What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The last post? - misar

The "spam" thread I started had two more posts at the end before it was locked, the last one being from me. If you were quick enough to read this post before avant deletes it (and probably bans me) you can see them xxxx

The rest of us are not able to delete posts we don't like, avant can. He claims to be against censorship. Apparently not if comments come too close to home.

(Link deleted - almost unbelievably, the posts linked to include the spam post.)

Edited by Avant on 28/11/2020 at 16:28

The last post? - FP

There was another post, from me, criticising yours.

I objected to your assertion that Avant is "happy" (your word) to allow spam and pointed out that he has no control over the way the site operates.

So there is no point in hammering Avant and personalising the issue. I'm not surprised if he finds your posts irritatingly pointless and removes them.

Edited by FP on 28/11/2020 at 11:09

The last post? - Avant

You think you've seen it all....

We've had some strange people on the forum but never before someone who deliberately re-posts a link to a spam post which had been deleted.

The final posts mentioned by Misar are still there in the 'spam' thread, apart of course from the spam post.. Closing the thread doesn't automatically delete the posts on it.

Once again many thanks FP.

The last post? - misar

You think you've seen it all....

We've had some strange people on the forum but never before someone who deliberately re-posts a link to a spam post which had been deleted.

The final posts mentioned by Misar are still there in the 'spam' thread, apart of course from the spam post.. Closing the thread doesn't automatically delete the posts on it.

Once again many thanks FP.

Both of those claims are untrue.

I just refuted the first one in another reply.

You also deleted a reply from me in which I explained that this apparently mindless spam has a real purpose. Here is a picture of that post showing its original location and time. Obviously there is no clickable link to spam in the picture.

The last post? - Brit_in_Germany

And posting the same content half a dozen times is not spam?

The last post? - misar

The "spam" thread I started had two more posts at the end before it was locked, the last one being from me. If you were quick enough to read this post before avant deletes it (and probably bans me) you can see them xxxx

The rest of us are not able to delete posts we don't like, avant can. He claims to be against censorship. Apparently not if comments come too close to home.

(Link deleted - almost unbelievably, the posts linked to include the spam post.)

No idea why but the site kept accepting a post before I wrote anything. Did the same a few days ago.

Edited by misar on 29/11/2020 at 09:51

The last post? - misar

No idea why but the site kept accepting a post before I wrote anything. Did the same a few days ago.

Edited by misar on 29/11/2020 at 09:52

The last post? - misar

An utterly ludicrous pretext to delete first my post then a link within another post.

How on earth could those links to the IMGBB website have been harmful? They simply opened PICTURES in which the spam appeared as nothing but gibberish and a website name (NOT its URL). The spammer included a URL to improve their website's Google search engine rating, not to get HJ users to visit it.

Anyway, FWIW here is the picture of my original post WITHOUT the spam post - and obviously no clickable link in the picture.

The real folly is allowing spam in at all. These days stopping spam on websites is mostly a simple, automated task. That is why you rarely see ANY on popular forums, even those with thousands of posts per day where eliminating spam solely by moderation would be a nightmare.

The last post? - Brit_in_Germany

Just a question for misar - from the number of such posts which appear, it looks more like sad low lifes registering and posting in the hope of a financial reward, rather than bots as you appear to believe. Having a manual gateway to block posters called lovepotion32 or whatever would require resources which do not seem to be available. For the site owners, I doubt that the backroom is of great significance, more a hang over from the HJ days.

The last post? - concrete

misar, my dear fellow. May I refer you to an apposite quote;

It is the reply from Pressdram in the case

Arkle v Pressdram

I think that says it all really.

Cheers Concrete