What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - Advice re: buying used Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - KQ

Hi, I would be grateful for any advice and tips when buying a used Civic auto. I'm looking at spending up to circa £12,000, so will probably end up being a 2015 or 2016 model or maybe (just!) a 2017 one.

I am switching from an Auris Hybrid as I have had my catalytic converter stolen recently and not confident that it won't keep happening in the part of London I work in, so I was looking for a reliable auto with reasonable fuel economy and where the cat is not located where it is dead easy for scum bags to steal in seconds!

From what I have read Civic auto gearboxes and Civiic's in general seem to be very reliable but does anyone know if they are good in terms of general security or are they also a magnet for thieves?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - Advice re: buying used Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - badbusdriver

The Civic is indeed an extremely reliable car in all areas, like your Auris. But i'd think you will notice a bit of a jump in fuel costs going from your hybrid to a petrol with t/c auto gearbox. Would it not be worthwhile trying one of the catalytic converter security devices you can get these days?. Doubtful there is any way to guarantee you won't suffer the same fate again, but for obvious reasons, slowing them down by providing a visible deterrent is probably the best option. Maybe something like this?

www.ebay.co.uk/i/233388031402?chn=ps&norover=1...E

I'm afraid i have no idea if the cat on the Civic is in a more vulnerable position than in any other car.

Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - Advice re: buying used Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - KQ

Thank you. Maybe you have a good point, and could be worth trying to fit a cover over the catalytic converter and see how it goes, i'm just not sure how much of a deterrent they will be as there doesn't seem to be much information online about how often cars are targeted when they've been fitted.

Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - Advice re: buying used Honda Civic 1.8 Auto - SLO76
The cat on the Civic is under the bonnet so theft is much more difficult and visible. They’re also very reliable and pretty decent on fuel for a petrol automatic. They do make an excellent small family autos. That said, I don’t think I’d fork out thousands to change car when a cheap deterrent is very likely to put off opportunists.