Rover 414 1.4 1994 - Possible head gasket - KCSRenault

Hello,

My girlfriend has been driving her grandparents rover 414 for a few months now, she has only done 2,000 miles since she got it. However when i went to top up her screen wash, and other fluids. I noticed some oil in the coolant tank. However the oil level has not moved since she got the car from her grandparents.

The car does not over heat or leak anywhere, that i can see and even in this heatwave the temperature guage does not move above halfway.

Is this the start of a headgasket failure? Before she got the car it had a new radiator, and cooling pipes, water pump and thermostat.

However the coolant tank was always a bit murky due to a headgasket failure some time back in the 1990s at around 30,000 miles. The car has now done 62,000 miles.

the only other thing i have noticed is, that apart from some oil floating in the coolant, the expansion tank is now much cleaner looking, you can actually see the coolant in the tank now.

Is it possible this is left over residue from previous HG that has now shifted due to the car actually being used, or the being of the end?

Car has done 200 miles since i checked and still no reduction in level of oil, always been at max?

Edited by KCSRenault on 07/07/2018 at 19:55

Rover 414 1.4 1994 - Possible head gasket - elekie&a/c doctor

With no coolant loss or overheating,it is very likely to be residue from a pervious repair. We used to put a non-bio washing tablet in the coolant and let it circulate before flushing the system.

Rover 414 1.4 1994 - Possible head gasket - KCSRenault

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. unforutnately the car overheated rapidly the other whilst driving and stopped straight away. To lift the bonnet and be met with a volcano of brown muck coming out of the expansion tank.

So car went off to scrapy yard, the car had severed her grandparents well and they did not want to spend anymore money on it and would rather get rid of it.

Another k series bits the dust.