What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - groaver

HJ has dirven it, I haven't so he can compare but I thought the following sentence quite remarkable:

Handling and roadholding on the 235/45 R18 tyres is fine. Actually better than a Mondeo.

Now I know the Mondeo lost a bit in its latest incarnation but that's some leap of faith that I'm going to have to take.

Or did he mean the Camry rides better on those 18's better than a Mondeo on 18's???

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/toyota/toyota-camry-hybrid-2019-road-test/

Edited by groaver on 01/08/2019 at 18:24

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Metropolis.
Having ridden in a few of these RHD Hybrid Camrys in Macau on the old Portuguese streets i can confirm they ride very well and they are very hushed. Aircon was impressive too! Overall a very spacious, relaxing place to sit. Didn’t seem strained on the incredibly steep streets either. Can’t comment on handling because most of the drivers only spoke cantonese otherwise i would have asked.. I hope they have kept that soft suspension tune for UK market!
Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - gordonbennet

Toyota must be over the moon with that review, whether it out-handles a Mondeo is immaterial to the vast majority of us, it's likely to be completely reliable for years and under long distance driving at least is well into the 50's mpg.

I could certainly live with an estate car version if Toyota get their finger out and square the back off making a real useful shooting brake version...oh and for goodness sake Toyota, stop with trying to compete with other makers for the most awful stupid looking grills, which are spoiling your otherwise quite decent looking cars, this is also the issue with Lexus models and i for will be glad when the fad for these eyesores moves on.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - groaver

Toyota must be over the moon with that review, whether it out-handles a Mondeo is immaterial to the vast majority of us, it's likely to be completely reliable for years and under long distance driving at least is well into the 50's mpg.

Very true. Most don't look for handling.

It's just that I wonder if the claim is true.

It's just that I wonder if the claim is true.

I know Toyotas are not viewed as driver's cars as such , well by the majority of reviewers anyway..HJ is hardly the typical motoring writer..but i've driven literally hundreds of the things and they are consistently light and easy to drive, yes even my old Landcruisers which one might not think of as nice drives are relaxing and competent on the road, they just work.

My wife says exactly the same, she worked in rental defleet and onward sales many years ago, how we met, and she would always try and poach a Previa or Camry or similar for the weekend, simply because they were just good and simple to drive, she is no slouch on the road and takes some keeping up with.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - DirkThrust
Very interesting. This car is top of my short list for when my Passat starts getting expensive. I’ve also been thinking about an auto because my wife can’t drive a manual and it means we have to park the cars in the right order in the driveway.

She currently has a 2010 1.8 auto Verso and to say I’m impressed with it is an understatement. In spite of minimal servicing( it visits Toyota once a year ) and a very hard life, it’s basically a short journey taxi for our children and her friends, and it never goes wrong, unlike the Passat which has a constant stream of failures.

As for driving, I prefer it to the VW. The driver’s seat is like a comfortable armchair, nice light steering, smooth and quiet engine, and a pleasure to drive around town. It’s a bit cheap and plasticky inside and doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but everything works and that matters more to me than the bling of the Passat. About the only thing the Passat does better is sitting on the motorway at 70 - 80 for mile after mile.

gb, you need one of these. Saw some in NZ a few years ago and really like them.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1111071

That's what i'm talking about, Japan market so designed from scratch as a RHD, looks really good with a not in your face front end, decent estate car proportions, Toyota reliability, what's not to like, why Toyota constantly failed to bring in desirable estate cars that they already made to a RHD market has always been a mystery to me...let alone for years no Camry at all when the one of the last ten years was a lovely car....but then few would have bought the Lexus IS.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/08/2019 at 10:12

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Engineer Andy

It should be noted (I just watched a video from John Cadogan about this) that Toyota are getting sued Down Under via a class action lawsuit for apparent inherrant design defects (as yet not fixed) in their 2.8TD engine (the DPF system, including the injector for the DPF) found in their pick-up trucks, which, like with VAG and Dieselgate, could land them in serious do-do as regards their reputaion and having to fork out a load of money in compensation.

Somewhat bad news to go with the good news of the new (better looking) TNGA cars and the decent 2.0 hybrid engine.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - SLO76
Very much my kinda car. Nice to see the return of the blue collar exec or the Dad car as I term it. The only other currently on sale is the Skoda Superb. Bit too much money and they’ll drop hard in the early years but as a used buy these will be excellent.

