What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
LPG - why is it still so niche? - Sulphur Man

Every fortnight I fill my tank with diesel. And I glance up at the big neon Shell price indicator over the station which says 'Autogas' 62.9p

And I glance back,actually stare disconsolately, at the price clocking up on my pump.

This LPG stuff has been cheap and available for what, two decades now. If I go into Ford, VW, Honda, wherever, no one can sell me a new LPG car. Only Mazda offer LPG as a fitted, warrantied option on the 3 and the 6.

So one has to source a suitable used vehicle, and get it converted. In essence straightforward, but hardly convenient.

In summary:

Manufacturers are struggling to sell cars in volume.

The cost of petrol and diesel is painful. LPG costs half as much

LPG is more environmentally friendly - will help manufacturers lower their emissions targets and slow urban pollution.

There's 1400 LPG stations in the UK - concentrated on more populous areas - so not hard to find.

LPG Fuel economy is 20% less than petrol equivalent, but it costs 50% less to begin with.

So why oh why are LPG vehicles so unloved?

LPG - why is it still so niche? - alan1302

If they did get more popular the governement would just increase the tax on it so it would no longer be cheaper.

And it's not pushed a a good replacement as it's still a fossil fuel and the world needs to get away from using fossil fuels as a main fuel to no one will push it hard to the consumer.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Bromptonaut

Few if any manufacturers offer LPG as factory option for cars (as opposed to commecials) in UK so conversion is a big cost. Tank takes up space. LPG is banned in some places including the Channel Tunnel.

Biggest users are probably urban and that's market where electric or hybrid scores best.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - corax

It's a big commitment in cost to get your car converted plus the inconvenience of the fuel tank as mentioned above.

You would have to be doing a fair mileage in a thirsty car to recoup the costs (but with a big petrol engine you are still paying high road tax), and keep the car for some time. The time people seem to keep their car nowadays is getting shorter, so there isn't much incentive.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - gordonbennet

We've had 3 cars converted so far, the last one literally a month ago.

If anything its got more niche, as due to falling demand for conversions many fitting centres have closed down, in many ways that suits us because with such small sales the govt isn't losing much tax so hopefully they'll leave it alone, very nice filling up at Morrisons Wisbech Monday evening on the way back from the beach @ 57.9 ppl...we won't ever be filling up at BP near the Black Cat roundabout who laughingly want 72.9 ppl, cheaper at the BP Toddington MSA.

The reasons as i see it for the less conversions are...

So many cars now on long term rent via various payment schemes and the renter not allowed to do anything like this even if they wanted. More cars getting direct injection which is a real headache for converters, most of whom wont go near them. Lack of suitable spare wheel wells to site the gas tank. Getting a conversion means you intend to keep the car for a long time, keeping it well maintained for a long life, that alone seems beyond many. Having to plan where to buy fuel. Kissing goodbye to between £1500 and £2000 for the conversion where many would see that as a large portion of cost to change funds for their next new car.

The maker's supposed conversions weren't, they were done by sub contractors and invariably didn't have flashlube valve saver systems fitted, so tended to suffer valve seat recession, and in The Mitsi's case the converter went bust and used some system no one else could program or get parts for, i'd much rather a good quality conversion by an installer of my own choice.

The most recent conversion is SWMBO Subaru Forester 2.5 XT, when i filled up at Wisbech a quick mileage check showed 20mpg on gas, that was a fastish run both ways (making use of the rapid yet safe overtaking the car allows) with us two plus the usual stuff you take and three dogs, fortunately no longer wet after sploshing around in the sea at Brancaster Beach.

Oh and Saga were quite happy about the latest (registered) conversion, and no charge levied.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/06/2018 at 19:28

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Big John

There used to be Government grants to convert cars but back in the early 2000's they ditched these saying diesel was the way to go (low CO2). At about this time I bought my 2001 Octavia petrol instead of a diesel thinking of a conversion. I didn't bother as the grant vanished and it was much more economical that I thought it would be.

