What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Steveieb
So this is progress !
DAB car radios , I have found have inferior sound to FM and most importantly constantly lose signal.
The loss of a multi change CD player is also sadly missed.
Electric handbrakes come next on my list of pet hates along with DPF shananagin s now on petrol as well as diesel cars.
Finally can we go back to dipswitches on the floor and indicator arms on the right hand side of the steering wheel !
PS I am sadly missing my Sony Trinitron TV with a square scree that I have recently updated
All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Brit_in_Germany

Enjoy your cave!

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - gordonbennet

DAB has made my radio listening at work much more pleasurable, the roof aerial keeps the signal going in all but the most rural of locations.

I have 4 indy stations programmed in and swap between the 4 as and when propagands broadcasts and adverts are aired because at least 1 will still be playing music apart from probably the 8am news, and i'm usually otherwise engaged at that time, win win

Avoid the state broadcaster completely, my two traffic warning systems mean i don't need 'traffic' on the radio so the SB doesn't even raise its horned head there, bliss.

EPB won't ever be fitted to a car i own, and unless someone (hopefully not me) writes my present lorry off by the time it comes up for replacement i'll be retired.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - veloceman
Really Stevie B?
DAB is far superior. I can listen to far more stations including Radio 5 live and not in FM.
Far more choice including Radio X.
I do miss a CD player tho.
Maybe you prefer a manual choke and those push to squirt windscreen washers.
Oh and while we at it, no dip rear view mirror, no head restraints, no passenger mirror, no abs etc.
The good ole days are week and truly gone - thank goodness.
All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Dag Hammar

My current car which I have had for six months has electric or electronic parking brake.

I get on O.K.with it, just about, but the problem I find is that it’s either off or fully and firmly on with nothing inbetween. Pulling the lever switch to the on position brings the car to a jerking sudden full stop if the car is gently still moving forwards. I view the electric park brake as a solution to a problem that did not exist. It may be beneficial to drivers who cannot master a hill start using a traditional handbrake.

Now a question for the forumites that may know the answer. Car with electric park brake is left standing / parked up for a few weeks and the battery goes completely flat. Does the park brake then release itself without any power to keep it on or does it default to being ‘locked’ on ? I have not suffered a flat battery ( yet ) but I’d be interested to know what might be the outcome in such circumstances.

BTW I also miss not having a CD player.

r

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Heidfirst

Now a question for the forumites that may know the answer. Car with electric park brake is left standing / parked up for a few weeks and the battery goes completely flat. Does the park brake then release itself without any power to keep it on or does it default to being ‘locked’ on ? I have not suffered a flat battery ( yet ) but I’d be interested to know what might be the outcome in such circumstances.

Afaik it should be locked on (at least until you have power to the system again when you should be able to release it).

As for DAB, it's well known that at least in the UK the sound quality is often inferior to FM as stations often run at low bit-rates (& some even broadcast in mono in this day & age!) but it has greatly expanded the wider availability of minority stations.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - alan1302

Avoid the state broadcaster completely, my two traffic warning systems mean i don't need 'traffic' on the radio so the SB doesn't even raise its horned head there, bliss.

I've told you before and I will tell you again the UK does not have a state broadcaster - stop putting out these lies.

You claim to hate the lies the media give but more than happy to put out your own.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Engineer Andy

I've told you before and I will tell you again the UK does not have a state broadcaster - stop putting out these lies.

You claim to hate the lies the media give but more than happy to put out your own.

I think you're taking GB's comments too far - they just mean 'the BBC', not implying some Soviet-style mouthpeice organisation.

I think you're taking GB's comments too far - they just mean 'the BBC', not implying some Soviet-style mouthpeice organisation.

It's an amusing past-time upsetting lefties Andy, mainly because they take themselves so seriously, its like having ones very own pet stalker.

Yes it is the state broadcaster no matter how many times Alan tells me i am wrong because despite the fact i'd rather eat glass than have to listen watch or read a single item from that organisation, i have to pay the stand and deliver demands or get visited by its goons and possibly go to prison, as i am compelled with no choice to pay this tax it is therefore part of the state machine, as such it is the state broadcaster.

