What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Points on license - Davepos85
Can anyone help. I got caught speeding on the 6th of March. I had 9 points. So this will take me to 12 points. I’m still awaiting a decision on my license whether I keep it or lose it. Been 4 month so been driving in the mean time. Today I discovered that I’ve been caught going through a red light. So another 3 points. What is likely to happen?
Ford Focus - Points on license - daveyjp

12 is an auto ban, but there are plenty of drivers still on the roads with far more than 12 points. Find out which lawyer they use as you need to plead your case.

It may also help your case if you start some self help now by accepting you have a problem driving within the laws and get some extra training which will identify your shortcomings.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/

https://www.rospa.com/safety-training/on-road/Driver-Training

Edited by daveyjp on 16/07/2020 at 18:50

Thank you for that. Appreciate it
Ford Focus - Points on license - Penumbra

Ha - that must be the politest criticism I've ever seen daveyip.

Ford Focus - Points on license - thunderbird

What is likely to happen?

If you continue to drive in this manner you will eventually have a serious accident and possibly kill someone.

Then you will probably go to jail.

So slow down and obey traffic signals. its not that difficult.

I’m fully aware I’m in the wrong, and ashamed of the position I’m in and take 100% responsibility for it. was just asking the question about what I need to do with a court date and another offence how it will work. But been answered for me further down, thank you for your reply
Ford Focus - Points on license - Middleman

You will probably (if you have not already done so) receive a “Single Justice Procedure notice” for the latest speeding offence. When you respond to that (presumably by pleading guilty) the Single Justice will not deal with your matter (as you will reach 12 points) and instead put the matter off for a hearing in the normal Magistrates’ Court. You will be invited to attend that hearing where you can put forward an “Exceptional Hardship” (EH) argument to persuade the court not to ban you. If you are successful you will leave the court with your licence but with twelve penalty points. When the red light offence is dealt with the same procedure will apply but this time you will not be able to use the same argument to avoid a ban (you can only use the same argument once in three years). If you do not attend you will be disqualified in your absence for six months.

So what’s to do? First of all, have you done any courses for offences that occurred in the last three years? Tell us that and also tell us what the speed and limit was for the latest offence.

What you need to do other than that is to try to get both matters heard in court at the same time. If not you face the problem I outlined above. When you do that you will have to put forward your EH argument. What hardship will you face if you are banned?

Edited by Middleman on 17/07/2020 at 10:37

Thank you for your help you have answered the questions I was asking, I wondered if I would be in court twice. Thank you for your reply.