What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
airbag worry - mike hannon
Hi - As my latest adventure in bangernomics I've bought a very tidy Honda Accord Coupe and I want to put my CD player in it instead of the existing Bluespot stereo that has a code I don't know. Thing is, I've never had an airbag car before and the (American) Haynes manual says the airbag must be disabled before doing anything to the radio. 1 - is that right? 2 - Is there any way of getting round the code problem for the Bluespot, just in case I panic and decide to put it back together as it is?
airbag worry - daveyjp
As you mentioned bangernomics how old is the car? Some manufacturers require airbags to be replaced after 10 years.
airbag worry - leatherpatches
Firstly, I have fitted countless car stereos and none have needed me to disable the airbag. No doubt one will go off on my face one day or stop working, but personally I'd chance it.

Secondly, you can retrieve the code for your stereo by trying one of several things:

1) Ring the previous owner (see registration document);
2) Look on the manual, assuming you have it. Often the code is scribbled on the front;
3) Look on the keyfob that originally came with the car - it is sometimes scribbled on this;
4) Try 1111;
5) I'm not sure if Bluespot is the original stereo? My Honda has a (crap) Honda stereo in it. If it is, Honda will have the code on a database. A call to your local dealer ought to suffice. If it is not the original, then call the company direct, who will have a set procedure for lost codes.

Good luck and let us know.
airbag worry - Aprilia
Disconnect battery and leave it 20 minutes before starting work. You'll be OK then.
airbag worry - Cyd
For some earlier discussion on replacing airbags at 10yrs see:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=70...4

The long & the short of it is: not necessary - 15 yr old bags have been tested and found to deploy like new.
airbag worry - king arthur
Go to just about any car audio shop and they will be able to obtain the code for your stereo - sometimes even from just the serial number.
thanks all - much obliged for the advice.
here goes with the screwdriver...
airbag worry - David Lacey
Mike

Manufacturers seem to err (quite rightly) on the side of caution when it comes to airbags - battery disconnection etc etc is the norm.

I have fitted radios, removed seats, steering wheels, rotary couplers etc etc without ever isolating the battery in over 10 years, with no ill-effects, so don't worry.

Don't for god's sake mutilate the wiring loom, invest in some ISO plugs if the head unit doesn't have them....it makes it much easier!
hi david - nice to hear from you again!
see i'm still driving other people's cast-off hondas...
got the job done now, thanks to an iso converter etc without the airbag blowing up in my face
i hear you're available these days - wouldn't like to recommission my old 16/60 i suppose? the money would be good...
take good care
airbag worry - David Lacey
Mike! Long time no see! I saw the name here and pondered....it must be you....

Cast-off Hondas? There's nothing wrong with that at all. Just a shame the spare parts are so bl00dy expensive!

The lasting memory of one of your Hondas was following it into Oake and coming round the corner to see it on its side, with Nigel Stanworth wriggling out of the rear window, now pointing towards the sky! Memories eh?

I see son#1 is now a Volvo Estate driver? Suits him more than that old 205!

16/60 project? Sounds fun.........take care of yourself..

PS. Remember that AR1000? It died the other day; the keypad stopped working - the membrane type keypad contacts gave up. Shame.