This state (hoho) of affairs won't change of course despite what PM Johnson might waffle about, possibly changing the offence of not paying from criminal to civil will make it easier for the state to get judgement in its favour as proof requirements change drastically, lawyers win again, financing the broadcaster in this day and age should be via subscription or by advertising revenue or a combination, let them earn their place and pay realistic salaries to those who deserve them, rather than the obsecne amounts the right luvvies pocket.

It might help save some money if they didn't need to send oddjob and a crew out to stand in the street outside number 10's closed door, complete with yet another copper on guard, or wherever in the country the story applies, do they think the viewers are so thick that a story about number 10 would pass them by unless a crew was there for 2 minutes of waffle (thankyou Ben and back to the studio where we'll repeat what was just said for the thickies at the back) the studio hosts could have said as effectively without any of that expensive pointless t***, similarly do they really need some outside broadcast jockey and crew to titillate viewers with Philipa's hair and coat tails flapping in the wind, talk about throwing money about like confetti but then its always been easy spending other peoples money.

They could start being commercial by paying rent to the country for the premises they enjoy which the country owns as far as i can see, become a viable business in their own right as it were and do or die like any other business, the country sold the rest of its national silver to private profiteers how come the BBC escaped, one can surmise the reasons for oneself.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/02/2020 at 13:17

Epic rant! :-)

Epic rant! :-)

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Bromptonaut

It's an amusing past-time upsetting lefties Andy, mainly because they take themselves so seriously, its like having ones very own pet stalker.

As one of the lefties here let me disabuse you of idea that I'm upset. I'm disturbed by racism or sexism and comments like yours about pencil necked bicycle riders rile me a bit.

Sometimes, as on that one I cannot be assed to respond.

However there are other occasions where I just want to put the contrary argument or deal with stuff that is, frankly, unsubstantiated assertion.

Also, I enjoy debate.

As one of the lefties here let me disabuse you of idea that I'm upset. I'm disturbed by racism or sexism and comments like yours about pencil necked bicycle riders rile me a bit.

However there are other occasions where I just want to put the contrary argument or deal with stuff that is, frankly, unsubstantiated assertion.

Also, I enjoy debate.

The question is though, what are the motives for putting forward a 'contrary argument'? I suspect some might argue that from time to time 'enjoying debate' can very closely resemble 'deliberate trolling' of people who come from the other end of the political spectrum, especially when they know they've lost that debate.

We all do need to be careful (myself included) - like the best of us, we can get swept up in the heat of the moment or make debates more of an 'argument' or 'battle', more like those on newspaper websites.

Also, I enjoy debate.

The question is though, what are the motives for putting forward a 'contrary argument'? I suspect some might argue that from time to time 'enjoying debate' can very closely resemble 'deliberate trolling' of people who come from the other end of the political spectrum, especially when they know they've lost that debate.

Is that what you do?

Not upset Gordon -I expect nothing more else from you - you spout lies as fact quite often. Just sad that others believe what you say. The BBC is not the state broadcaster and never has been.

Not according to his 'epic rant' that you enjoyed so much! LOL

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - eddie nichols

Some 13 years ago i bought a used VW Polo with the bog standard fitted FM/CD arrangement. As i had spent much less of my budget on the car, i decided to have a Pioneer head unit fitted with a breakout DAB receiver. I already owned a Pure DAB personal radio and although back then the signal was patchy i took the risk for the car.

After about 4 years, the old Pioneer with external DAB receiver wasn't performing well and i kept losing signal. I upgraded to another Pioneer single DIN head unit with built in DAB. The reception was so good i wasn't even losing signal in tunnels and could stay tuned to radio stations way out of London.

Sometime later, i bought a used MK 5 Golf, again with the standard radio equipment. I swapped this out for another Pioneer, this time a 7" touch screen with built in DVD player and lots of other features including Spotify capability. This was the best head unit i've ever had and DAB signal was flawless.

