What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lottery Win? - Phoenicks
Another useless, but interesting question!

What car(s) would you buy if you won the lottery?

rules- No Macca F1 - everyone would!
No Enzo - Coz you couldnt!

This should be fun......

Mines would be:

If i could buy one car only it would be a Ferrari 360 Spyder, because it just makes you ache for one. Grigio Alloy thanks.

If I was choosing a few it would be Porsche 996 Turbo for everyday, Ferrari 360 Spyder (as above) and Range Rover Vogue with an Overfinch package. An F40 for fun - if you need to know why, what are you doing on this site?!

Lottery Win? - steveb
Audi S6 Avant for "everyday" use.
Merc SLR for "the weekend" .... ohh err.

Steve
Lottery Win? - teabelly
There are so many!

Hmm. Aston Martin DB7, DB6, Vantage (mid eighties and nineties versions), Vanquish.
TVR tuscan S and probably a cerbera too.
Lambourghini Miura, possibly a murcialago if they do them in a tasteful colour
E type jag, jensen interceptor mk1 and an FF, citroen ds
Ford Mustang convertible and also shelby gt550 tin top
Lancia fulvia, stratos and probably an integrale Evo II in lagos blue
Porsche 911, eighties with the whale tail and current equivalent.
Ferrari daytona
Range rover, again overfinched (may even get a ford focus to tow ;-) )
Mitsubishi Evo 7
Skyline GT-R vspec
Lotus Esprit, elan and probably an elise as a sensible every day runabout :-)
Mercedes something with auto everything & comfy seats for long distance wafting, probably with a folding roof so I can do some top down comfortable cruising
A cheap shed if I needed to go somewhere rough!
A smart for city driving and shopping.
That mad dutch trike thing they had on Top Gear for getting strange looks from passers by.

If it had to be only one of the above then I'd be in trouble!

teabelly
Lottery Win? - martint123
If the win was big enough, I'd try to buy Cadwell Park.
Lottery Win? - Pugugly {P}
BMW M3 and a 330d Touring. Possibly a new Defender but proably not.
Lottery Win? - Rob the Bus {P}
Crikey Phoenicks, that's one heck of a question!

How long have you got?

These are in no particular order, so here goes...

Bentley Arnage (I may have got the name wrong there)
Lotus Elise (and giant shoe-horn to get my gut behind the wheel)
Jaguar XK8 (a mate's got one and I want one too!)
Jaguar XJS (a well-sorted late 70s one)
Triumph Stag
Triumph TR4
MGB Roadster (predictable, but damn sexy)
Austin Landcrab (no, really!)
Mk II Granada 2.8i Ghia X
Daimler SP250 Dart
Mini (one of the first if possible)
Mini Cooper (likewise)
Audi All-Road
Aston Martin Lagonda (how many do you see these days?)
Morris Marina 1800TC (see Austin Landcrab)
Leyland Atlantean (one of Southport Corporation's finest)
Leyland National (likewise)
AEC Routemaster

I dare say that more will occur to me throughout the next few hours. I should point out that the above list is not a 'perm any' - it is actually the list of vehicles that I would buy! Just got to hope that I'm on good terms with the local planning committee so they'll let me build a big enough garage.

Cheers

Rob

"Bucket o'lard"
Lottery Win? - hootie
Blimey - how much were you thinking of winning then TB?
You'd probably need somewhere with a bigger garage too.

I'm off to bed, so I can think over my shopping list before the sand man gets me ;) (whatever, I'd still keep the Yaris that hasn't even been delivered yet!)

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
Lottery Win? - cholin
Totally restored MGA
WW2 Jeep
Something large and chauffeur driven for 'down the pub'
Or if the win was big enough something even larger to bring the pub to me.
Actually Hootie, I would be hard-pressed to live somewhere larger than I do now. I am currently typing this in the east wing, gazing out across the rolling hills that form part of my huge estate. Tomorrow, I may post from the west wing. Or perhaps from the roof terrace.

