What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cadillac innovations - badbusdriver

Been reading the July issue of Classic American magazine and there is a Cadillac theme running through it. One article details some of the features/inventions/innovations which were debuted on Cadillacs throughout the company. Some remarkable stuff (for the time), including things which decades later, are only just starting to become common on run of the mill cars.

1908, The 'Dewar trophy'. Cadillac founder Henry M Leyland started off making muskets during the American Civil War. He found that by machining every part to an identical standard, quality could be guaranteed and assembly would be quicker. He took this philosophy to car manufacture. So in 1908, three 10hp Cadillac's were shipped to England, and brought to the Brooklands circuit. There they were disassembled, the parts mixed up and the cars then rebuilt before setting off on (successful) a 500 mile trial. For this, the RAC awarded its Dewar trophy, an award given to 'Outstanding technical achievement'.

1912, Delco electric lighting and starting. The starting aspect of this has something of a tragic back story, as a friend of Leyland died through complications of a broken jaw caused by a kickback from a starting handle. This led to Leyland pushing for an alternative and safer means of starting a car.

1929, Syncromesh gears. Sometime in the mid 20's a man called Earl A Thompson turned up at Cadillac HQ in Detroit having driven from Oregon with his brother, a dealer, in a Cadillac which he had fitted with synchronised manual gears of his own design. Cadillac's chief engineer was sufficiently intrigued to take him on, and after 1.5 million test miles, the 1929 Cadillac's debuted with the system.

1930, First production V16 engine.

1941, Fully automatic transmission. Though this actually debuted on an Oldsmobile the year before, it was a Cadillac employee (Earl A Thompson, again) who developed it.

1952, The 'Autronic eye'. This was a device which detected the headlights of oncoming vehicles and dipped the headlights.

1957, Air suspension. Although it has to be said, this option was dropped after four years.

1959, Soft close trunk (boot). Similar to the technology Mercedes was crowing about more than three decades later on the then new W140 S-Class.

1960, 'Twilight sentinal'. This took the 'Autronic eye' to the next stage by detecting when it was starting to get dark and switching on the headlights.

1964, Climate control. Long before it started to become common on European luxury cars, Cadillac came up with the first system. Tested in use from -28F in northern Canada to +90F in Texas and Florida, it had to maintain the interior temperature to within three degrees of the thermostat setting.

It is very easy for us on this side of the pond to scoff at US cars, thinking them all to be too big, and about as sophisticated as a knife and fork. But back in the day, in terms of luxury, sophistication and innovation, Cadillac was easily as good as, and in some ways better, than anything European.

By way of an explanation, while i make no secret of my love of small cars, i also (slightly embarrassingly, because of why i love small cars) have a love of many big old American barges. Maybe this makes me a hypocrite?.

Hey ho!

Cadillac innovations - Avant

All interesting and nothing hypocritical, BBD. You could own, say, a Bentley and a VW Up and enjoy driving both.

Cadillac innovations - SteveLee

Not to mention the first manufacturer of a car with the now ubiquitous clutch/brake/accelerator pedal layout.

Cadillac innovations - oldroverboy.

AN excellent interesting selection to read.

many Thanks.

orb

Cadillac innovations - drd63
Thanks BBD, I think we in Europe do tend to view US manufacturers as a bit unsophisticated but as your article makes clear there has been a lot of innovation too. US domestic manufacturers tend to build for their own market first. What US buyers want isn’t always what we in Europe consider to be important. That said in much the same way as our own domestic car industry, they have been woefully slow to adapt and change, although without the same disastrous consequences but perhaps only because they didn’t have a government foisting nationalisation on them.
Cadillac innovations - jc2

In the past,I owned a 1938 Hudson112 convertible-I thought it nothing special till I read on the web that only three convertibles had ever been built-I'd sold it many years previously.One of the three was used as the start car at the 1938 Indy 500.The logbook showed the original owner as a titled lady in Essex.

Cadillac innovations - ralph278

"1908, The 'Dewar trophy'. Cadillac founder Henry M Leyland started off making muskets during the American Civil War. He found that by machining every part to an identical standard, quality could be guaranteed and assembly would be quicker. He took this philosophy to car manufacture. So in 1908, three 10hp Cadillac's were shipped to England, and brought to the Brooklands circuit. There they were disassembled, the parts mixed up and the cars then rebuilt before setting off on (successful) a 500 mile trial. For this, the RAC awarded its Dewar trophy, an award given to 'Outstanding technical achievement'."

Indeed, a fine achievement

Standardisation of the dimensions of parts had been developing over a long period

www.engineering-timelines.com/scripts/engineeringI...3

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_a***nal

www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/t...m

Cadillac innovations - John F

badbusdriver - if you really want an American car 'fix' it would be hard to beat the annual ''LeadEast' rally which I used to visit when we stayed with our son in New Jersey.....

parsippanyfocus.com/2016/09/01/34th-annual-lead-ea.../

.....hundreds of cherished examples of the most interesting and outrageous examples of US cars of the 40s - 60s - plus a fascinating collection of custom cars - wealthy owners would think nothing of a five figure sum just for the paint job! Trailered from all over the place to the Hilton's vast car park near Morristown.

Cadillac innovations - craig-pd130

Here's a period road test from Autocar of a 1964 Coupe de Ville, the last year that Cadillacs had fins (although they had pretty much disappeared into the wing by this point).

www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/sets/721576.../

The article points out that the car came equipped as standard with many luxuries that couldn't be had at any price on European equivalents, and that even after import duties, etc, it was still much cheaper than contemporary Rolls and Bentleys.

Cadillac innovations - gordonbennet

I've never quite understood the sheer snobbery from some people against American cars, the two i owned over the years were fast and fun and sounded wondrous (if you're going to have one it ought to have a proper engine), and parts from the various new parts importers were stupidly cheap.

They were basically soundly engineered to go on for years, the older ones couldn't cope with British weather but then neither could home or european or Japanese produced cars of the same period either, they all rotted away.

I'd gladly have another, if it upset the badge snobs so much the better.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/08/2018 at 23:22

Cadillac innovations - mss1tw

Here's a period road test from Autocar of a 1964 Coupe de Ville, the last year that Cadillacs had fins (although they had pretty much disappeared into the wing by this point).

The article points out that the car came equipped as standard with many luxuries that couldn't be had at any price on European equivalents, and that even after import duties, etc, it was still much cheaper than contemporary Rolls and Bentleys.

Great read - shows what car mags have lost

Cadillac innovations - badbusdriver

Thanks so much for that craig, loved reading It!.

Yet more gadgets and featured cropped up, such as being able to set the headlights to stay on for a while after you leave the car so you can get your key in the front door of the house (or whatever), the wipers coming on automatically when you activate the washers (something we take for granted now), the parking brake releasing itself when you engage a gear, the fact that when you stopped at a kerb, (depending on which side indicator you'd used) an extra light would come on at that side to illuminate the kerb, the red lights in the door edges which would show passing vehicles that the door was open. I'm assuming the 'constant speed governer' is cruise control but described in a very 'British' fashion!.

Great stuff, and yes mss1tw, much preferable style of motoring journalism than now!

Edited by badbusdriver on 19/08/2018 at 12:03

Cadillac innovations - craig-pd130

It's interesting to compare the Caddy with the contemporary Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III, which had been recently upgraded with the Rolls V8 engine. The Cadillac cost £3,700 inc purchase tax (about £74,000 today), whereas the Rolls was 50% more expensive at £5,500 (£110,000).

Period test of the Rolls here: www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/sets/721576.../

The Best Car in the World versus The Standard of the World: wouldn't it be nice to have one of each in the garage?