Last year, i bought a MK 7 Golf with it's own DAB unit built in. DAB reception is awful and the car has a recall to rectify this known issue. Sadly, the only aftermarket unit that is compatible with this car and all it's built in features is an Alpine unit that costs an eye watering £1800 to buy...plus fitting costs! But if money was no object, i'd have already had it fitted.

I'm not an audiophile but i love playing music in the car and as an early adopter i have to say, DAB is definitely a positive for me.

My MK 7 also comes with a CD player in the glove box....i can honestly say it will never get used. I have a USB stick permanently connected for my own music.

The car also comes with an EPB with hill hold assist. I was a little sceptical at first but decided to make full use of them and have grown to love its convenience. I'm not as sold on the ACC which i've tried a few times and it works well but i can't bring myself to let the cars' tech to have that much control.

So this is progress ! DAB car radios , I have found have inferior sound to FM and most importantly constantly lose signal.

Current Fabia is first car I've owned with DAB. I'll freely admit that based on performance of DAB radios at home I was very sceptical of the technology's ability to perform in a car. It has however been excellent. My main listen is Radio 4 and reception around home or on trips up M1/M6 to Liverpool and NE Wales it's been better than VHF/RDS. Possibly odd occasion in Central Liverpool where being in a canyon between buildings led to some spottiness. OTOH I think it fills in from VHF if DAB drops out. R5L is far better than on AM/MW where we are in an area where 693 and 909 overlap.

No LW at all though.

Never been a great user of CD in car. Seems easier to either plug in an MP3 player or stream to phone using either Bluetooth or AUX to connect to car's audio.

Or I can 'rip' CDs to a USB device and plug that in.

Both cars in current fleet have 'proper' handbrakes and when I've had electric handbrakes on courtesy cars I regard them as work of the devil.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/02/2020 at 23:28

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - misar

Towards the end of last year I went from FM and multi change CD player to DAB and single CD player. DAB is fine with a much larger choice of stations. I ripped my records and CDs to disk years ago and now have the entire collection on a USB stick left permanently in the car. Have not touched the CD player since an initial test when I got the car.

I also acquired for the first time ever an electric parking brake and automatic brake hold (which is separate). I always assumed EPBs were a menace but it turns out they are really useful and no problem using mine. Works very well in conjunction with the auto hold although not everyone uses them that way. For the record, after driving for more than 50 years I have never had any problem doing hill starts or anything else with a conventional manual handbrake.

A flat battery does mean that the EPB is locked on but a modern car is totally unusable anyway with a flat battery. On mine the first problem is working out where to find the emergency key and keyhole to even unlock the car - which also locks itself! On balance I like all the modern gadgets in spite of issues like that and have no wish to emulate the OP and turn back the clock.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Bolt

On balance I like all the modern gadgets in spite of issues like that and have no wish to emulate the OP and turn back the clock.

I`m with you on that, most things are there to assist not take over as some think, CD players though are being phased out like DVD players due to lack of use these days and saves space for other things in the car like cupholders ;)

FM is as good as DAB if you get a perfect signal (though not as many stations on it) and was going to be phased out soon but has been put off indefinitely because so many use it.

all DAB units have multiple aerials and electronics to accept ghost or bounced signals and combine them to give a seemless signal, which to my mind they may as well stuck to FM but thats progress for you, though I know FM was going to be used for other transmissions

all DAB units have multiple aerials and electronics to accept ghost or bounced signals and combine them to give a seemless signal, which to my mind they may as well stuck to FM but thats progress for you, though I know FM was going to be used for other transmissions

The Fabia has no visible aerial at all and holds DAB far better than my previous Roomster (or any other car) on VHF.

The advent of RDS made VHF/FM much more useable. I used to have memory banks in the BX's radio for (a) Sutton Coldfield and (b) Holme Moss with a mix of memory and a crib sheet in the car for frequencies elsewhere.

