What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - gilly99

Hello, the 6 month MoT extension is really useful for me, but does anybody know that when I eventually get a new test (1) the expiry is 12 months from the new test pass date or (2) if its 12 months from the original expiry date?

The gov.uk website is not clear on this point.

Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - elekie&a/c doctor
The way I see it , is if your mot expires between March and the end of July , you get an automatic 6 month extension . After August 1st , the system returns to normal regulations .
Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - sammy1

The answer is no 1 12 months from the new MOT

Thanks. Yes, thats clear. But maybe I could ask this another way....for example a vehicle is SORN'd for a few months, then presented for test, and passed MoT. The new expiry would be 12 months from date of test. So is the Covid 6 month extension real or just a grace period to make life easier and smooth out testing demand?

Any body had a test done post extension and noted the new expiry date?

Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - mcb100
The first ones to be done ‘post extension’ won’t happen until September.
Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - thunderbird

Thanks. Yes, thats clear. But maybe I could ask this another way....for example a vehicle is SORN'd for a few months, then presented for test, and passed MoT. The new expiry would be 12 months from date of test. So is the Covid 6 month extension real or just a grace period to make life easier and smooth out testing demand?

Any body had a test done post extension and noted the new expiry date?

If you take full advantage of the 6 month extension the expiry date is 12 months from the date you actually have the car tested.

If you don't take full advantage of the 6 month extension the expiry date is 12 months from the date you actually have the car tested.

Example.

One of our cars was due on 16 June and was automatically extended to 16 December. I broke my Fibula mid May so SORN'D the car at the end of May since I could not drive for 5 or 6 weeks, can now drive OK. Once the weather dries up and I can give the car a full check I will re tax it and take it for an MOT. The expiry date will be 12 months from the date it passes the new test and not the 16 December extension date.

Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - Bromptonaut

If MoT expired on 30 May then 6 months applies; new expiry date is 30 November.

If you submit it for a test now then expiry date will be 08-July-2021.

I assume that if you submit it on 15 November than usual concession applies and expiry date will be 30-November-2021.

Anything wrong in that?

Thank guys. The reason for asking is I work away alot and next chance for me to easily get a test is November. My current expiry was July, but extended to January next year due covid. For summer, I usually go abroad in the car for extended holiday and it would be really awkward if the expiry date were to be backdated in order to claw back money and business for MoT garages.

Guess am just paranoid as doubted the DfT would actually give any real help, especially as the most garages were open during the lockdown, so actually not sure why they bothered?. Suppose the extension did cut down non-essential road journeys. I was envisaging a test in November, computer automatically backdates it and then having to book another test immediately!! The consensus seems to be that they have in fact been helpful and its a true 6 month extension.

Hyundai i30 - MoT expiry date, post covid extension - Andrew-T

The 6-month extension was to allow people to keep driving if their MoT expired while test stations were closed. The assumption (as I see it) was that when normality returned, those cars would be tested as and when convenient, but no later than 6 months overdue. Any new certificate would clearly run for another 12 months. Not surprisingly, some owners will probably have waited for as long as they are allowed to.

My car was booked for a test on April 1st, but the test station chose to shut down a few days before. In the end I had it tested (at very short notice) on the same day, at another place which chose to stay open.