What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - BPL

Anyone know if you can fit higher profile tyres / rims to as Audi S4 Avant 2018? Back issues prevent use of 19" ones . Hopefully the dealer might oblige as people normally want the opposite...?

Any other thoughts on this car as a comfortable safe fast long term buy

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - RT

Anyone know if you can fit higher profile tyres / rims to as Audi S4 Avant 2018? Back issues prevent use of 19" ones . Hopefully the dealer might oblige as people normally want the opposite...?

Any other thoughts on this car as a comfortable safe fast long term buy

With back issues, changing the wheels/tyres should give an improved ride but really you should be looking at an A4, not the S4 which will have firmer springs and dampers.

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - edlithgow

Or a Citroen DS

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - BPL

I really want a last blast >=6 cylinder petrol car I don't think the A4 is > 2.0? Any other suggestions gratefully accepted p.s. not an RS4

Edited by BPL on 22/12/2020 at 14:59

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - badbusdriver

I really want a last blast >=6 cylinder petrol car

That may well be the case, but you also want comfort. Given that this desire for comfort is due to back problems, going for a sporty German car (as a general rule, these all have suspension which is too harsh for British roads) doesn't seem a very sensible choice.

As for your first post, yes, in theory you could put tyres with a taller sidewall on as long as the circumference of the tyre remains the same (within a small margin, can't remember for certain, but I think it is something like 2%). So you'd have to use a smaller diameter wheel to make the measurement the same. But, your insurers may not be too happy.

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - veloceman
You’ll need to ensure the smaller rims fit over the larger brakes on the S4
Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - Engineer Andy

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what are 'back issues' on cars? I've never heard the term applied to them before.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what are 'back issues' on cars? I've never heard the term applied to them before.

The OP has the back issues Andy, not the car!.

You’ll need to ensure the smaller rims fit over the larger brakes on the S4

Yes, of course, I was forgetting about that. Though I guess the brakes on an S4 won't be as big as an RS4.

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - Engineer Andy

The OP has the back issues Andy, not the car!.

Ohhhh! How embassrassking! Probably a good idea then to go for an A4 as said. :-)

Audi S4 Avant - Higher profile tyres etc - John F

I don't think fitting higher profile tyres will make a noticeable difference in softness - or in the case of an S4 - hardness of the suspension. I fitted 255/45 instead of 255/40 to my Audi A8 because they were half the price, and noticed no difference at all. As said, if you want a soft ride, don't buy a sports saloon, unless it has adjustable air suspension like mine.