What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Advance on gearbox and clutch - bhocking95
Hi
So I was wondering if I should take my car to a garage ASAP or not as I’m worried I may have damaged the clutch and/or the gearbox. As I do tend to waffle I’ll try and keep it as simple as possible. I was at a busy roundabout and was at a standstill when I see an opening. I of course go for it in 1st gear, but I was an absolutely idiot when I went to change gear in that I put my foot on the clutch to change it to 2nd but I just forgot to do so (after driving for 4years I’ve never done anything like it so I can’t believe i’ve done such a stupid thing). I took my foot off the pedal and the car bounced around and clearly wasn’t happy about still being in 1st at 15-20mph. There were no horrible grinding noises or anything and it did go into 3rd no problem. I then finished the journey and it seems okay if a little clunky but I don’t know if that’s just psychological rather than the car itself, as I feel like i’ve broken something but I can’t tell what.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Many thanks
B
2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Advance on gearbox and clutch - Oli rag

I doubt that you have done any major damage by over revving the engine as most have a rev limiter fitted. This might explain the bouncing around as engines do stutter at max revs.