What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Micra - Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed down - Chris S

I can hear a spinning noise when I press down the clutch pedal on my 2001 Micra. Does anybody know what it is please?

I don't think it's the release bearing. I did a Google search and that would cause a spinning noise when the pedal is up.

This is an old car with about 6 months MOT left on it so it's not worth taking to a garage.

Nissan Micra - Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed down - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the noise is in the clutch/gearbox . So if it’s in this area, gearbox will need to come out whatever. I think I would live with it until / if something fails.
Nissan Micra - Spinning noise when clutch pedal pressed down - Cris_on_the_gas

Most likely a worn Thrust bearing. Play in these normally make a noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.

If you are a reasonable DIY'er and have a workshop manual then replacement part just saw for approx. £10. Expect a garage to charge you 3-4 hours labour to replace plus they will most likely want to change the clutch friction plate & pressure plate at the same time. which aren't expensive, just saw a pattern Clutch kit including the bearing £32. ECP. So a total bill of £300'ish

Danger is if it disintegrates it could damage the pressure plate, gearbox casing or possibly the flywheel. This would be good bye

If it were me I'd get a manual and have a go, but even forking out £300 would be safer than have a roadside failure.