This is not the case is some other European countries that still embrace LPG

Edited by Big John on 16/06/2018 at 00:57

LPG - why is it still so niche? - peter shirley

the trick is to each time you fill up work out how much you would

have saved if you used the lpg pump. Add up at the end of the year and see if its worth it. only the amount you save will show if its worth it. My car cost £1800 to convert and in 2 years saved over £3000 . well worth it.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - John F

My car cost £1800 to convert and in 2 years saved over £3000 . well worth it.

Must be doing a huge mileage to save this much. As an exercise, I assume LPG costs just over half petrol/diesel price, and apparently does approx 25% fewer mpg. So, with LPG costing £2-70 per gallon and p/d £5-20 per gallon, returning 30mpg and 40mpg respectively, you need 400 gallons of LPG and 300 gallons of p/d to do 12,000 miles, a saving of around £500, give or take 10%.

Clearly LPG aficionados will massage the figures to favour their choice, but I have no preference and have tried to be as objective as possible.

LPG currently £2.53 per gallon where we buy it, and it can be found for less than that.

The difference in consumption isn't as vast as stated, maybe 1 to 3mpg difference on cars that do low to mid twenties mpg, but that may be me massaging the figures so everyone else gets an lpg conversion so the govt can double the tax on it.

I feel like an outcast now (coo i'm in a minority, wonder if there's a £case worth pursuing here), is this similar to what early Toyota hybrid owners went through, being told their car choice and reasons for buying were all wrong and their battery packs would expire three weeks out of warranty and cost upwards of £5000 to replace.

::-)))) note the smilies

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/04/2019 at 20:34

LPG - why is it still so niche? - expat

I have been using LPG for twelve years now and my 4lt barge costs about the same to run as a little hatchback while being much more comfortable. I reckon I have saved many thousands over that period as I have now put 140,000km on it since converting. Of course it also has the feel good factor of being better for the environment than petrol or diesel. It certainly is not down on power and as for fuel consumption - who cares at that sort of price.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Andrew-T

I have been using LPG for twelve years now and my 4lt barge costs about the same to run as a little hatchback while being much more comfortable. I reckon I have saved many thousands over that period as I have now put 140,000km on it since converting. Of course it also has the feel good factor of being better for the environment than petrol or diesel. It certainly is not down on power and as for fuel consumption - who cares at that sort of price.

The decision parameters seem to be three : (1) minimise fossil fuel consumption; (2) minimise output of pollution ; (3) minimise cost per mile travelled.

LPG appears to lose on 1, but win on 2 and 3 if you can make a case for converting your car. Sadly for the planet, most people usually do all their sums on (3) only, as it is much easier.

Round here many of the Arriva buses run on LPG (or CNG?) , and I guess the accountants are happy with that - certainly the buses make no smoke as far as I can tell.

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/04/2019 at 13:15

LPG - why is it still so niche? - paul 1963

I thought Volvo sold duel fuel cars?

LPG - why is it still so niche? - focussed

When I had a business our once-a -year accountant drove around in a V8 Discovery.

We queried how was this a suitable vehicle etc etc. He admitted that the vehicle was running on lpg pumped from his domestic lpg tank. That's about half the price of lpg at a garage.

I couldn't possibly advise anybody to do this though, as it is illegal, dangerous and many other things as well!

LPG - why is it still so niche? - focussed

There are quite a few lpg converted cars available new over here in France.

https://www.gaz-mobilite.fr/voiture-gpl/

Also some able to run on cng (compressed natural gas)

https://www.gaz-mobilite.fr/voiture-gnv/

And trucks too:-

Brittany Ferries is having a new ship, the Honfleur, built in Germany fuelled by cng, it was supposed to be in service this year but has been delayed (The german shipyard went bust!)

Having linked to all this, our local supermarket fuel station has an LPG pump, but I have never yet seen any vehicle actually use it!

If France brings in more strict emission curbs in the future like the Crit-Air sticker system on steroids for driving in cities we might have to consider changing to an LPG or CNG fuelled car.

