What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - chssvl
As I suspect is the case for lots of people, I hadn't used my 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol much for quite a while - maybe three very short trips to the supermarket totalling at most 10 miles since early March. Not that the car gets a lot of use (2500 miles a year more or less)

A couple of days I took it out and found that the A/C has stopped working - just getting normal air, not even cold-ish. I checked and the compressor's clutch is engaging, the compressor is spinning and the system seems to be running but no cool air.

I had re-gassed the system a couple of years ago, not because of any fault but because I was told it was probably best.

Is it that the lack of use of the A/C over winter plus the lockdown led to the refrigerant leaking out? If so, does that mean there is a leak that needs to be repaired or will re-gassing the system be sufficient? Or am I looking at a more complicated problem?
Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - elekie&a/c doctor
In common with many cars I have experienced over the last few weeks, it’s very likely to be low on gas . The system will not operate unless there is sufficient charge in the system . All cars leak ac gas over a period of time ,some worse than others .
Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - chssvl
Thanks. Is there a reason why they leak when not in use? I'm just wondering if seals perish or something like that and, if so, does anything else need fixing before recharging the system?
Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - elekie&a/c doctor
Unlikely to be a seal leaking . Very likely to be a component failure . On a Focus , it’s probably the ac condenser that has perished. It sits right at the front of the car , and is subject to everything thrown at it .
Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - Andrew-T

An air-con is a tiny fridge system which has a compressor. In use it gets cooled down, but while lying idle everything will get to ambient temp, which has been quite warm recently, especially if your car has been parked in a hot spot. The system has seals and charging points which may very slowly release gas. Get it seen to, probably £40-50 for a regas.

Ford Focus - A/C not working after lockdown - Peter.N.

The compressor bearing seals used to leak especially if the aircon wasn't used in the winter, don't know if that still happens but you are usually advised to run it occasionally in the winter.

Strangely enough my C5 had non working aircon when I bought it last year, went out in it few days ago and it worked a treat - never had that happen before!