Reporting live from the cave.
Must admit I do enjoy the new stations that are only available on DAB but the signal strength and quality reminds me of my first Pye car radio that had FM in 1964.
DAB works ok in the home but not so on the move.
Surprised to see some more retro on my partners Captur with the drum rear brakes which work really well on the handbrake.
But did I read somewhere that the government are keen to rein in some FM and TV frequencies so that they can be sold for other use ?
Reporting live from the cave.

Hah, touche.

Surprised to see some more retro on my partners Captur with the drum rear brakes which work really well on the handbrake.

Nothing at wrong with rear drum brakes, far too many cars are fitted with rear discs which are not needed given how little braking the rears do when driving, rear drums mean large brake shoes equals jolly good real parking brakes, and without little used rear discs does away with corrosion and pitting of the same.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/02/2020 at 09:21

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - elekie&a/c doctor
Come to think of it , I do miss my starting handle . Always useful when setting up the distributor contact breaker points .
All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Big John

Ah yes - The only car I have ever owned with a starting handle was a morris 1000.

I like some of the car technology, but I'm not a fan on all of the basic functions being only available on a sub menu via a control screen - a major distraction to the driver if you need to change something basic, such as heating temperature!

Mrs BJ is a fully paid up member of the Luddite society so the choice of our next car may be a challenge

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - FoxyJukebox

I much enjoy DAB-I enjoy it so much that I change stations the moment I don't like a tune. When driving with SWMBA, she is always telling me to "stop fiddling with the radio and put two hands on the steering wheel".

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - badbusdriver

I think DAB reception depends on where in the country you are, and the terrain. Our Jazz does have DAB, but reception is pitiful, so i'm just sticking to FM for the time being. I also like a CD player, but admit that in a smaller car, storage space can be at a premium, so not too practical!.

As for things you used to get in cars which i miss, opening quarter lights. I have only had one car with this (a 1985 Lada) and it was great!.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Terry W

Six months ago bought a fairly basic family hatch which has, compared to my previous 2011 Octavia:

• DAB - also has FM but I don't use it
  • Bluetooth phone - useful
  • Bluetooth or memory stick music - beats fiddling around with CDs
  • Electric handbrake - automatically applied when key is removed
  • Automatic lights - useful. Lots of tunnels in Costa del Sol where we are wintering
  • Automatic wipers - sometimes a pain!
  • Automatic climate control
  • Built in European sat nav - updated for congestion etc

Would I go back in time for a daily driver - absolutely not.

Would I buy it as a fun car for the weekends - absolutely not

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - corax

Reporting from another cave - I still have an aftermarket head unit, but in my defence it has DAB. The aerial sits on the dash. Sound quality is inferior compared to FM but my preferred station 6music is only available on DAB.

Better sound quality with CD's but the mp3 format is just so compact and convenient. I don't miss a bulky changer in the boot.

Some things are better about modern life. The subwoofer craze sems to have waned recently. Really intrusive due to the wavelength making the sound carry for a long way.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - thunderbird

So this is progress !
DAB car radios , I have found have inferior sound to FM and most importantly constantly lose signal.
The loss of a multi change CD player is also sadly missed.
Electric handbrakes come next on my list of pet hates along with DPF shananagin s now on petrol as well as diesel cars.
Finally can we go back to dipswitches on the floor and indicator arms on the right hand side of the steering wheel !
PS I am sadly missing my Sony Trinitron TV with a square scree that I have recently updated

Just checked the date, its not April the 1st so I presume it snot a wind up.

We have a DAB radio in the Fabia and its absolutely magic. Despite warnings on the internet you still get traffic alerts on appropriate stations and when the DAB signal fades it reverts automatically to FM and carries on as normal reverting back to DAB when its available (this is Radio 2). Whats not to like.

No CD player in the Fabia but why do you need one. A 16 gb SD card in a slot in the glovebox hold far more music than a multichanger ever could and unlike multichangers an SD card does not get jammed when the CD drive gets all confused. Whats not to like.

Not had a electric handbrake but having drive several some appear great (VAG) and some were totally rubbish (Toyota and Volvo). I expect our next car to have one but it will not be one of the badly executed ones.

