What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - Darren Anteney

Hi all,

I hope everyone is ok and keeping safe!

I have an old 2007 honda civic 1.8 which has not been used much since Jan 20 but I since I have started to reuse this car the mpg seems poor.

I filled up to 3/4 of a tank and have done around 120 miles but now I'm showing as less than 1/4 left. Which seems like I have used a large amount of fuel? Could be wrong but I was surprised. According to the trip I'm doing 52mpg...

Car has only done 280 miles since the last service in march 20.

Has anyone else experienced this ? I don't know if it's one of those things where because it has not been used the plugs need changing or water in the tank/piped meaning poor fuel economy?

My knowledge of this is limited so any help advice without paying £££s would be great.

Thanks, Darren

Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - Bolt

Hi all,

I hope everyone is ok and keeping safe!

I have an old 2007 honda civic 1.8 which has not been used much since Jan 20 but I since I have started to reuse this car the mpg seems poor.

I filled up to 3/4 of a tank and have done around 120 miles but now I'm showing as less than 1/4 left. Which seems like I have used a large amount of fuel? Could be wrong but I was surprised. According to the trip I'm doing 52mpg...

Car has only done 280 miles since the last service in march 20.

Has anyone else experienced this ? I don't know if it's one of those things where because it has not been used the plugs need changing or water in the tank/piped meaning poor fuel economy?

My knowledge of this is limited so any help advice without paying £££s would be great.

Thanks, Darren

Hi, doesn't sound bad to me but you would be better off filling it up and see what mileage you get from a full tank, I often put £20 in from 3rd of a tank on the gauge which in winter gives around the 120, 130 miles, in summer about 150 so imo your not far out.

but its more accurate if you do a full tank, and as the filler tube holds a lot a full tank is the most accurate way to check, the computer readout imo is about 5-8 mpg more than you are getting, but also depends on area you are in, ie flattish or hilly

I`m in a hilly area so mpg is down compared to some I have known

Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - sammy1

You cannot rely on the fuel gauge and new plugs won't make any difference. If you are making short trips in winter mpg will be low. As suggested brim the tank and see how far you go before you brim it again

Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - focussed

If it's been parked up for long periods of time outside I would be checking the air filter box for signs of uninvited guests - mice. Usually it's nesting material, seeds , nut shells etc.

Meaning semi-blocked filter giving bad economy etc.

Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - privateinvestor

Just get it properly serviced and put two tanks of brand new Shell V power and then feel the difference. just a thought...and take it for a long motorway run...also check brakes are not stick/bining and tyres a re pumped up/ tracking ok etc etc

Civic 1.8 VTEC - Poor fuel economy after little use for 12mths - catsdad
Fuel gauges are marked as linear but in my experience tend not to be in real life. My present car drifts down to 1/4 full the drops like a stone. As others have said, brim it then refill after a good few miles to get a truer measure.
It can't be disasterously high consumption if the computer reads so high. But again these are notoriously inaccurate too so only treat it as a rough figure.