What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

Driving through a busy, urban part of Edinburgh (Leith) on Friday past, slowing down as the traffic in front of me was doing the same (probably about 5mph) when a car went into the back of me. When I got out it became apparent that the impact had shunted me forward into the car in front which in turn had hit the car in front of it (so 4 cars involved)

I swapped details with the driver of the car which hit me and also of the car I was shunted into (the final car in the foresome wasn't fussed, it was a hire car and hadn't sustained damage and they were Australian!)

I then contacted my insurance company Admiral when I get home who strongly suggested that as it wasn't my fault the best way forward was to pass me onto the claim management company Auxillis which they use who would sort out repairs and hire car (don't worry I know they will try to max out the hire car claim but my car is perfectly driveable so I will only need it whilst the repairs are being carried out).

Why I'm posting is earlier this evening I was phoned by the chap who owns the car who I was shunted into (the car in front of me) who told me that his wife who was driving has whiplash and was going through an injury lawer (she did genuinely have a sore neck immediately after the accident, me and my wife are actually fine so we're not doing the same). He recognises that it was all ultimately the fault of the woman who drove into the back of me but he hadn't taken her details. What I don't want is to have to field calls from him again (he was perfectly reasonable and didn't really seem to know why he was phoning me) and especially (God forbid) some firm of ambulance chasers! I take it I just phone Admiral tomorrow and let them deal with it.

Any advice or reassurance would be very welcome

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - RobJP

As you've already suggested, you phone your insurance company and let them deal with it.

He may have just wanted to call you as a matter of courtesy.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - lucklesspedestrian

Thanks

Sorry, didn't realise there was a separate forum for this sort of thing, mods feel free to move.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - Avant

No worries - it could be in either Motoring or Legal so it's fine where it is.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - barney100

Same thing happened to my wife, shunted into the car in front. There was a some delay while it was sorted but in the end the guy who hit her car was deemed at fault and his insurance paid up. pays to leave a decent gap with the car in front in queues!

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - Cris_on_the_gas

Same thing happened to my wife, shunted into the car in front. There was a some delay while it was sorted but in the end the guy who hit her car was deemed at fault and his insurance paid up. pays to leave a decent gap with the car in front in queues!

Spot on Barney.

A good way to remember is Road & Rubber or Tyres and Tarmac. you should be able to see both when stopped behind another vehicle.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - bathtub tom

Road & Rubber or Tyres and Tarmac.

I was told that by a police advanced driver, but only because it allowed you to drive round them if they stalled - perhaps he may have had more urgency than me!

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - KB.

I too read the same sort of thing... about being able to drive round it if it stalled or (more likely) broke down - but it was also mentioned that if high level brake lights were dazzling you at night (because the inconsiderate so-and-so kept their foot on the brake) then it suggested you were too close to the car in front.

I suppose there's a bit of truth in the latter - but it still amazes me that almost every car in a queue displays brake lights, for whatever reason. I realise there may be some sort of justification in certain circumstances, but I still say it's the vast majority that can't be bothered to go handbrake - neutral" ... I mean to say, it's darned hard work keep pulling that handbrake up innit?

And while I'm in a complaining frame of mind ...what about the (majority again) people who don't press the handbrake button in when applying the handbrake?

OK, I concede that no-one does the latter (clicking the handbrake ratchet) very much any more coz they never use the blessed handbrake any more.

And I'm going upstairs for a shave and a shower now so you can all rant and rave at me .... and I won't see any of it :-)

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - badbusdriver

"I suppose there's a bit of truth in the latter - but it still amazes me that almost every car in a queue displays brake lights, for whatever reason. I realise there may be some sort of justification in certain circumstances, but I still say it's the vast majority that can't be bothered to go handbrake - neutral" ... I mean to say, it's darned hard work keep pulling that handbrake up innit?"

Bear in mind, however irritating this is, the drivers in question may well actually be doing their bit for pollution levels!. Our Honda Jazz auto has a stop-start facility, but it only works when in drive, stationary, and with your foot on the brake pedal. If you slip it in neutral (which i tend to do if i know i'm going to be stopped for more than 30 seconds or so) the engine starts up again. I'm not saying this is a good idea, and it certainly irritates me if i'm behind someone in stationary traffic and the brake lights are on, especially in low daylight conditions, but there you go!.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - KB.

Ah, right you are ... I sort of knew that there was some sort of reasoning attached to the practice (or is that practise? ... I can never work it out) but couldn't remember what it was. At least now I can forgive them and assume they all have stop/start and not simply too inconsiderate to apply the handbrake.

However, that still doesn't cover the question of sitting in traffic with no handbrake on - and being shunted up the rear and surging forward into the bloke in front due to the impact causing your foot to come off the pedal.

Oh well, there ain't no pleasin' me.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - Avant

Just in case you're interested, KB, you were right: practice is the noun, practise is the verb. It's the same with licence and license.

A way to remember it is alphabetically: c comes before s and n for noun comes before v for verb.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - FP

"... practice is the noun, practise is the verb. It's the same with licence and license."

Indeed, but, with the influence American English has, confusion arises when you learn that across the Pond they have only one form for both grammatical functions: practise and license, so "licence" and "practice" do not exist as correct spellings.

"Prophecy" versus "prophesy" is an interesting case. The distinction between the two in British English is the same as for the words discussed above. However, in American English, though traditionally the same distinction is maintained, "prophesy" is fast becoming the single form used, which makes sense, I suppose.

"Garner's Modern American Usage notes that prophesy for prophecy is at stage 3 of language change: it's common even among educated speakers and writers." (www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/prophe.../)

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - NARU
... it still amazes me that almost every car in a queue displays brake lights...

Don't assume its always malicious or careless. My car has an 'autohold' function. When I stop, it keeps the footbrake on automatically and cuts the engine until I'm ready to move away. Unfortunately the brakelights stay on.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - gordonbennet

It does more harm (so we are told) to keep taking a TC auto out of D and the then reselecting D for the typical traffic light change duration, than leaving it simply in D.

As for neutral and parking brake, the standard parking brake acting on the rear wheels won't take much of a shunt to shift it into the car in front, similarly there could be extreme damage to the transmission of an auto with P facility of P were selected and only the handbrake applied in the event of shunt from the rear.

So, sorry if my brake lights annoy at the typical traffic light stop, but no one has to look directly into them, and its not as if they are the eye destroying mllions of lumens brake lights as found in Mercs and similar, ironically so safe are they that they completely blind the driver behind so a rear shunt is actually more likely because a following driver cannot possibly see past the lights in question so a split second decision depending on what has caused this application of the brake pedal (no braking actually needed) is out.

VW Golf - Involved in an accident advice welcome! - Cris_on_the_gas

It does more harm (so we are told) to keep taking a TC auto out of D and the then reselecting D for the typical traffic light change duration, than leaving it simply in D.

As for neutral and parking brake, the standard parking brake acting on the rear wheels won't take much of a shunt to shift it into the car in front, similarly there could be extreme damage to the transmission of an auto with P facility of P were selected and only the handbrake applied in the event of shunt from the rear.

So, sorry if my brake lights annoy at the typical traffic light stop, but no one has to look directly into them, and its not as if they are the eye destroying mllions of lumens brake lights as found in Mercs and similar, ironically so safe are they that they completely blind the driver behind so a rear shunt is actually more likely because a following driver cannot possibly see past the lights in question so a split second decision depending on what has caused this application of the brake pedal (no braking actually needed) is out.

HC Rule 114: In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.