What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Decent small / medium auto options - Kingpin

Hi

Just considering next car, looking for a Fiesta / Clio sized auto. I realise the proper auto box are more desirable - Kia Rio for example for reliability or the Mazda 2, has anyone any experience? Considered the Honda Jazz but only the previous model just replaced with the brand new hybrid. Some mixed reports of the CVT in that though on how it revs and drives different to normal automatics. I think Ford now fit decent automatics to the Fiesta which might be a safe option.

Decent small / medium auto options - SLO76
Depends very much on your budget. Is it £200 or £20,000?
Decent small / medium auto options - badbusdriver

We have just spent slightly more than 3 years with a 2017 Jazz CVT. First thing I will say is that in the case of the’stepped’ CVT, such as the Jazz and Yaris has, they don’t actually drive different from a normal (t/c) auto. I am well aware that the motoring press in general, along with many folk who have never actually driven one, rubbish CVT’s. But they are absolutely fine!. The supposed issue with revs is another source of irritation to me, not that it doesn’t exist, but because it has nothing to do with it being a CVT. Simply that as a high revving (peak torque arrives at 5000rpm) n/a petrol, the Jazz has to be singing to access what performance it has. The Yaris has slightly more torque at lower revs so shouldn’t be as revvy as the Jazz. Both however are exceptional choices for an auto of that size, spacious and reliable.

Just to clarify though, Kia Rio (and its Hyundai i20 cousin) both use a dual clutch automated manual (DCT). Not sure exactly when they started using the DCT, but I do know the n/a 1.4 continued using a t/c auto for a while longer alongside the 1.0 and 1.4 turbo’s with the DCT.

As for the Fiesta, yes on the current model, they are using a t/c auto instead of the Powershift DCT. But that means you will have the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, which may or may not be reliable.

I’d suggest having a look at the Suzuki Swift 1.0 turbo (Boosterjet) auto. More spacious than a Fiesta, punchy performance (helped by a low kerbweight), well equipped and reliable.