What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
100 years of Mazda - badbusdriver

Been reading an article in Autocar magazine (from 2nd December last year) celebrating 100 years of Mazda. It was an interesting piece, lots of stuff in there I was completely unaware of, but very much highlighting the innovation and determination to 'go their own way', bucking the accepted trends and methods of the times.

A few things jumped out, first of these were the fact that from 1987 through into the 90's, Mazda were the official importers of Citroen cars into Japan, starting with the BX. They also, for a short time (no dates given), sold Lancia cars. Both of these were done through Mazda's own portfolio of 'brands', Citroen being sold through Eunos dealers, and Lancia by Autozam.

In terms of vehicles, one of the standout cars for me, in terms its looks, was the beautiful (rotary engined) Cosmo which ran from 1967 to 1972. But I was also taken by the first Mazda car, the R360 from 1960. Being a kei car meant it was tiny, and used (as the name implies) a 360c engine. But this didn't stop the unexpected sophistication of allround independent suspension. The USA has always been a big market, and to that end, Mazda decided to enter the pickup market. But being the mavericks they were, perhaps unwisely, decided their pickup would use a rotary engine. The four carb, twin rotor unit revved to 7000rpm, a bit different to the big V8's of the US pickups!. It won't come as a surprise to learn that it wasn't a big success, selling around 15000 between 1974 and 1977. But they are now highly prized by collectors!. As an ex bus driver, I was also interested in the 1976 Mazda Parkway Rotary 26 (seater) bus. This used a 135bhp development of the RX7's engine and could hit 75mph, but fuel consumption would likely be catastrophic!.

There was a section on innovations, such as that Mazda were the first company to use recycled materials on a car (1992). Four wheel steering, while Honda were the first company to fit this in a production car in 1987 (the Prelude), it was a mechanical system. The following year Mazda fitted the first electronic system to the 626. Stop start technology is very much the norm these days. When it first started making an appearance (possibly still the case now), manufacturers would buy in the tech from outside suppliers, but Mazda made its own system. Sensors detected which piston was on a power-stroke when the engine stopped enabling it to restart more smoothly and efficiently than other systems. Mazda fitted the first sat nav with real-time positioning to the 1990 Eunos Cosmo.

The rotary engine has something of the Marmite effect about it, but I can't imagine any petrolhead not enjoying the screaming soundtrack of the 787B (which won at Le Mans in 1991) in this short YouTube clip, so turn the volume up!

watch

100 years of Mazda - bathtub tom

It was alleged the other teams in the Le Mans pit lane would applaud when Mazda switched the engine OFF.

100 years of Mazda - SLO76
No secret that I’m a big Mazda fan. They’ve built some of my favourite cars over the years despite not being a premium brand. They’ve often managed to combine driver appeal with working person affordability and a dose of individuality. Sadly the cost of keeping up with emissions control regulations in Europe (and the UK who’ve agreed to follow them) will either see Mazda reduce their range, offer more rebranded Toyota’s or withdraw altogether like Mitsubishi and soon Subaru.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/02/2021 at 14:29

100 years of Mazda - Rerepo
No secret that I’m a big Mazda fan. They’ve built some of my favourite cars over the years despite not being a premium brand. They’ve often managed to combine driver appeal with working person affordability and a dose of individuality. Sadly the cost of keeping up with emissions control regulations in Europe (and the UK who’ve agreed to follow them)

I really fail to understand our governments craven subservience to the 'evil empire'. We've left the EU and should go our own way! That includes repealing ridiculous emission laws (which have also forced many small paint sprayers to close up) and bonkers 'elf 'n safety regulations which hobble business.

100 years of Mazda - Andrew-T

<< We've left the EU and should go our own way! That includes repealing ridiculous emission laws (which have also forced many small paint sprayers to close up) and bonkers 'elf 'n safety regulations which hobble business. >>

Do you really like breathing air containing several hundred ppm of hydrocarbon ? Emission laws may be a pain, but I am glad that walking along a street with busy traffic is reasonably pleasant, except when a Morris Minor passes (for example). It didn't matter quite so much when traffic was about a tenth of what it is today.

Never mind, when everything is powered by hydrogen fuel cells the air we breathe will just be a little wetter.

“ I really fail to understand our governments craven subservience to the 'evil empire'. We've left the EU and should go our own way! That includes repealing ridiculous emission laws (which have also forced many small paint sprayers to close up) and bonkers 'elf 'n safety regulations which hobble business.”

This was always going to be part of any deal and now being outside of EU decision making we no longer have any say over such legislation. In order to make sure the UK doesn’t gain any ‘unfair’ advantage post Brexit within the free trade area we must abide by the crippling legislation which will drive people off the roads as it drives up costs.

