Toyota Avensis - DIY service looking for advice - Ebob

I am thinking of servicing my 2008 1.8 vvti Avensis myself this year, has 110k on the clock.

Apart from oil change, air filter, spark plugs what other checks and lubrication are required?

I will adjust the handbrake, the coolant isn't that old so will leave that, might change the gearbox oil and cabin filter.

Are all the suspension components etc. checked during the MOT? Is there anything like that not covered which needs checking?

What about lubrication apart from door hinges and bonnet catch is there anything that? which needs doing, do I need to remove rubber boots/gaiter and grease any ball joints CV joint etc? Steering rack need greasing?

Thanks

Toyota Avensis - DIY service looking for advice - skidpan

Usually there is a list of specific requirements in the handbook/dervice book but there is no harm going over the top when your are doing it DIY.

Perhaps a Haynes manual would help.

Toyota Avensis - DIY service looking for advice - gordonbennet

Brakes mainly, Toyota used to (and may still be the case) strip clean and lube the brakes at every major service (around 20k), so every other year basically, so...pads out exercise the pistons to make sure they move freely, check the dust boots for deterioration, clean everything up and lube the sliding mechanism with the correct brake grease, don't forget to lube the handbrake cable and fittings, check flexible hoses for perishing and coat any exposed brake pipes with something like Castrol CL waterproof grease...up to you to decide if the brake fluid needs replacing.

Check drive shaft boots for splits and perishing, it is possible to regrease the joints but i'm one of the only people i know who does this.

Check auxilliary drive belt(s) carefully.

Whilst the car is jacked up spin the wheels and listen carefully for any odd sounds from the bearings, and check the various ball joints and suspension pivots.

Worth lubing the bonnet release cable/catch on any car, i also squirt a small amount of liquid grease into the keylocks, don't forget to lube sunroof if you have one.

Toyota Avensis - DIY service looking for advice - Ebob

Thanks for the input

Cant find a Haynes for the Avensis but I'll get the Corolla one.