What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Resuming Driving - RaineMan

I know someone who learned to drive in their mid-twenties. They have only had one car which was written off in a bizarre accident. After a 30 year break he now wants to resume driving. I suggested that before he even test drives any cars he takes a few lessons to get up to speed. He said this was nonsense as driving like cycling is something you never forget. What are forum members' views?

P. S. He can't actually ride a bike!

Edited by RaineMan on 25/01/2020 at 17:32

Resuming Driving - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I agree with you. If they have lost their nerve that long ago, today's driving conditions will seem very different. The traffic volume has increased incredibly in Chesterfield over the last ten years.

My BIL drove in NZ and held a driving licence, possibly he passed his test in the UK.

He was driving with his two young daughters in the car when he was alarmed by a dodgy overtake came towards him. No collision took place. The thought of driving again was too much for him and he's not driven for 40 years. He let his late wife do all the driving. Me, I live and learn each day and I learn to cope with most things. I also feel I could cope better with a tyre blow out at speed than SWMBO.

Resuming Driving - Ethan Edwards

Agreed he definitely needs a few lessons. He is going to be so overwhelmed it's scary.

Resuming Driving - Andrew-T

I agree with you. If they have lost their nerve that long ago, today's driving conditions will seem very different. The traffic volume has increased incredibly in Chesterfield over the last ten years.

Never mind the traffic - tho that will be bad enough - the cars have changed a lot too.

Resuming Driving - Engineer Andy

I agree that a brush up on the skills front, including having a driving instructor give them some lessons (and get them to give your friend a 'mock driving test') is not only a great idea but a very necessary one.

I learned to drive when I was 18 in Sixth Form, but didn't drive again until I was 24, other than once (6 months earlier) taking my firm's Fiesta van 200yrds round to the local dealer. Needless to say, after the brief go with the little van, I thought I needed a brush-up, but didn't go to a driving instructor.

When I bought my car (a Micra, easy to drive in the grand scheme), I was very rusty and thus did not drive it to work for a good two weeks, instead taking it out with one of my parents as passenger and for reassurance. Whilst I improved enough to then drive by myself, I think I would've improved quicker had I gone with an instructor instead, and avoided an argument with my Dad!

For your friend, I suspect his skills will be far more rusty than mine were, especially as I was far more concious that this may be the case. There's nothing worse than an over-confident driver on the road - they could easily kill themselves and others because they either take unecessary risks or are over-awed by driving in the modern world - even for me, driving (continuously) since the late 90s, the experience has changed quite a bit.

IMHO, traffic levels are far higher, people drive faster, brake later, are less attentive and take more risks. In many areas, what used to be 'rush hours' form most of the day.

Resuming Driving - Terry W

Just ask whether he would be happy submitting himself - or his children:

• to a dentist who last did a filling in 1990
  • to a taxi driver who last drove a car in 1992
  • to an airline pilot whose last flight was 25 years ago in a trainer bi-plane
  • to a solicitor who last practiced in 1987
  • etc etc
Resuming Driving - focussed

The scary thing about the original post is the the subject hasn't been a road user for 30 years, not even being able to ride a bike, yet thinks he can still cope with driving on the roads today!

I had a few "returner" pupils like this when I was an instructor, they ranged from the extremely over cautious to the point of being dangerous, to the over confident, again leading to dangerous situations.

The way that I used to approach this sort of pupil was, after the basic eyesight test, I used to assess their driving in a non-demanding environment as to their basic driving ability, quiet roads. little traffic, no difficult junctions etc - some were downright dangerous leading to use of dual controls, others were surprisingly good.

And take the coaching from where their level of driving is as assessed, to where it needs to be to give them the knowledge, observation and hazard perception skills and confidence to give them a reasonable chance of surviving on today's roads.

Edited by focussed on 25/01/2020 at 23:47

Resuming Driving - Bromptonaut

Just ask whether he would be happy submitting himself - or his children:

• to a dentist who last did a filling in 1990
  • to a taxi driver who last drove a car in 1992
  • to an airline pilot whose last flight was 25 years ago in a trainer bi-plane
  • to a solicitor who last practiced in 1987
  • etc etc

An airline pilot whose last flight was 25 years ago in a Boeing 737 200 would be pretty alarming too :-).

Resuming Driving - expat

I last rode a motorcycle more than 50 years ago. I enjoyed them then but have no intention of going out on one again. It would be a quick way to kill myself.

Resuming Driving - SLO76
I sat my PSV test just over 5yrs ago and passed first time, I then had a pay rise from my then employer to retain me and didn’t drive a bus again for almost 3yrs. When I went to my current employers driving school for assessment I was no better than many of the other new learners. It took a weeks refresher to dust me off and prepare me for the road. It was in a more relaxed setting though as they knew I didn’t have to pass my test. I would’ve been a danger had I just jumped behind the wheel and drive without help however.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/01/2020 at 08:48

Resuming Driving - gordonbennet

One size does not, and never will despite it all the forces at work to make it so (for the proles), fit all.

Some people could jump back in the driving seat and pick it up again in minutes, others will never be competent drivers if they've continued doing so all through those years and for the next 30, we see them every day.

I'd be inclined not to try and influence the friend here, let him make his own mind up and if it goes pear shaped its down to him.

Resuming Driving - focussed

The trouble with that GB is that it could go pear-shaped for an innocent road user as well as the returner.

Resuming Driving - RaineMan

Thank you for the replies /cimments. I probably will suggest refresher lessons again if he continues with the idea as he is somewhat uncoordinated.

An older friend has a similar problem. SWMBO has not driven for an even longer period having given up on marriage. He assumed her licence would lapse at 70 but she renewed unjust in case! When he was unable to drive following surgery last year he managed to keep things to taxis, buses and the occasional lift. He hopes she never tries!