What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - nick62

Work suspended at the Bridgend factory as they look to switch to a site in France:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53317740

So much for Mr Moneybags being committed to Britain!

Is this another "Brexit Bonus"?

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - thunderbird

Is this another "Brexit Bonus"?

If being outside of the EU means duty on exported/ imported products and the sales in the rest of the EU will exceed those of the UK its simple economics to locate the factory within the EU.

People will soon realise that it was a really really great decision to leave and that was before the economic effects of Covid.

Lets hope the UK population give Boris what he deserves when they next get the opportunity.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - groaver

Indeed:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/135804/spiritual-successor

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - _

Two points.

The mercedes facory is there and has a trained workforce. Undoubtedly Mercedes will be pleased to get it off their hands saving the costs of redundancy.

Another point is that "Mr Moneybags" is just the latest and will not be the last of those who have made a fortune in the uk and decamped to tax friendlier climes.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - concrete

Disappointing news for South Wales. I have friends who run businesses in France. They do not and will not officially employ anyone on a permanent basis. The businesses have remained small and can be operated by friends and family. The rules make it impossible to lay off or sack people so control of your business is limited. This chap may find that out to his cost in future. The only reason can be financial so there must be something on offer to sweeten the deal.

Cheers Concrete

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - Zippy123

Disappointing news for South Wales. I have friends who run businesses in France. They do not and will not officially employ anyone on a permanent basis. The businesses have remained small and can be operated by friends and family. The rules make it impossible to lay off or sack people so control of your business is limited. This chap may find that out to his cost in future. The only reason can be financial so there must be something on offer to sweeten the deal.

Cheers Concrete

Having worked there and in Germany, I can confirm that it is more difficult to make staff redundant but it's not impossible.

The French are more willing to strike though, especially if you are a large employer.

It can't be too bad though as companies wouldn't exist there otherwise or relocate there. Just based on GDP per hour worked, based in USD, France is $103.4, Germany is $103.1, UK is $100.5, USA is $103.5. Romania is way ahead at $120.4, followed by Poland at $117.7 as is Ireland at $112.4. This data is from the OECD.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - JonestHon

He already own biz in the EU, I think he know the lay of the land. Still promising is easy, supporting a failed ideology is easy. Making biz decisions is the hard part where one need to forget all the easy promises, smoke and mirrors of the B word.

INEOS O&P Europe owns 1 million tons of manufacturing capacity in Europe for polypropylene

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - alan1302

He already own biz in the EU, I think he know the lay of the land. Still promising is easy, supporting a failed ideology is easy. Making biz decisions is the hard part where one need to forget all the easy promises, smoke and mirrors of the B word.

INEOS O&P Europe owns 1 million tons of manufacturing capacity in Europe for polypropylene

Think he would have been daft not to have taken up the offer - building a car factory from scratch is expensive and time consuming - getting an existing factory on the cheap with people that know how to build cars is a very good way to go about it.

Think he would have been daft not to have taken up the offer - building a car factory from scratch is expensive and time consuming - getting an existing factory on the cheap with people that know how to build cars is a very good way to go about it.

I hope there aren't a few existing ones up for grabs over here in 12 months time?

I hope there aren't a few existing ones up for grabs over here in 12 months time?

Hopefully not - will depend on what the PM can sort out by Sunday

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - Terry W

Seems like bad news but the reasons are less clear:

• the lack of a Brexit deal and the customs/import duty risk is not new news - they knew this was likely to be the case 9 months ago so no change there
  • CV-19 has almost certainly made many companies look very hard at future vehicle demand and their manufacturing network. They are also transitioning to hybrd and pure EV. Mercedes may simply have made Ineos a good offer to take over the plant - this may, for them, have been cheaper than complying with French rules on employment and redundancy.
  • it may even be the French governement offering incentives - whether this goes against EU state aid rules could be questioned
  • Mercedes may simply have made Ineos a good offer to take over the plant - this may, for them, have been cheaper than complying with French rules on employment and redundancy.

Think it is this - they have a purpose built factory with trained staff - would be daft to not at least look into it.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - concrete

it may even be the French governement offering incentives - whether this goes against EU state aid rules could be questioned

Surely our French cousins would not do anything so devious as transgress the rules on unfair subsidies and incentives. Merde alors!!!!!

Cheers Concrete

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - daveyjp

Ineos chose Wales due to the funding they were set to receive from Welsh and UK Governments!

There is now no need for them to build new.

Many years ago I was involved in a project for a local company to build a very high tech electronic components manufacturing facility costing millions. Just as they finished the first stage of preparing the land a major Japanese manufacturer moved put of a similar factory in the north east. Within weeks they had done the deal to buy the factory and the local site was never developed.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - daveyK_UK
This is not an EU in or out factor, some forum contributors are obsessed with blaming all their life ills on Brexit/EU.

This developing story is about a company able to pick up a Mercedes factory and workforce with incentives on the cheap; but will have hell to pay when they ever stop production and close the factory down.

As most businesses don’t consider failure in the business plans; the close down costs are not a factor nor is the likelihood of union interference

The Ineos model should be judged when a production model is available to test drive, not by where it is (or isn’t) manufactured.

Likewise, Dyson hoovers should not be judged because they are built in China, but because they are fragile and unreliable!
(Ex Dyson fan)

Edited by daveyK_UK on 19/07/2020 at 06:32

The new factory will be in France it has been confirmed today.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos/grenadier/352683/ineos...e

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - Zippy123
. Likewise, Dyson hoovers should not be judged because they are built in China, but because they are fragile and unreliable! (Ex Dyson fan)

I think the buyer should be aware of where products are made, especially when the owner of the firm passes political comment then relocates his entire business to a country that has an effective free trade agreement with the EU.

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - madf
. Likewise, Dyson hoovers should not be judged because they are built in China, but because they are fragile and unreliable! (Ex Dyson fan)

I think the buyer should be aware of where products are made, especially when the owner of the firm passes political comment then relocates his entire business to a country that has an effective free trade agreement with the EU.

Anyone - BUT ANYONE - who believes anything anyone says in public - and bases their future on it and does no research - is at best naive and at worst a credulous fool.

Edited by madf on 09/12/2020 at 07:25

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - focussed

The French government do it all the time, usually they buy in as a shareholder or nationalise it as in a big company such as this shipyard on the Loire.

www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/chantiers-...2

I worked on a project that was for a French concern back in the mid- 1980's.

We built the control system, but the specification meant we had to use all French manufactured components, the only British part was the labour.

Even tiny parts like the wire numbers and furrules were French. I'm surprised it didn't insist on French Argon for any welding TBH!

Edited by nick62 on 09/12/2020 at 14:53

Ineos Grenadier - Ineos 4x4 - Bridgend factory project suspended - focussed

The French government do it all the time, usually they buy in as a shareholder or nationalise it as in a big company such as this shipyard on the Loire.

www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/chantiers-...2