We escaped DPF's but it is surely irresponsible to pump carcinogenic particles into the atmosphere when there is a way of regucing them. Think about your kids/grandkids. I expect our next car to have a PPF/OPF and I will not be complaining when I am helping reduce pollution.

Dipswitches on the floor and RH indicators. Never had a car with a dipswitch on the floor and my first car was a 1964 reg. Last car I had with a RH indicator was a 1978 Triumph. Neither are a recent change and since the current layout is pretty universal why on earth would you want to swap back. Kia/Hyundai were in my experience the last to persevere with RH indicators and they joined the rest of the planet about 10 years ago.

Square televisions, WOW, that a blast from the past. Last 4:3 telly we had was a 14" one in the kitchen and that was replaced over 10 years ago. When the format of broadcasting changed it was rather strange to see the (at the time) new Fiat Grande Punto being advertised as the "rande Punt". Would never have bought a car with that name.

Perhaps you also miss smallpox, rickets, TB and many other afflictions that were popular in the past. A good dose of Bubonic Plague should also be on your list.

I do not miss having to hang a parking light on the top edge of the drivers window when parked on the highway overnight. White light facing forwards, red light facing rearwards. And the potential for a flat battery in the morning. But to be fair, that was to do with the regulations at the time and not the cars themselves.

I expect some younger readers will wonder what the hell I’m on about but older readers will understand. And as a footnote to parking overnight, when did it become acceptable to park on the highway at night facing ‘the wrong way’ ?

I expect some younger readers will wonder what the hell I’m on about but older readers will understand. And as a footnote to parking overnight, when did it become acceptable to park on the highway at night facing ‘the wrong way’ ?

Highway Code Rule 248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space

Just not enforced. And to be honest with modern cars and modern headlights/streetlights it's not really necessary.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 08/02/2020 at 13:42

Highway Code Rule 248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space

Just not enforced. And to be honest with modern cars and modern headlights/streetlights it's not really necessary.

Rather like the rule that says when we park on the street, we must leave our side lights (which according to the HC are actually parking lights) on in order for the car to 'be seen', if I recall correctly.

To the HC, 'side lights' are a myth and we are supposed to use dipped beam headlights near the end of daylight hours or in poor weather when the level of daylight is low. I always thought those rules daft as the former will flatten your battery in no time, the latter disallowing 'side lights' that can be as effective as DRLs on some cars and is fine in low-er light levels for a period.

Plod never seems to have a problem with either, and I've seen many a Police car doing the same anyway.

Sorry to go off-topic, but it is interesting.

. And as a footnote to parking overnight, when did it become acceptable to park on the highway at night facing ‘the wrong way’ ?

Probably the same time police officers decided to park the wrong side leaving headlights and blues blazing whilst they had an elongated chat with someone, on the roadside, just beyond their own headlights which had dazzled every vehicle approaching, seen this many times.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Heidfirst

Not had a electric handbrake but having drive several some appear great (VAG) and some were totally rubbish (Toyota and Volvo). I expect our next car to have one but it will not be one of the badly executed ones.

On my 2nd Toyota Avensis T27 (first European Toyota model to have an EPB afaik) with an EPB. Imo the only thing "poorly executed" with it's operation is the location of the button & I note that in newer Toyota models with EPB (C-HR, Corolla, RAV4 etc.) it has moved to a much more convenient spot.

This 2017 Avensis T27 integrated hill hold assist into it's EPB operation (the 2012 I had did not have hha) but I don't need that as I can manage to hold a car on it's clutch biting point OK myself ...

Digital TV and radio's greatest strength but also it's greatest weakness is that you can fit in far more 'data' on the spectrum as you could an analogue source, and depending upon the level of data compression and the original source material, get a better quality output for a much lower wattage of transmitter. The problem comes that because there are most radio stations and other competing media on the spectrum, the bit rate (quality) is lower than the equivalent for FM.

The major problem comes that, as with all digital transmissions, once data loss (due to either poor atmospherics or obstructions) reaches a certain level, the reception drops out completely, whereas analogoe signals gradually reduce in quality, not the cliff edge of digital.

