What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - madf

What Car carried out a survey of used car reliability..

The Joint Winner was the Honda Jazz. 2008-15 (my car)

www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-most-reliable-used-c...9

You can guess the nationality of the makers of the other two joint winners..

Hint: not German.

Edited by madf on 29/10/2020 at 06:40

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - nellyjak

No surprise there then...and I see the Yaris (Toyota) is up there as usual too.

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - Engineer Andy

I wonder what the figures would be if diesel/DPF related issues were removed from the data set.

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - focussed

The big surprise flicking through those results is the Dacia Duster at 99%.

www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-most-reliable-used-c...6

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - Steveieb

To me the most significant result is in cars over 20 yes 20 years old and that’s where the Japanese built Yaris wins supreme,

What an accolade for a car now worth around £500

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - Steveieb

And the most unreliable car according to the recent Which survey is surprisingly the Volvo XC 90;with 74% of cars reporting faults !

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - John F

An example of an entertaining but not very informative article written, like so many such articles, to fill a space between the adverts.

'They told us that not one of their cars had suffered a fault in the previous 12 months.'

If that was the only criterion for this survey then it is hardly surprising that the sort of car chosen by careful elderly owners for a tiny annual mileage would feature in the top places.

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - madf

The only fault my Jazz has had in 8 years of Careful? ownership was a squeaky offside folding wing mirror.

WD40 solved that at no cost

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - Falkirk Bairn

My CRV was coming up to 8 yrs old & it failed it's MoT. Nearside front spring was cracked - about £100+vat to fix. Then the exhaust went within 2 weeks £300 to fix.

That said maintenance costs over 8 years = £60 per year (excludes servicing, brake pads, tyres etc)

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - John F

Exhaust repair after only 8 years? That's terrible. Our 20yr old Focus still has its original exhaust, although it did need a new support bracket this year. Its only repairs apart from brakes and tyres have been a coil pack, a fuel pump and a bit of welding at the back. All suspension bits and CVJ boots are original. It's done nearly 150,000 miles.

If What Car really want to assess reliability, they should examine the repair history of a random selection of cars with, say, 60 to 80,000 miles on the clock. That's half the mileage I expect a modern car to achieve (our family workhorse estates certainly did - all German built, even the Focus) without significant bills or time off road.

Edited by John F on 31/10/2020 at 09:06

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - RT

If What Car really want to assess reliability, they should examine the repair history of a random selection of cars with, say, 60 to 80,000 miles on the clock. That's half the mileage I expect a modern car to achieve (our family workhorse estates certainly did - all German built, even the Focus) without significant bills or time off road.

Problem is that few cars of that age/mileage have full history - they may have a full set of stamps in a book but rarely full details of all work carried out.

Honda Jazz - Most Reliable Used Cars - What Car - Engineer Andy

The big surprise flicking through those results is the Dacia Duster at 99%.

www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-most-reliable-used-c...6

Not really - if manufacturers use the KISS principle, especially using tried and tested tech rather than the very latest (which nowadays is rushed to market to be 'the first' or to keep up with the first, rather than going through a proper R&D cycle), it works well and reliably. Less to go wrong, too.