my first car, bit worried about ordering parts from Amazon (re Colt suggestion); am very new to cars so just really need something that does what it says on the tin - just want something to run reliably for basic short local trips and the odd A road into central London or heading to suburbs, and then once get more confident maybe short motorway trips.

So from the ones mentioned in this thread, are they all pretty reliable or does one stand out?

For insurance as a first time driver (but as a late learner ie not young), do I look at a particular litre engine to lower cost or is there anything in special I should look out for on adverts - is there always an insurance category mentioned that I should look for?

I am 6 foot 2 in old money and 15 stone and the venga was a good place to be.

Venga mechanical service parts are cheap.