Trouble is, I pay even more tax than you now!

Oh, and to get back to the thread I think that one of those old fashioned (I am referring to the 70s here) Leyland lorries with the weird cab design wouldn't go amiss.

Right, I'm off to go and bag me some deer.

Toodle pip

Rob
"Lord of Lard"
Lottery Win? - smokie
A Caterham/Lotus 7 for the first few months (summer win of course). A motorised skateboard has always appealed.

Then something sporty and American, with a deep throbbing exhaust noise. Probably not new - TransAm or similar.

Always fancied an American style pickup truck, but pretty pointless as I have nothing to pick up.

Then the TVR, so long as I can afford the garage bills too.

But once I'd got those out of my system, I'd be happy to go back to my Omega MV6, which would have been professionally valeted (cos it needs it badly!)
Lottery Win? - I P Freely {P}
If I won the lottery, then I'd buy every "soft-roader" in existence and drive 'em all off Clacton Pier.

So there.
Lottery Win? - bugged {P}
IPF can I help you drive 'em off the pier???

Id have the following in no order

A hummer
landrover defender the tomb raider one
lotus elise
subaru impreza for everyday
volvo v70 R for the other half!
a bentley
a motorbike
a porsche
and a helicopter
Lottery Win? - Garethj
I've made a deal with a couple of friends that if any of us win big we have to give the others £100,000, but they HAVE to spend it all on cars. Petrolheads?

I'd start with

1980s Lancia 037 Rallye (if only I had the talent to drive it well)
1930s Cord 810 (Automotive art)
1930s Tatra 87 (Automotive art and technology)
1929 Bentley (Chocks away!)

And probably an Audi A8 for when I had to get somewhere but the big grin wasn't required.

Gareth
Lottery Win? - Nsar
A nice pair of Bristols....

A vintage Beaufighter and that new mental model they've just launched
Lottery Win? - hootie
Lord Rob you made me LOL this morning (bit worried about Bambi now though!)

I think reading through, this lottery win'll have to be one of the American ones, or a multiple roll over.

As a woman you see, and quite an organised person at that .. (sits back and waits for the comments to be lobbed) I'd make a list (I like lists)

An "absolute dream car"
A "dream car" with some performance
A "sensible" good car
A "practical" car
and a "maverick" just because I can car

I'd make a few choices and then let Mr H have the final say -
I'm currently thinking along the lines of a Panther de Ville in really good condition, an Aston Martin (the DB7 Volante or the V12 Vanquish) Jaguar XK8, BMW X5 and a Landrover Defender.

Guess I'm just not that 'passionate' about cars, more practical about them, cos I'd think very seriously about just hiring what I fancied (at the top end) *when* I was in the country!
(or I'd see if I could pop around to one of your houses and borrow one!)

I'd be a bit worried about parking all but the last two, unless in the grounds of a country hotel :(

ps Mr H wants a Porsche, but I just don't like them - am I mean?
(not that we're in a position to get one anyway)

Lottery Win? - Dan J
A nice pair of Bristols....

I was thinking along much the same lines Nsar :o)
Lottery Win? - sean
"I am currently typing this in the east wing, gazing out across the rolling hills that form part of my huge estate. Tomorrow, I may post from the west wing."

I'm just the same, Rob.

If you ask matron nicely she'll let you go in the south wing next. They let you write with crayons in there, you know.

Tee Hee.
Lottery Win? - corblimeyguvnar
woohoo

triumph dolomite 1850 hl (dont ask)
lambo countach 5000 qv (mmmmm)
merc slk (for er indoors)
mg (for er indoors when she knackered the clutch on the merc)
yamaha fs1e (i know, its not a car)
bmw z3 (for ar kid so she can stuff the nova rude boys)
tvr chimeara (cos my dad couldnt afford to keep his, ha)
bentley (cos i can)

Drink Lager Talk Piffle
Lottery Win? - Wally Zebon
Audi RS6 Avant for everyday wardrobe transportation.
Porsche 911 Turbo for weekend thrashes.
Classic 911 for posing.
Brabus S V12 (a tweeked SL600) for continental cruising.
Ferarri 456 for when in Italy.
Some form of 400BHP+ 4 wheel drive monster in a Nova bodyshell for scaring off all the boy racers on a Saturday night.
And a Mini Cooper for popping down the shops.