New cars today are soaring in price thanks in part to such legislation and the reduction in competition we’re seeing as manufacturers leave the UK market thanks to costs and as Europe allows consolidation which is detrimental to customers. PSA for example now own Citroen, Vauxhall and effectively Fiat, they’re also sniffing round JLR. Renault also effectively own Nissan, Mitsubishi, Dacia and Lada. VAG own VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche and Bentley. Every year there’s less and less competition among car producers in Europe and the UK and this is rapidly pushing prices skyward. Ford are talking about ending car sales in Europe and smaller independent firms like Mazda are struggling to keep pace as we see with the new Mazda 2 being nothing more than a rebadged Toyota Yaris.
100 years of Mazda - Engineer Andy

One of my disappointments about Mazda is related to the (testbed) emissions issue - even though their cars (especially the [non-rotary] petrol engined ones) from the last few years appear to get far closer to the tested CO2 and mpg levels, because they didn't follow the route most others did with small capacity turbopetrols, they are now disadvantaged in Europe as what cars they can sell at a reasonable price, because of the corporate CO2 rules/fines per sale.

It means then a large chunk of their range of both cars (mainly larger MPVs) and especially higher output petrol engines are not available in the UK/EU, the 2.5L and 2.5T not being available in the last two veersions of the Mazda3 being the biggest disappointment for me. They are Down Under and especially in North America, but I'm certainly not upping sticks half way around the world just to be able to buy the car I want!

As you say SLO, Mazda now have a tie-up with Toyota, especially as regards hybrids - I actually advocated them taking it further so they could be the styling, handling and sporty car arm of Toyota, which each company taking the best elements from eachother.

It's not as though Mazda haven't been effectively owned by and using other platforms with their badge before, like with Ford, especially the late 90s Mazda 121 (literally a rebadged Fiesta) and the gen-1 Mazda 2, which is near enough a Ford Fiesta/Fusion with a different bodyshell. Even my gen-1 Mazda3 shares much of the floorpan with the Focus of that era (and very nice it is too for doing so).

100 years of Mazda - alan1302
and bonkers 'elf 'n safety regulations which hobble business.

And which prevent deaths in the workplaces...oh for the old days when you could die at work...bring it back! LOL

100 years of Mazda - Steveieb

Had one of the first Mazda s back in 1974 but my friend traded his immaculate Austin Healey 3000 for a RX3.

The fuel crises came along and the car lost 50% of its value in six months. His Healey is now worth at least £25 k

Which magazine award Mazda three best buys The two three and CX 3.

No mention of the CX5 diesel though!

100 years of Mazda - badbusdriver

Something else mentioned in the article was how close Mazda came to bringing out a rival to the Lexus LS400. The car, to be branded Amati, was to be launched in 1991 with a 4.6 litre V12(!). But the project was scuppered by the collapse of the Yen, and Mazda destroyed all development mules and engineering materials (sadly). Apparently brochures were printed, wouldn't mind one of them if they still exist!.

100 years of Mazda - Metropolis.
Any car that uses the LS400 as a benchmark, which had literally benchmarked all of the competition in the first place, would have been something very very special.

I can’t recall if we got the Mazda 929 in this country or not, but I rather liked the Kia Enterprise, purely on this video never saw one in real life, based on the 929 youtu.be/Ks0HJgdKf7E
100 years of Mazda - mcb100
‘The rotary engine has something of the Marmite effect about it, but I can't imagine any petrolhead not enjoying the screaming soundtrack of the 787B (which won at Le Mans in 1991) in this short YouTube clip, so turn the volume up!’

A friend was a member of the Mazda driver squad at Le Mans and can back up stories of the noise. A teammate (Volker Weidler), who won in 1991, had to retire as a racing driver aged 30 because of tinnitus probably caused by the quad rotor 787B.

As a manufacturer of road cars, I’ve a lot of time for them (and not just because I’ve worked for them). They’ve always marched to the beat of their own drum, and not been afraid to do things differently. They are very Japanese, with lots of Japanese terminology in use to describe features - I do remember the Mazda 5 having Karakuri folding seats, whilst Jinba Ittai describes the driving characteristics of a Kodo design car.
The more recent growth follows in step with the rebuilding of Hiroshima in 1945, and they cite a Mukainada spirit being the power behind coming back from oblivion. Mukainada is the suburb of Hiroshima that houses Mazda.

Edited by mcb100 on 07/02/2021 at 19:06

I’m no fan of the rotary design. My only experience comes at the wheel of several RX8’s that’ve passed through my hands over the years and as far as I’m concerned that was a great car in need of a good engine. The 4cyl 2.0 L series from the MX5 with a turbocharged bolted on worked well in the Ford Focus ST MK III and it would’ve been far quicker point to point, better on fuel and vastly more reliable than the flawed N/A rotary. No one has managed to make a robust rotary engine yet and with ever tougher emissions controls I’d say it’s had its day.
100 years of Mazda - bathtub tom

I reckon the rotary is no more than a re-designed 2-stroke. Although it does have tremendous grunt and a glorious sound.

Saab, Wartburg and Trabant 2-Ts?