Or we could just stay away from cities like we do at the moment!

Edited by focussed on 21/04/2019 at 11:02

LPG - why is it still so niche? - edlithgow

Also some able to run on cng (compressed natural gas)

Someone described doing that DIY-stylee off his UK domestic gas supply over on the (now defunct) Bangernomics Forum.

You need a pretty hefty compressor so the capital cost is not buttons, but he claimed the running costs were VERY low.

Dunno if its legal and if I was doing it I wouldn't feel very motivated to find out.

Well, they make sense.

So they fundamentally conflict with long-established government policy guidelines in this area.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - skidpan

Garage near us sells LPG at about £0.69 a litre.

Tesco sells petrol at £1.179 a litre.

Assuming 20% less mpg if we converted both cars and used only gas on local trips our annual saving would be about £400 a year.

How many years would the conversion cost for 2 cars take to recover I wonder.

And whilst the Superb has a huge boot fitting a gas tank to the Fabia would probably mean loosing the spare wheel well so where would we carry the essential (IMHO) spare tyre and tools?

Its a total non starter which is why its never become popular.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - CHarkin

I did a similar calculation but came at it from a different angle. Using the calorific value of each fuel a litre of diesel has 12.5% more energy in it than a Litre of unleaded and LPG has around 21% less. Everything else being equal its the lpg followed by diesel that gives you the most for your money. Applying this to my personal situation I came to the same conclusion as skidpan, with my low mileage the saving is around £300 a year and thats not taking into account the extra miles I would have to drive to fill up.

So to me you need to be a fairly high mile user and live in an area well served with LPG pumps before the savings are attractive. You are also at the whim of very unpredictable government legislation.

Edited by CHarkin on 23/04/2019 at 11:23

When I said they make sense, I meant they made environmental and technical sense.

The economics are whatever the government say they are, since they are detemined by fiscal policy.

So the economics probably don't make sense.

Tits-on-a-bull-technology a la dieselle moderne, OTOH....

LPG - why is it still so niche? - daveyjp

With demonisation of diesel occurring faster than availability of affordable electric vehicles it may make sense for manufacturers to go back to it as an option on petrol vehicles.

P&Os new cruise ship - Iona - will also be LNG powered - also due to upcoming restrictions on diesel ships, particularly in Norway.

With demonisation of diesel occurring faster than availability of affordable electric vehicles it may make sense for manufacturers to go back to it as an option on petrol vehicles.

And/or on diesel vehicles. There are reportedly (and intuitively) significant advantages in running LPG/CNG in combination with diesel.

With a bit of tweeking it seems likely this could be a big help with the TOAB DPF systems too.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Sandeep Patel

Love my LPG Converted 2004 CRV. Had it converted 2008 and knew I would be keeping it pass 2020 and beyond.

People forget, You notice the savings at pump immediately, when most people have to see those £1.20+ p/l charge compared to 55.9p at Sainsbury Watford. This is why I converted and why I love filling up every time. The smile and cost of immediate savings is welcome. I mean on a 60L fill up £90+ p/d compared to £34 LPG really does make you feel good and also chips away at the cost of installation. Mine was paid back in 4 years.

Valve saver fluid and a dodgy fuel gauge doesn't bother me much, but weariness of the coils are something I keep an eye on now as mine got shot after 10 years ans used replacements were only £20 and gave me a 40% increase in Power again (never knew this about coils so feel the car is rejuvenated. I had a shuddering engine, heavy vibration, infrequent stalling at roundabouts/ junctions and low power. No garage could figure it out and blamed LPG but had same issue on Petrol until LPG websites told me COILS COILS COIL. As I said mine were shot after 10 years and only 80k miles from 18K conversion in 2008.

Prins was my conversion and is the Rolls Royce of LPG systems and was worth the extra expense as its been problem free ever since. Even Prins say LPG is not good for Hondas and a whole list of cars due to mild steel valves, hence the need to ensure valve saver fluid drips at 1 every 6 seconds rather than 12, and no Oxy sensors are not affected.