I'd get change from half a million which I'd spend on personal plates for them all.

Its nice to dream.......

Lottery Win? - Roger Jones
Me? Probably MB E-class 3.2; possibly S-class 3.2. Larger engines don't make much sense, given my driving style. Forget the exotica -- my dodgy spine wouldn't even let me into them.
Lottery Win? - joe
I would have only 2 cars.

A top of the range Audi estate for family duties/school runs etc. It would be in black (as I would not have to clean it myself.)

My car would be a special design. I know in my head what it would look like (I've played this game before!). It would be a bit Mustangy, and would have a 5 litre V8, purely for the soundtrack. It would have modern suspension and brakes, and switchable traction.

It would have a fabulous stereo, plus all the required toys, radar detectors etc, but would look like a vintage car.

It would be red.

It would have a skull motif gearknob, and I would have a button inside the car that would make flames come out of the exhaust pipes. It would do 0-60 in about 3 seconds, and would just keep going like an express train. It would have stealth technology and be immune to speed traps. It would have an autopilot that automatically took control if it sensed that the driver was about to do something too silly. It would be impregnated with pheremones that made the driver sexually irresistable to young and attractive members of the opposite sex, and therefore it would also have smoked glass windows, fully reclining seats and a heavy dury airconditioner and large capacity drinks tray.

It would be more resistant to thieves and vandals than Knightrider's car (KITT?).

Thats enough for starters.
Lottery Win? - Chad.R
A virtual question which I'm sure we would all like to answer in reality.....

On the day after winning the lottery I'd buy either a BMW M5 or an Audi RS6 Avant and take the family out to celebrate our good fortune.
The next day I'd present myself with a 911 Turbo (996) for diligently picking the right numbers on the lucky dip.
The day after that, I'd buy a Merc S600 limo and a chauffeur to drive it because if I haven't already lost my license, I will be doing so, very soon.

All these would be on the shopping list;

Lambo Diablo - one of the last "Audified" models.
Merc S55 AMG - for when the weather can't make up it's mind.
Hummer - So I would never need to give way to anybody again on the school run.
Ferrari 456 GT - For quicks trips over the channel.

The list is actually endless - I can think of a different car for almost every occasion......

.....only if.

Chad.R
Lottery Win? - bradgate
Great question,

Everyday runabout - Mini Cooper S Works
Family car - Overfinch Range Rover Vogue (cream leather and cherry wood, pls)
Toy 1 - Ducati 998
Toy 2 - Caterham SV
Practical car - chipped Defender 90 td5

That lot should do!

Lottery Win? - topaktas
Contributors who would choose to buy German might wish to read the "Why are VW dealers so dreadful" thread and review their choices.
Lottery Win? - AR-CoolC
Ah.

You've just won the lottery so you don't actually deal with the dealer yourself, you have a man to do that for you.
Lottery Win? - Wally Zebon
If it breaks down, I'll just buy a new one!

Lottery Win? - topaktas
Person, surely....
Lottery Win? - topaktas
My last posting was for Glass-tech.

By the way, why is the timing of this BB GMT and not BST?
Lottery Win? - AR-CoolC
Sorry - you'r right.

How very un PC of me.
Lottery Win? - 3500S
Hmm, what a fantastic thread.

