What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - First Car: Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - seaanf

At 28 I am finally learning to drive and look to be passed in the next month. After many weeks/months of looking around, I am still undecided about which car I should go for.

I am looking for a reliable, petrol, semi-practical and fun car to drive, with a budget upto £4000. To this end I am more inclined to go for a Hatchback (although this isn't set in stone).

Car will be used for both short commute on bad weather/lazy days and leisure (driving, cycling, camping etc).

I am looking at Si-T trim (1.8L) on the civic and sport/sport nav 1.6-2.0L) on the Mazda 3.

I am leaning towards the civic as the boot space looks huge, especially with the seats folded which could be ideal for storing my bike in and possibly sleeping in? on trips. I also like how the rear doors almost open 90 deg.I also like the two tier digital dash.

However the mazda is lower in insurance and a little cheaper to buy, the interior looks a bit better quality and the speaker system looks better specd, which i would probably eventually update in the civic. I have read that cabin noise could be an issue.

Could anyone give any insight into either of these models in regards to the other or if they're are any alternatives I should also consider.

Thanks all.

Honda Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - First Car: Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - SLO76
Both are very good options at this money but the Mazda is the more entertaining drive. The Honda is more practical, a bit quicker and also better on fuel. But at this money condition and history are more important than any of this so pick depending on which is in the best condition.

I’d add the Mk II Ford Focus 1.6 or 1.8 into the mix too. It’s great fun to drive and uses a Japanese designed engine. Yamaha in the 1.6 and Mazda in the 1.8/2.0.

You’re right to stick with petrol here too so don’t let any salesman convince you otherwise.
Honda Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - First Car: Civic (2010-2011) or Mazda 3 (2009+) - badbusdriver

I think you'd struggle to sleep in the back of a Civic unless you are pretty short!. As volumous as it is, it just doesn't have the length. I guess you could get a roof tent?.

SLO suggested the Focus, this was available as a mechanically identical estate and handles pretty well too. That would be a better bet if you wanted to sleep in the back though i think you'd still struggle if above average height. Here is a 2009 1.8 Zetec on Autotrader to give you an idea,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190303550...1