SLO i think they'll be hard to find used and i suspect hold more value than you suggest, private hire especially the longer distance airport/exec carriers are going to snap these up like hot cakes.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - expat
Very much my kinda car. Nice to see the return of the blue collar exec or the Dad car as I term it. The only other currently on sale is the Skoda Superb. Bit too much money and they’ll drop hard in the early years but as a used buy these will be excellent.

I'll second that. Big comfortable mile eaters. You used to be able to buy cars like that, two year old at auction ex fleet, still with a year's warranty for about half the new price. You could easily get fifteen years trouble free motoring if you serviced them regularly and looked after them. Those days are gone now, here in Australia and I think also in the UK. The auction houses here are run by Mannheim and have the charges stacked against the individual buyer. No more bargains there. The fleets here are not buying big cars anymore so the market is not flooded with two year old cars going cheap. A great pity.

I suspect the return of this car to UK shores is why Toyota aren't offering the latest TNGA-specced Corolla (which is apparently far superior to the outgoing Auris) is the combo of saloon and 2.0 hybrid - just the worth but unispiring, slow 1.8 hybrid (taxis?) and the 1.2T manual (I want an auto next time), meaning you have to buy the hatch (small boot) or the estate, which, to be fair, is the best looking of the three shapes offered, but I like saloons.

The Camry is rather long, and in terms of size is going in the wrong direction as regards car size for my next purchase, and the Corolla saloon in those other two engine specs doesn't appeal to me at all (they aren't any/much better than my current 13yo Mazda3 in terms of pace). Nice car otherwise.

From watching John Cadogan's videos, at least Down Under you guys get a more comprehensive engine range on vehicles sold there - especially with the Japanese makes, back in Blighty we get a reduced range, often favouring the lower capacity end of the range (e.g. Mazda not offering the nice 2.5 N/A on the 3, CX-5 and CX-30 and 2.5T on any car [and none of the bigger CXs being available at all]). Maybe it's an emissions regs/EU corporate CO2 level thingy.

Even so, we often miss out on the decent engines, and whilst the Europeans seem to have got one over the Japanese with their small capacity turbo petrols, they either aren't up to the mark reliability or customer service-wise generally and/or (VAG) use dual clutch auto boxes, which I don't like and still don't appear to be reliable.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Avant

From what Fray Bentos and others are saying on the excellent thread that he started about his Auris, it sounds as if the 1.2T small petrol turbo is at least the equal of anything European.

So if you want a manual Corolla, go for the 1.2T: if you want an automatic, there are the 1.8 and 2.0 hybrids. I'm not sure there's been enough of an upsurge, if any, in the demand in the UK for small / medium saloons: hence Toyota's decision to limit saloons to the Camry. Even then, the market for saloons seems to favour the 'prestige' brands, so Toyota may struggle with it.

Edited by Avant on 04/08/2019 at 15:01

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Falkirk Bairn

The 1st year Camry allocation is 400 - less than 8 per week - the numbers are so low they might just hold their value rather than dropping like a stone Infiniti / Mondeo / Insignia.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Zippy123

Unfortunately the decision to use a traditional instrument binnacle whilst the likes of Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW are moving to glossy digital ones will, I suspect, put many company car drivers off who will be comparing their latest model with their colleagues.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Ronan Tighe

Toyota Ireland expected to sell 200 Canry per year here. 322 sold this year up to 31st July. This despite falling vehicle sales overall, and the continued popularity of SUV/ Crossover type cars. It has struck the right note with many people, especially as the sale of diesel cars plummet- -21% ytd.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Heidfirst

So if you want a manual Corolla, go for the 1.2T: if you want an automatic, there are the 1.8 and 2.0 hybrids. I'm not sure there's been enough of an upsurge, if any, in the demand in the UK for small / medium saloons: hence Toyota's decision to limit saloons to the Camry. Even then, the market for saloons seems to favour the 'prestige' brands, so Toyota may struggle with it.

I think that what Andy was decrying/saying though was that in the UK if you want a Corolla saloon you can only buy it with the 1.8 hybrid powertrain - you can't buy either a 1.2T or 2.0 hybrid Corolla saloon in the UK. www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/corolla-saloon/specs-and...s

Yep - I faced the same issue with the Mazda 3 on the gen-3 car when they dropped the auto version of the fastback, though it is back, for the moment, on the gen-4 car, although, like with the Corolla, the engine range is much more limited than the smaller booted hatchback.

