Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Jimborr99

HI All

Quick question.

Car has been in dealer for 9 weeks so far for insurance repair. (4 weeks discounted due to the Christmas holidays and waiting repair authorisation) - anyway to keep this as short as possible, the car has "almost" been ready twice, except they cannot get the airbag light off. Latest was supposed to be last week when they moved it from bodyshop to main garage to plug the computer in (otherwise car was sorted) - however after calling back when asked to, advised the code simply said "Airbag module" and they can't trace fault but (to keep insurance cost down) do not yet want to order a new module due to cost and labour etc. and they would call me when they had any info but wouldn't be drawn on how long the checks would take. I've already decided to wait another week and then call back (assuming they don't phone to say its' sorted) - wondering if anyone has any tips for "What to ask" then, and / or if it is a case of just having to wait?

I haven't had an insurance repair before so, a bit new to me: not concerned if the garage say "It will be another "X" week(s)" or say something a bit more concrete - I am just concerned that the latest is a little open ended, while understanding they need to check things out, at what point could it be said "Surely that's long enough"

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Galaxy

I think you need to speak to your insurance company and tell them all you've said in your post. Tell them that time is of the essence and ask them to escalate your case.

Thanks for the response Galaxy. In fairness to the dealer, if the car'd been finished last week (or even this) then I wouldn't say overall they'd taken too long - if they came back and said "We know what the fault is, it'll be another fortnight" then no problem with that either; the car is only five months old (two of which it's been off the road!) - I suppose (not having experience of these things) I am also asking if anyone knows if there's a 'cutoff' (e.g. the garage would say they were 'stumped') given the potential number of things that might need checked!

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - daveyjp

It will be down to the garage to fully assess what is required and report back to the insurance company for them to agree to the work, or write it off as uneconomical to repair.

Is the garage carrying out the repair work a main dealer for that particular make of car? If so then they should be able to seek the assistance of the manufacturers engineering staff, if necessary, to help them sort the problem out.

If the garage aren't a main dealer for that make of car then I think that's probably where your car needs to go. The present garage are clearly having the greatest difficulty with the airbag problem

As I say, speak to your insurance company.

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - John F

Unacceptable. 'Christmas holidays' are three working days apart from the outdoor construction industry. Waiting a few weeks for parts might be reasonable for an old Japanese car requiring a rare part from Tokyo, but not for a current Fiesta. For some garages it's a bit like dealing with lawyers...unless you chivvy them, nothing happens. Still, all delays are grist to the mills of the motor and insurance industries. My last experience of arguing the toss re an accident repair versus write off was the cost of the hire car eventually exceeding the cost of repair. Didn't cost me anything so why should I care?

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Ethan Edwards

You should care because it bumps up everyone's premium. Last car I had repaired I declined a credit hire car. I have a second car and I wanted to keep the cost down.

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Andrew-T

I have a second car and I wanted to keep the cost down.

And did it ?

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - gordonbennet

You haven't got an expensive credit hire car whilst this ingenious game plays out have you?

If you have i'd be getting a bit concerned that i'd be the one left picking up the car hire tab.

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Ethan Edwards

Overall claim cost undoubtedly. Made no odds to me as I was the innocent party and the other side picked up the bill. General principle of the thing. Credit Hire bloats claims costs and ups everybody's premium.

Unfortunately Ethan Edwards, people like you who can see further than their wallets are vanishing day by day, whilst free dosh or free bonus upmarket hire car might appeal to the other sort, we all end up paying for it one way or another.

Hey all

Luckily I have a courtesy car (not bothering to pay the extra for the supposed benefit of a hire car for three weeks) so no cost to me directly. The car is in a main dealer (same dealership which supplied car). From what was told to me previously (last week) ("There is a bit on the steering wheel") I think they might be looking at the clockspring (or have been talking about that) before this weeks' more vague "Still diagnosing"; according to what they've said, they missed a couple of things during the initial work which were then ordered and fitted, a week later another part, then onto "now"

Edited by Jimborr99 on 20/02/2019 at 18:09

Ah, a proper courtesy car and no danger of a credit hire going pear shaped, wise chap.

9 weeks for an accident repair at a Ford Main Dealers? What on earth is going on? I don't know how much damage there was to your car but I'm afraid that, as far as I'm concerned, you are being messed-about big time! Possibly others might think differently but that's my view.

They need to get on with it, sort the problems out and give you your car back. Their efforts in attempting to sort out the problems sound amateurish, to say the least.

Not only would I be speaking to the insurance company but I think I'd be complaining to Fords too. Perhaps they might give you a new car, have you suggested that to them?

Edited by Galaxy on 20/02/2019 at 18:23

It is beginning to feel a bit irritating. The holiday period while not ideal is just the way it worked out , so we're talking six weeks from when they had repair authorisation.

Ironically the insurance does say they will give a new car, same spec if 1: Car is less than a year old and 2: Repair costs more than half the value of vehicle. No clue what the costs are so far, but the courtesy car must be racking the bill up!

Ford Fiesta - Insurance repair - reasonable time? - Leif
If the courtesy car is a demonstrator, then it’s probably zero extra cost, just something the garage provides while doing work. You make saints look impatient.

Not sure its a demonstrator, just a bog standard Ka+

Can only hope that it's not too much longer - will update when

I've spoken to them again