What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus MK2 - Battery / starting issues - Gary Gunning

Good evening

I have been having issues starting my car for a few months and maintaining a charge. I bought the car 2 years ago for commuting around 65 miles per day which I did until January of this year. Since then without going for a decent drive (20 miles either way) I can only use it 3/4 times before it won't start. I have had Green Flag out to check the battery and have said it runs fine (around 14.6V) so apparently that isn't the issue. At the same time they advised that the alternater is fine. I have spoken with someone who has a decent knowledge and advised to get my battery rechecked as it can still show a good output when all the cells might not be working properly.

My queries are: can the battery show a good output when not 100% and is thet anything else I should be looking at apart from the wiring?

Thanks

Gary

Ford Focus MK2 - Battery / starting issues - elekie&a/c doctor
How old is the car? Can you see any date stamp on the case or terminals ? You need to find a workshop that can do a conductance test on the battery. This will show its percentage Cca available against battery specification.
Ford Focus MK2 - Battery / starting issues - Gary Gunning

Hi, thanks for your reply. The car is 9 years old and the current battery was put in when I bought the car just over 2 years ago. I have not looked at that but will later today. I have also arranged for a battery check to be done in the next few days at Kwik FIt.

Ford Focus MK2 - Battery / starting issues - RJ414i

It could be worth having it re checked, batteries can sometimes have 'a law too themselves'!!

Ford Focus MK2 - Battery / starting issues - 3uga

Change battery. Ive seen cars start fine with a old battery but the alternater would hardly give them a charge after 20min of use becase it didnt have the specified output. Once battery eas changed, problem disapeard