I only do local driving with M/Way trips once or twice a month.

Overall I consider myself lucky with the LPG conversion and I am blessed to have a CRV with the economy of a Nissan Micra.

Edited by Sandeep Patel on 18/01/2020 at 18:35

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Ethan Edwards

I've run three vehicles with LPG. Theoretically there are four or five Garages selling Lpg on my usual route to work. However it always seemed a lot of them had issues all the time. The pumps broke, we've run out etc. That was one reason I gave it up. Seconds I was unlucky enough to get Valve seat recession on two of the vehicles. Necessitating some head work. Great in theory but a bit of a pain in general day to day. I guess if I'd had a bigger tank in the boot rather than a toroidal and a better flash lube system maybe I'd still be using it. I agree it's a damn shame it's not much more popular . Good way to run a big engine cheaply. Sadly you still get caned by HMRC for vehicle tax despite being greener. That and dont forget you also have to have the system annually serviced. Replace the tank every something years though I didn't. Oh and I seem to recall it's a good idea to fit iridium plugs Not Platinum as lpg eats it...Hope that helps.

Sadly you still get caned by HMRC for vehicle tax despite being greener. That and dont forget you also have to have the system annually serviced. Replace the tank every something years though I didn't.

Add to that places LPG vehicles cannot go, including the Channel Tunnel.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - Terry W

If it were not niche it would likely be taxed at levels similar to petrol and diesel - manufacturers know this and I assume do not generally want the hassle of engineering an emissions compliant reliable solution for no real benefit.

Assuming the above is the case, most people would not contemplate an LPG conversion to a vehicle that was still in the warranty period as it would probably be invalidated.

Therefore most conversions will happen on cars 3+ years old. Typical conversion costs of around £2k would be a significant add-on cost of vehicle acquisition.

It may make sense for a large uneconomical vehicle if you plan to keep it for 3-5+ years and do a higher mileage - otherwise:

• servicing could be a hassle
  • lingering doubt over impact on engine reliability
  • may not be able to integrate with existing vehicle electronic systems
  • may lower resale value as perceived as unquantifiable risk
  • fewer refuelling points
  • fewer refuelling points

My only exposure to issues around LPG is via accounts/anecdotes from caravan owners who use refillable cylinders rather than those from Calor or AN other supplier. Aside from forecourt staff ignorance of refillable cylinders and 'showdowns' over use of pumps the other consistent line has been fewer sites having LPG.

Come to think of it a Facebook acquaintance runs at least one LPG car and complained recently that his local Morrisons had stopped selling LPG.

LPG - why is it still so niche? - thunderbird

A contractor friend of mine bought a new Transit from a Ford dealer converted to run on LPG thus I can only suggest it was either factory fitted of a factory approved dealer fit system.

Over the 3 years he ran it he became convinced diesel was still a better option for him despite the cheaper fuel, in fact every Transit he has bought since has been a diesel.

But the main problem was the air filter box. At regular intervals the lid simply blew off despite being securely fixed and it was after all the standard Ford airbox. The dealers solution was simple, to prevent it blowing off they put a number of tie wraps (zip ties) round the air box and it never happened again. Not very reassuring when they never cured it other than with a bodge.

Good, more negatives please, keeping it niche is fine by me.:-)

LPG - why is it still so niche? - expat
But the main problem was the air filter box. At regular intervals the lid simply blew off despite being securely fixed and it was after all the standard Ford airbox. The dealers solution was simple, to prevent it blowing off they put a number of tie wraps (zip ties) round the air box and it never happened again. Not very reassuring when they never cured it other than with a bodge.

The old mixer systems used to do that. The newer vapour injected or liquid injected systems do not. Zip ties on the airbox is not the answer. Better to use springs to hold the airbox. That won't stop the back fires but it will release the pressure without the box blowing apart.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how clean LPG is. My sump oil is still honey coloured after twelve months. Running on petrol it would be black within weeks.