The ultimate Rover 3500S, a detuned TVR Griff engine, five speed, reworked final drive and rear diff, stiffer suspension, revised brakes. Of course totally rebuilt and immaculate. Might even try to fit a Rover 2S160 gas turbine into it ;)

Citroen DS and DS Decapotable.
Dolly Sprint
Metro 6R4
Bentley Continental S1 (Mulliner 2 door drophead coupe)
Ferrari Dino
Alvis TE21 Drophead Coupe Convertible.
1966 works Cooper S
MGA
Rover SD1 Vitesse (Twin Plenum)
E-Type Jag Mk1
Jaguar MkII 4.3L
Ford Mustang Coupe
Aston Martin DB5
Jaguar XJ Sport
Ford GT40

and last and not least

Rover 75 ;) I'd keep my car.
Lottery Win? - Phoenicks
Ok, my thread - new rules!!!

Thanks to everyone who has replied - fantastic.

However in reality (which of course winning the lottery isnt) most people wouldnt buy 9-15 cars!

So the new rule is this:

Max £150,000. One Car. What would it be?

I'd still pick the Ferrari 360 Spyder. However, I saw an all black one with black leather and a black challenge grill on Tom Hartley's site - thats the one for me.
Hi Phoenicks

This is a great thread, isn't it! As thread starter, of course you may stipulate the rules, but I should just point out that I really would buy all the vehicles mentioned in my post - really!

Anyway, if I had to pick just one then it would definitely be the Bentley - see my signtaure for an explanation!

Cheers

Rob
"I'm built for comfort, not speed"
Oh, by the way, HF says that she'd like a nice shiny blue one with a smiley front. Tch!

Cheers

Rob
"I'm built for comfort, not speed"
Lottery Win? - Dan J
A Scorpio?! :)
Lottery Win? - Phoenicks
Thanks Rob. I like to discuss the what if's quite a lot. No offense to anyone else intended but i find some of the other subjects a little bit 'too old' for me! (and i'm 26!) Its good to dream and if you can ever dream about something, it has to be cars.
Lottery Win? - waterboy
Ferrari 550 Maranello without a doubt - but can I keep Toad (Supra TT) pleas?

Tomo as was!
Lottery Win? - kex
For posing : Citroen DS convertable, only ever seen on in the flesh Sooooooo Coooool (small lottery win)

For General day to day use Audi RS8, ultimate load lugger.

For Fun: Hmmm not so sure which one, but me thinks a Porsche

Oh and a Riva, no not the Lada type ??????

Lottery Win? - Phoenicks

Would you be referring to Riva - the very expensive italian boats?
Lottery Win? - kex
Oh yes, although it would have to be a quad rollover on a superdraw week win to be able to afford one !!!!!!
Lottery Win? - Phoenicks
How much do they start at? About 500k or so?
Lottery Win? - kex
I,m not dreaming base model here !!!!!!! At least 20m long, suppose I could lower my sight and go for a Sunseeker :(
Lottery Win? - Phoenicks
As far as i know i thought they were open top 50's style motor cruisers. I didnt think they were that big!
Lottery Win? - kex
Check out the Web site, thats exactly what I thought but they are now as big 44m with 12 Berths !!!! SERIOUS money.
Lottery Win? - Rosanbo
I would buy for sure a new Land Rover Defender
also an Audi A8.

In addition I might like the following classics

VW beetle pre 1972
Austin 30 or 35
Triumph Vitesse
MG TF
Morris minor traveller, or convertible.

Sorry if that breaks the new rules for the thread but all my cars put together would probably be less than 150k

In addition I would emigrate to Egypt in which case I would only take the Defender and the A8 with me.
I've changed my mind - I don't want an Arnage any more. After reading the Telegraph today, I want one of those absolutely gorgeously new Bentley coupe thingies. My God they are sexy!

Cheers

Rob
"Lord of Lard"
Lottery Win? - Ben79
I'd personally buy a Citroen 2CV6 and renovate everything, and a DS for a bit of classic style. Not to mention a heated dehumidified garage.

Just to complete the stable, why not have a top of the range Citroen C5 for everyday knocking about in.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.
Lottery Win? - hootie
There was a Motoring section then yesterday? mine was missing :(

Lottery Win? - Martin Devon
Triumph Vitesse 2ltr soft top and Rover p6 auto.

mmmmmm I can feel things stiffening already.

Regards.