As I understand it, theoriginal DAB standar was superseded by DAB+, but which cannot be recieved by the older radios, and our government (and a few others, including the RoI) did not legislate to upgrade to the newer one which incorporates much higher quality output. The car and ICE manufacturers also (in the main) did not include radio receiving equipment that could receive both types of signal, as far as I'm aware, so what works in one country won't work in another.

As regards CDs, the car manufacturers (in the main - few, such as Mazda still fit CDs to their latest models) presumably believe we'll all be using smartphones etc to play music via wireless (or wired) connections to the car. Converting CDs to mp3 can be a bit tedious (not sure about its legality, even for personal use), but once it's done, its done, and you can set reasonably decent bit rates if your phone's storage is reasonable.

As this thread has gone the way of DAB vs DAB+ a few accurate facts may be timely.

The UK was an early adopter of DAB so had an extensive system by the time the DAB+ standard was introduced. I and millions of others would have been very annoyed if our radios had been made useless overnight by a government regulated DAB+ switchover. Nevertheless, the UK now has a fair number of DAB+ stations and most receivers apart from those at the cheap end have both DAB and DAB+ reception.

DAB+ does not give "much higher quality output" than DAB per se, it allows higher quality within the same bandwidth or the same with less bandwidth. The main reason most stations broadcast well below the maximum achievable quality on DAB or DAB+ is to save money - more bandwidth costs them more. That is important to both commercial radio which finds it hard to make a profit and the BBC which faces constant budget problems. It is possible because, apart from a few fanatics who constantly complain on audio forums, the vast majority of listeners are content with the current quality, even in mono. Proof of that comes from the fad for expensive but small smart speakers most of which are mono and do little to help sound quality.

DAB+ does not give "much higher quality output" than DAB per se

It does as it uses AAC which was what Apples ipod used, but its up to the DAC to convert and the amplifier and speaker/s for the quality of sound

the cheaper the Amp and speakers the worst the sound, but that is like HiFi depends on a persons ears

I have a decent minim HiFi at home and find that DAB often produces 'flat' sound compared to the 'bright' FM. A bit like the difference between vinyl and CDs perhaps? Mine does show the bitrate of the transmissions and I was surprised at how low they were, below the level I would've accepted many years ago for mp3 files.

Well, at least I have a cassette player in both my HiFi and car as well as CD player, though only mp3 burnt on the CD will play (too old for a USB/iPod port or wireless).

Mine does show the bitrate of the transmissions and I was surprised at how low they were

Bitrate will only matter if you have a very good sound system, though you can buy decompression software/ systems to turn the music back to its original uncompressed state, but to most people its not a problem as some may not hear the difference

As with any HIFi it depends on how you hear it

DAB+ does not give "much higher quality output" than DAB per se

It does as it uses AAC which was what Apples ipod used, but its up to the DAC to convert and the amplifier and speaker/s for the quality of sound

Both systems use lossy compression. If you go to high enough bit rates (192 kbps and above) mp2 achieves much the same quality as AAC. The point about DAB+ (AAC) is, as I said, that you can use low bit rates and suffer less reduction in quality than with DAB (mp2).

Edited by misar on 08/02/2020 at 21:13

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - martin.mc

Stevieb, does your music system have a USB socket? If you have a desktop or laptop computer with a disc drive, it is very easy to put many CDs onto a USB stick. I missed having a CD player at first but have got used to it now. I agree with you about electric handbrakes though. Indicator stalks always used to on the right (far more logical) then Ford changed them over to the left with the Mk2 Escort in the mid 70s. Some makers, like Suzuki, kept them on the right well into the 2000s. I miss being able to spray water on the windscreen first, before the wipers start.

“ I miss being able to spray water on the windscreen first, before the wipers start”.

Yes, that’s a good point and something that I miss on my newer car. With my old Ford I used to give the windscreen a good dose of screenwash before activating the wipers in order to avoid dust and grit getting swept across by the wiper blades whilst some areas of the screen were potentially still dry.