With the Camry, it's in a market dominated by the Germans but is really on competing with the Lexis IS/GS and, to some degree, the Mazda 6, though I can't believe it'll sell well, given the price. It's probably the reason why Honda pulled the Accord from the UK market.

Toyota Camry Hybrid - New Toyota Camry Review - Falkirk Bairn

The Civic saloon is almost the size of the old Accord BUT instead of a 2.0 or 2.4 ltr engine it's a 3 cylinder turbo 1 ltr petrol or a NA diesel.

No option of the 180 BHP 1.5 4 cyl petrol from the Civic Hatch & CRV

The Civic saloon is almost the size of the old Accord BUT instead of a 2.0 or 2.4 ltr engine it's a 3 cylinder turbo 1 ltr petrol or a NA diesel.

No option of the 180 BHP 1.5 4 cyl petrol from the Civic Hatch & CRV

Indeed - I had the same issue with the Mazda3 gen-3 fastback when, like the rest of the UK range at that time 2.5 years ago), the nice 2.5 petrol (never mind the really good 2.5T) was never offered in the 3 (not even the hatch) or for that matter, any other Mazda on sale in the UK.

All we initial had was the smooth but not quick standard 2.0 (122PS - no remapped 163PS version like in the hatch) and the (IMHO) unreliable 1.5 and 2.2 turbo diesels, then they dropped the auto half way through the life of the model with no explanation.

I know that non-German small-to mid-sized saloons haven't been popular in the UK for a good while now, but I think that's as much to do with poor marketing and a limited engine/spec lineup as it is people not liking them for the lower level of practicalty compared to hatchbacks (including the jacked-up SUVs and MPVs of the last decade).

Whilst I was annoyed that I couldn't get a new PC box into my Mazda3 saloon's boot (the boot aperture was too small, as was the rear door openings), that was the one and only time I've had that sort of bother. Yes, rear view isn't as good as the hatch, but parking sensors would instantly cure that (something I should've gone for when I bought it as a dealer-add-on), but as the structural design is stiffer, it handles a bit better than the hatch (which I've driven) and the boot itself is about 40-50L bigger, plus the car is vastly nicer to look at than the hatch version.

Admitedly, the latest Mazda3 (gen-4) hatch version is very good looking and far nearer in that regard to the fastback than my gen-1 car, but the boot in the latest hatch, like the latest Corolla, is still only around the 360L mark, whereas the saloon versions of both is quite a bit larger. Oddly enough, whilst the engine lineup is limited in the Mazda3 fastback, unlike the Corolla, the (current) range topping petrol one is available (2.0 HCCI, no standard one) and at least the auto is, for the moment, also available. Still no 2.5 though (available in the 6 only).

I suppose with the Camry, the 2.5 hybrid is probably more reasonable, given it is quite a large car in comparison to the Corolla (even in saloon or estate form), though I suspect that the 2.0 hybrid would probably do perfectly fine, but its low sales would mean hardly any would be bought, rather like the Mazda3 gen-3 car and its 1.5 N/A petrol engine (which wasn't that much lower in power than the standard 2.0) which barely sold any and was quietly dropped when the fastback auto was.

The Civic saloon is a car without a market - it, to me, isn't really much of a looker (barely different to the hatch), doesn't have a decent engine (many people buy saloons for the driving experience as well as the looks) power-wise - like the Corolla, I think its a car they think is a taxi (bigger boot) or for 'slow older drivers'. But its a BIG car, but it is VERY expensive for what you get in terms of the performance.

The Germans seem to realise this and instead only give their small and medium saloons the upper performance engines, but still retaining the auto versions, because they know that most buyers want the (better) driving experience to go with the superior styling.

Maybe its because most Japanese saloons end up in North America (and to a lesser extent, Down Under) and they don't have the EU corporate CO2 emissions regs to deal with that they also get the higher-spec engines on their saloons, and because they are far more popular with the Americans and Candians who perhaps value the space more and don't have our restricted width roads to contend with so much and don't mind buying larger cars.

Bummer.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/08/2019 at 17:00