What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insuring a CAT N car - Nobby Clark

Hi all.

I would appreciate your help and advice please.

With the help of SLO and others, at the very end of October bought a lovely 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Executive auto with 52k miles and full Honda history.

Unfortunately yesterday a lady backed into me causing light damage to the front bumper and to the drivers wing.

The other driver has accepted liability and her insurance company are going to write my car off as a CAT N which means light non structural damage.

I've been offered more than I paid for the car plus I can buy it off of the insurance company for £185.00! :)

I Could get my car repaired fairly cheaply but my question is, does anyone here have or had a CAT N car and had problems insuring the car again or had a huge premium increase?

Thanks everyone,

Nobby

Insuring a CAT N car - Galaxy

Yes, I remember that car! I'm very sorry to hear it has now been involved in an accident, you haven't been very lucky, I'm afraid.

Cat N is what used to be the old Cat D, I think. I've put a couple of Cat D's back on the road, over the years, and the only thing the insurance companies wanted was a new MOT after the repairs had been carried out, even if there was still a current one in place. I'm not aware of any increase in insurance premiums but this is something you'd be best to check with your own company.

The only way I can see you could lose out is that, in future, your car will always be a Cat N. If it was subject to a total loss insurance claim then you would be paid out less than you would had it not been Cat N. Also, if you ever wish to sell the car then you should be prepared for it to sell for less. Mind you, if you say the Insurance company are willing to pay you more than what you originally paid for the car then I can't really see you being that bothered!

If I were you I would certainly buy the car back from the insurance company, repair it or get it repaired and then put it back on the road.

I really do wish you the very best of luck!

Edited by Galaxy on 09/11/2018 at 18:22

Insuring a CAT N car - Andrew-T

Pretty much what happened to my 9-year-old car a couple of years ago. Third party admitted liability and their insurers offered to write off my car after seeing photos of the damage and an estimate of repair cost. Their offer amounted to the cost of buying an 'identical' car at market price. I chose to have it put together again (bodywork only, no structural damage) and was offered 65% of the earlier offer, not much less than the cost of repair.

After informing my own insurers, no further problems arose. Car still running fine, premiums much the same. Your only problem may come with resale, as the blemish on the record is not easily hidden, but as the value is small that may not matter.

Insuring a CAT N car - Avant

I agree - if it's a good one, get it repaired and back on the road. Any difference in resale value on a 2003 car is going to be minimal.

Insuring a CAT N car - SLO76
Depending on how cheaply you can have it properly repaired you may even win out this. Should be no issues insuring it again, I’ve flogged a few economic write-offs in the past. It’s amazing how little it takes to make an older car an uneconomic repair. Often as little as a scuffed bumper.

Hi all and thank you for your replies.

I made a mistake in my original post.....what I meant to say was that I paid £285 to keep my Accord!! :)

I've been to see my local bodywork /paint sprayers today, who friends and members of my family have used before, and they do a lovely job.

Theyve quoted me £280 to do the repairs that wrote my car off!

So I've booked the car in for December and after being paid out for the car, then paying the £285 to keep it, then paying £280 for the repairs, I'll have £1330 left!! :)

It's a win for me then!! And I get to keep my lovely Accord :)

Thanks again peepsl

Insuring a CAT N car - elekie&a/c doctor

You may find that the insurance will request a new mot ,before they will re-insure the car.

You may find that the insurance will request a new mot ,before they will re-insure the car.

Mine didn't.

So I've booked the car in for December and after being paid out for the car, then paying the £285 to keep it, then paying £280 for the repairs, I'll have £1330 left!! :)

You seem to have found a way to make bangernomics usefully profitable. Buy car for a grand, have a trivial 'accident', get car written off (as it almost certainly will be), receive payout, then buy car back for peanuts. How many times a year could you manage that?

You seem to have found a way to make bangernomics usefully profitable. Buy car for a grand, have a trivial 'accident', get car written off (as it almost certainly will be), receive payout, then buy car back for peanuts. How many times a year could you manage that?

I'm not sure but since it happened, many people have said "you jammy little wotsit" or words to that effect anyway!! :)

The whole money thing aside, I am loving "bangernomics" and I still cannot believe how much car, in nice condition you can get for no money!

<< I'm not sure but since it happened, many people have said "you jammy little wotsit" or words to that effect anyway!! :) >>

On the principle that no-one gets anything for nothing in the insurance game, perhaps your third party is footing the bill in the shape of increased premium?

<< I'm not sure but since it happened, many people have said "you jammy little wotsit" or words to that effect anyway!! :) >>

On the principle that no-one gets anything for nothing in the insurance game, perhaps your third party is footing the bill in the shape of increased premium?

I would assume so!