What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz GLA - Mini Countryman, Volvo XC40 or Mercedes GLA - Zishan Hussain

Hello. My wife is on the motobility scheme and is due a new car soon. I've boiled it down to a shortlist of these 3:

Mini countryman - the phev version. Basically we do low town miles or long road trips. If this is something like it using only electric for the first x miles then potentially that would be a real cost saver.

Volvo XC40 - As we have 2 kids and stay at our familie's houses often then practicality and big boot is important so i'venever owend a volvo but hear they're very practical.

Merc GLA- We've had an audi q3 as our last motobility car and it's been a pleasure although we aren't keen on the Q2 as it has a smaller boot, this merc seems like a good option as it is comparable in many ways.

all these three sort of fulfil on our criteria so just wondering what your guys views were?

The scheme is for three years from new. They're all comparable price and comparable mpg (maybe the mini would be a bit better considering ltos of short journeys) and comparable size and shape. Perhaps the merc is the snazziest looking in white. The mini is also quite stylish. Maybe the volvo would be best for the motorway miles. What do people think? Especially want to hear from anyone who owns one of these.

Thanks!

Edited by Zishan Hussain on 21/08/2019 at 15:18

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Mini Countryman, Volvo XC40 or Mercedes GLA - 72 dudes

We will shortly be in the same boat, current Q3 on Motability scheme, new Q3 price is over the cap so not currently on the scheme.

I don't know much about the Mini but from what I've read, it has a firm choppy ride.

The GLA is nice but you don't sit as high up as in the Q3. This may not be a factor for you or your wife though. New facelifted GLA should be available to order soon.

Which leaves the Volvo XC40, easily the pick of the three. Comfortable, spacious, quiet, classy. The AP is quite high on these but the entry level Momentum has most things except front sensors which can be added for about £375. However spend an extra £700 on the AP and you can step up to the Inscription model which has front sensors, leather seats, LED headlights and power tailgate.

The XC40 would be my choice.

I would also recommend a look at the DS7 Crossback too.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Mini Countryman, Volvo XC40 or Mercedes GLA - badbusdriver

Don't go thinking of the GLA as being comparable to the Q3 in terms of space, cos it aint!. The GLA is nothing more than a jacked up A-Class, which itself is Merc's Golf rival, but the point is, it has no more space than the A-Class. The Q3 had both a bigger boot and cabin than the A3 on which it was based. Yes the GLA has a bigger boot than a Q2, but not by much, and certainly not enough to make it a viable option if you feel the Q2's boot is too small for your needs.

TBH, i don't fancy any of those choices, but that is just my personal opinion, I don't really like SUV's. What i mean is, unless there is a genuine fault to be discussed with one of your 3 options, it really will (and should) come down to your own opinion, not someone else's. And the only way for that to happen is for you to go and sit in, poke and prod, take for a (preferably decent length) test drive each one. Decide where your priorities lie, and go with the car which best fits those.

The Volvo is certainly getting rave reviews from the motoring press, but would you be happy with the fact that pretty much the controls are done from the touchscreen?. Not sure i would, but some might find it absolutely fine.

I do quite like the Peugeot 3008. As far as SUV's go, i think it is interesting, distinctive, but not OTT in the looks department. So if i had to go SUV, that is where i'd be looking first. I also like the looks of the Mazda CX3, but i'm guessing that would be too small for your needs.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Mini Countryman, Volvo XC40 or Mercedes GLA - Avant

Depending on what your wife's disability is, getting in and out may be a factor (hence the need for an SUV?).

You'd need to try the various options out. I'd agree that the Volvo XC40 is the best option of the three that you've shortlisted, but unless you're tall there is a step up into it (unlike my Q2 where you neither climb up nor down). Volvo dealers will tell you that heating and aircon can be adjusted by voice command as well as the touchscreen: you may or may no be able to live wth that. It has a good big boot.

You could add the VW T-Roc and Skoda Karoq to your list: similar in overall size to the Q2 but I think their boots are a bit bigger.