What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - jivemonkey

Just wondering if anyone can provide any advice on the difference between these two cars in terms of ongoing maintenance and repair costs since whilst I prefer the A4 I've been reading a lot saying that it's not that reliable and I'm looking at a roundabout 2017 A4 Avant or Vauxhall Passat and much as I like the Audi I know nothing about cars and I'm a bit worried that even going to independent garages I'm going to get hit for ongoing expensive repairs with the Audi..... would appreciate anyone's views on this that has knowledge of Audi running costs

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - Moodyman

They share a lot of similarity under the skin, so I would imagine they're as reliable as each other.

The A4 will be just a bit more refined and possibly sportier to drive. Although in the same segment, the Passat is slightly larger so interior space will be greater.

Edited by Moodyman on 07/01/2021 at 13:54

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - skidpan

Buy a Skoda Superb. Its the same car under the skin but slightly bigger than both with far superior satisfaction and reliability ratings.

We have just bought our second, beats the other 2 hands down. You will also get a newer one for the same money.

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - Moodyman

As an Octavia owner, I concur Skoda's are better value for money. But, when I sit in my friend's A4 of the same era, I can tell why they cost more. They're smoother, with less noise intrusion and feel nicer to drive. They are however, a tad smaller than the comparative VW or Skoda.

Regarding reliability and customer satisfaction, is this because the Skoda's are the entry level into the VW group and so, less loaded with tech. And, because customers know they are entry level, their expectations are adjusted accordingly?

As a mechanic friend hears too often when an Audi owner takes his/her car in yet again: "but it's an Audi, it's a premium product and should be reliable".

Edited by Moodyman on 07/01/2021 at 14:38

As an Octavia owner, I concur Skoda's are better value for money. But, when I sit in my friend's A4 of the same era, I can tell why they cost more. They're smoother, with less noise intrusion and feel nicer to drive. They are however, a tad smaller than the comparative VW or Skoda.

We have tested 4 Octavias over the years and been disappointed every time. We found the finish OK and the space great but the level of noise and overall refinement was terrible. 3 were 1.4's with the simple beam rear suspension but when we tried a 2.0 diesel with the independent rear end it was no different. We had a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi with the simple beam rear suspension and it was fine.

This is why we bought the Superb. Whilst its bigger than we really need the fit, finish, quality and refinement are on a different level. Before we bought the 2nd Superb we tried a Passat Estate and it was no better in any respect but it was slightly smaller and more expensive.

Regarding reliability and customer satisfaction, is this because the Skoda's are the entry level into the VW group and so, less loaded with tech. And, because customers know they are entry level, their expectations are adjusted accordingly?

I would give a 100% reliability and satisfaction to Skoda not because they are cheaper but because the 3 we have bought over the past 4 years have only needed to visit the garage for servicing and the tech they have is just fine.

When I am spending my hard earned pension I do not adjust my expectations. I have every right to same quality of service as the next man.

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - kiss (keep it simple)

I think the Passat is Diesel only, but the A4 is available with either petrol or diesel. Friend has a 1.4 TSi A4 and remarks how quiet it is.

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - badbusdriver

I think the Passat is Diesel only, but the A4 is available with either petrol or diesel. Friend has a 1.4 TSi A4 and remarks how quiet it is.

The Passat was available with petrol too, but the diesel outnumbers petrol by a huge margin (18 petrol 2017 Passats on Autotrader vs 433 diesel, plus 74 hybrids).

I'd be going Skoda Superb myself though.

I think the Passat is Diesel only,

Pretty sure it was for a time but currently and some years ago it is also available as a petrol. Its also available been available as a PHEV for about 4 years with a short break when they increased the battery size/motor output.

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - Avant

".... 2017 A4 Avant or Vauxhall Passat...."

It's the Volkswagen Passat or Vauxhall Insignia. The Passat has a similar range of engines and transmissions to the Audi A4: I agree with the above posters that the Skoda Octavia and Superb (also similar mechanically) are better value for money, whether you buy new or used.

I've never tried a Vauxhall Insignia. Vauxhalls depreciate fast so you might find good value secondhand.

audi or vw - A4 avant v passat running costs - brum

2017 Audi A4 has a longitudinal engine and gearbox layout, 2017 VW passat is transverse. Based on different platforms, considerably different in many areas including suspension.

Audi dealers are likely to charge significantly higher labour rates than VW, to support their upmarket placing in the VAG group.

Look up fixed price servicing and maintenance for both.

www.audi.co.uk/account/fixed-price-services.html#/...N

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/servicing/...3

"Oil service" Audi£205, VW £184 (its an oil and filter change only)

"Major service" Audi £365, VW £354 (as above plus sometimes even a pollen filter and an "inspection")

Edited by brum on 07/01/2021 at 17:26