Once again it seems the car manufacturers have devised a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Now, what about proper bumpers and the added luxury of overriders ( if you can remember what they were )

“ I miss being able to spray water on the windscreen first, before the wipers start”.

Yes, that’s a good point and something that I miss on my newer car. With my old Ford I used to give the windscreen a good dose of screenwash before activating the wipers in order to avoid dust and grit getting swept across by the wiper blades whilst some areas of the screen were potentially still dry.

Once again it seems the car manufacturers have devised a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Don't know how common this is but my Mazda has replaced the jets with nozzles attached to the wiper arms. The screen wash comes in a metered dose and starts flowing as the blades move so they spread it across the glass. Seems to work well and waste less liquid.

“Don't know how common this is but my Mazda has replaced the jets with nozzles attached to the wiper arms.

The Citroen BX did a more basic version of that trick using a pipe looped round the (single) wiper arm with about 4 holes from which water sprayed when the pump was activated. Quite effective but fiddly to adjust so it worked effectively at all speeds.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - wrangler_rover
Please give me cars with CD players because:
I don't have a desktop pc, I have my own and a company issue laptop, neither of these has a cd rom drive so without buying an external cd rom drive to plug into a laptop, I am not able to transfer my cds into electronic format to put onto a USB drive.
My company car has a jack socket so I propose to use a personal CD player in the car plugged into the car jack socket and play cds on my personal CD player (Walkman or disc man but other makes are available).
The only flaw in this logic is that the CD player will eat batteries so I will have to bite the bullet on battery consumption or buy a 12 volt to CD player adaptor.
And no I do not subscribe to any music streaming services, I prefer to own actual cds.

You could buy an external DVD-Rom drive that plugs in (powered by? Not sure, maybe not) to your laptop via a USB socket. Then you could transfer your CDs to mp3 and onto a flash drive or mobile phone. I don't think they cost that much.

Though probably better to find a relative or friend who does have a computer with a DVD drive that you can borrow the use of to do this one afternoon or suchlike. I suppose it depends upon how extensive your CD collection is!

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - dan86
Please give me cars with CD players because: I don't have a desktop pc, I have my own and a company issue laptop, neither of these has a cd rom drive so without buying an external cd rom drive to plug into a laptop, I am not able to transfer my cds into electronic format to put onto a USB drive. My company car has a jack socket so I propose to use a personal CD player in the car plugged into the car jack socket and play cds on my personal CD player (Walkman or disc man but other makes are available). The only flaw in this logic is that the CD player will eat batteries so I will have to bite the bullet on battery consumption or buy a 12 volt to CD player adaptor. And no I do not subscribe to any music streaming services, I prefer to own actual cds.

Amazon sell a personal CD player that can be run on batteries or via a USB 2 micro lead.

suffer less reduction in quality than with DAB (mp2).

question is can you tell the difference, afaia lossy only means almost the same as standard CD compression please correct if wrong?

Thanks Martin,

I'll try downloading CD s onto a USB stick as you say. More convenient than plugging in a phone .
Cheers

suffer less reduction in quality than with DAB (mp2).

question is can you tell the difference, afaia lossy only means almost the same as standard CD compression please correct if wrong?

Lossy simply means use of a compression technique which loses some of the original data.

There are also lossless compression techniques. For example ZIP is an archive file format that supports lossless data compression because you don't want to lose even a single byte when you compress your computer data files.

Edited by misar on 09/02/2020 at 12:32

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - kiss (keep it simple)

The BBC got a lot of stick originally claiming that DAB gave CD quality sound. It doesn't but if the bit rates are high enough, then to the vast majority of listeners it will sound perfectly acceptable. On the back of this criticism the bit rate for Radio 3 was increased to 192 kb per second which offers a pretty decent experience. Bear in mind that a car is not a great environment for listening. If you own a very high quality sound system at home, the numerous other platforms offer much higher bit rates and superior codecs (that's the bit that compresses the signal) and are more practical than they would be in a car. The independent DAB stations often use very low bit rates hence their lousy sound quality.

