What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car auction buying service - mfz

Previously there use to be a couple of traders around the forum that use to buy cars from auction for private individuals, cutting down on private fees.

Does anyome have a comprehensive list of individuals or companies that offer this service

Car auction buying service - daveyK_UK
Are you buying a classic or modem car?
Car auction buying service - SLO76
Used to fairly popular this but everyone I know who used to do it has left the trade. People all too often think they know what they’re doing at auction and unlike you they figure they can bag a bargain among the wolves without having to pay someone to check it and bid. I’ve stood at many a cold auction watching Joe Public throw money away on junk. With skyrocketing fees this is really the only realistic way for the public to buy at most auctions these days but even at that it’s easy to be caught out and often the savings just aren’t that great over a good private sale.

The only cars I’d buy at auction are ex fleet or ex manufacturer finance straight from the company. Beyond this there’s usually something wrong. Why would a dealer offload a perfectly good looking, retailable car at auction? If it’s ok he’ll flog it himself rather than pay an auction to do so. Do your homework on who has put the car in and forget the idea if you’re talking about anything other than direct from fleet company stock. It’s the only decent stuff there.
Car auction buying service - RT
Used to fairly popular this but everyone I know who used to do it has left the trade. People all too often think they know what they’re doing at auction and unlike you they figure they can bag a bargain among the wolves without having to pay someone to check it and bid. I’ve stood at many a cold auction watching Joe Public throw money away on junk. With skyrocketing fees this is really the only realistic way for the public to buy at most auctions these days but even at that it’s easy to be caught out and often the savings just aren’t that great over a good private sale. The only cars I’d buy at auction are ex fleet or ex manufacturer finance straight from the company. Beyond this there’s usually something wrong. Why would a dealer offload a perfectly good looking, retailable car at auction? If it’s ok he’ll flog it himself rather than pay an auction to do so. Do your homework on who has put the car in and forget the idea if you’re talking about anything other than direct from fleet company stock. It’s the only decent stuff there.

All my cars are in decent condition when I change them - in a couple of cases I've had dealers give me a good price as p/x but sell on cars which don't fit their profile to "mates" in the trade who sell a different mix of used cars - in one case the salesman negotiated with his mate while I was sat there.

My last car went to WBAC who classed it as grade 2 putting it straight into the next BCA auction where it was bought by a dealer, franchised in the same make, who sold it within days - doing the arithmetic, the WBAC price I got for it, plus the BCA auction fee, plus some margin for the dealer then the new owner must have paid top price.

Car auction buying service - SLO76
Most dealers these days will retain anything retailable rather than pay an auction to transport and flog it. Occasionally if they lack the space they may well offload unsuitable but perfectly sound cars to the ring but many have smaller local dealers they sell direct to or as is the case locally to me they own a smaller site selling their part exchanges. These can be a great source for good cars with our local VW/Skoda/Seat Dealer one such example, they have a site dedicated to selling their part exchanges which don’t meet approved used status and they get some genuinely good cars in. They never buy stock in, it’s all part exchanges from their main dealer sites. I’ve sourced numerous good cars for people here but they’re not overly cheap though you couldn’t say they were overpriced either.

I regularly see large dealers sitting with sub £3k stock that possibly in the past they wouldn’t hold. The dealer I worked for would only send cars to auction if there was something serious and costly wrong. We’d retail anything from £200 to £50,000 but anything that was likely to give too much grief or cost too much to fix was offloaded and all too often cars I assessed that came from auction had serious faults and were returned to the ring. It’s just not a place I’d recommend to the public.
Car auction buying service - mfz

It's almost silly to buy private at auction. Find a motor trade friend or use a service. I have been doing a bit of research into the specific car I want, and have been monitoring them going through auction and then turning up a few days later on auto trader. Based on the prices, even if the auction sold for~1000 less than what the dealer is now seeking for, I'll be happy

You're right I wouldn't consider non ex lease or fleet and I'd be looking at some sort of assured report as well. Because it is for me the grade doesn't matter as much as the mechanical side being sound.

Okay so failing that, are there any reputable companies? I have seen flipping cars, but their prices plus the auction house fees you're sitting at the private fees anyway. I have heard nothing but good stuff about those guys but exploring my options.

Car auction buying service - pd

Do not assume a clear mechanical report means a sound car.

For example, on a gearbox it may tell you it goes into first and reverse....it doesn't tell you it goes into 2nd! The reports are specifically designed not to pick up many common issues.

What happens with these buying agents if the car turns out to be a complete duffer? I assume the purchaser is still stuck with it?

Car auction buying service - Gibbo_Wirral

Private buying at auction is a long dated concept now that there are so many more outlets to buy cheap cars.

Car auction buying service - Terry W

In years gone by I frequently bought cars at auction - mainly cheap end of the market - made a few mistakes and got a few good buys.

Back then, 1980-2000, the cost savings over a dealer were significant. I was capable of fixing minor faults myself.

But the market has changed radically - there are now significant buyers premiums which dilute any savings, online (Ebay, Autotrader etc) sources of vehicles easily searched, and for newer vehicles car supermarkets.

The risks of buying a lemon at auction haven't changed much, but the savings have.

Car auction buying service - mcb100

Bear in mind that auctions are still virtual only, and will be for the foreseeable future, so traders are buying solely on description and photos. Lots of cars apparently being collected and delivered that are not as per the description.

Edited by mcb100 on 03/09/2020 at 16:35

Not sure if the situation has changed, but a certain BCA site was having cars returned from dealers purchased via the virtual auction as they simply where not as described.

I would only buy from auction as a private buyer if I was buying 2 years old or younger, and it had warranty left that could still be utilised (eg, 1st service carried out with evidence, mileage was within limit).
Even then the savings after the ridiculously expensive private buyers fees would make any saving minimal.

I know of decent size independent dealers who despise that face that bca and or Manheim are the only large volume auction sales In the area; travelling across to an Aston Barclay or other auction house is not worth it unless they are planning on filling a transporter up.

Out of interest, are the Aston Barclay private fees as high as BCA and Manheim?

Edited by daveyK_UK on 03/09/2020 at 18:12

Been told Manheim are not expecting physical auctions until next year.

Online dealer only auctions fine for fleet sales, but more problematic for 10 year plus part ex’s due to issues with description and condition reports.