What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Mark 7 (2003) petrol - Front suspension knocking noise - albapa

This Honda Civic 2003 makes knocking noises when the road is uneven or when going over potholes. Bottom balljoints (huge play), lower arm bushes (halfway torn), drop links (boot torn) have been replaced, but the noise persist. Tie rod ends don't seem loose (although one has the boot torn). Could it be the strut mount? Thanks in advance.

Honda Civic Mark 7 (2003) petrol - Front suspension knocking noise - SLO76
Common problem on this model of Civic is a knackered steering rack which usually announces itself with an annoying rattle from the front which sounds like a worn anti-roll bar bush. It’ll also possibly feel a bit sticky on the straight ahead which will force you to make loads of minor corrections to keep it straight. We had one that did this for years without really deteriorating any further, I found it annoying but the wife was quite happy with it. Every year the Mot tester noted he could detect a noise but couldn’t find play in any suspension components.
Honda Civic Mark 7 (2003) petrol - Front suspension knocking noise - albapa

Thanks for the tip! Just checked and if someone turns the steering wheel back and forth I can hear a knocking noise from the rack where the inner tie rods are connected and I can feel the knocking, too! Annoying.