It probably won't be long until 'radio stations' just become 'wireless internet radio' stations that you stream through your mobile phones. The far higher bandwidth available would help the quality, assuming the UK could get its act together with regard to proper quality coverage of 4G+ across the entire UK.

Many radio stations already stream via their websites anyway, so it's not much of a stretch, and would seemingly reduce the demands on the transmission spectrum that is currently happening as 5G approaches. The same could go for TV, if, again, everyone had a decent internet access at home, allowing more of the spectrum to be used by mobile devices.

Am I making sense here or is this all rubbish or fantasy? Just think aloud really.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - kiss (keep it simple)

Perfectly sensible, Andy. Our DAB radio in the kitchen works OK but it is much quicker to locate a particular new channel on the phone rather than negotiate the radio's rather clunky menu. The key to a car's internet radio will be a decent interface, probably voice activated.

Perfectly sensible, Andy.

Hmm, not sure.

There's an argument that internet bandwidth is a limited resource and that taking it up for TV and Radio is a waste. Better to use VHF/UHF or satellite which are better technologies for mass distribution.

That was posited during 3G era. 5G or 6G may of course be game changers.

Am I making sense here or is this all rubbish or fantasy? Just think aloud really.

Dont forget wi-fi 6 is coming as well so more devices can connect at once instead of waiting in turn for its data, and transmission is far quicker

I gather sky is going over to broadband transmission shortly for rural reception if it hasn't already to get more people connected and with wi fi 6 should be able to do more

I think 5G is going to be hit and miss for a while as its almost in line of sight to the transmitter but once sorted you should be able to download a film in seconds which has been done in America

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Ethan Edwards

I don't miss cd changers. I prefer having a usb input. It enables me to connect a ipod classic. Up to 10,000 songs so far more choice. Unfortunately only having one usb is insufficient. You need to connect your phone too. So two is a minimum for me.

Another example of retro steps on modern cars is the reversing light. I mean light as all that is fitted to comply with EC regulations is a tiny oblong light which is fitted low down.
Absolutely useless , and no help for the reversing camera.
Only option is to switch on the hazards.
Main dealer has no solutions except fitting a halogen bulb.
Another example of retro steps on modern cars is the reversing light. I mean light as all that is fitted to comply with EC regulations is a tiny oblong light which is fitted low down. Absolutely useless , and no help for the reversing camera. Only option is to switch on the hazards. Main dealer has no solutions except fitting a halogen bulb.

If it is such a big problem attach a couple of rear spot lights and wire them into the existing reversing lamp circuit. Did that long ago on a Mk 2 Cortina - except that had no reversing lamp so I had to provide power and a manual switch as well.

You seem to be assuming that many cars are the same as yours which is not true. Would you like to share the make and model of this junk car you purchased?

Its on my partners new Renault Captur .

But i have n

Noticed that most new cars have the similar profile reverse light like hers !

Must be EC standard ?

Must be EC standard ?

Rear fog lights are mandatory in the EU, either in a pair or a single one on the driver's side. There is no EU legal requirement to fit a reverse light to a car

Many European manufacturers save money by having one fog lamp installed in the drivers side tail lights cluster and using the space on the other side to hold a single reverse light.

My Mazda has an identical rear cluster each side so I have two fog lights and two (very bright LED) reverse lights. Apparently this is common with the Asian manufacturers but with lights often behind plastic covers these days it can be hard to spot unless you see the lights operating.

All modern cars - DAB Radios and No CD players - Smileyman

I find the quality of sound on the DAB better than on FM, but that DAB frequently cuts out leaving silence. If the station is also broadcast on FM (eg many BBC stations) the radio seamlessly switches over (I only know because the display changes) but if listening to stations like Magic, Smooth and Virgin radio I end up with silence. Also, I've lost AM, not that I used to listen very often.

As for CD player, I do have one tucked away in the glove box, but better to stream music via Bluetooth from the mobile phone to the audio unit, I have full control and stay legal this way.