What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - MZAT

Hi,

My 2014 Mazda 3 has become increasinly annoying in the mornings with pulling away in 1st on cold/damp days only.

Its basically as described in the 'What to watch out for' section - 14-9-2016: Report of juddering from drivetrain of 2014 Mazda3 2.0 Skyactiv when letting clutch out first thing in the morning (particularly when damp), even on gentle take-up with few revs. The juddering goes once car driven for a few minutes and clutch take-up becomes smooth. (Might have a DMF.)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiance of this? I've never had clutch issues with any car i've owned, my understanding is these have a DMF which are known to have issues but is this something I should just accept and learn to live with or take it to the dealer (I still have extended warrenty)

Any experiances or advice welcome.

Cheers!

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - SLO76
Common issue with Japanese cars particularly Honda and sometimes Mazda (wonder if they share clutch suppliers) is clutch judder when cold. I personally believe it’s contamination on the clutch plate as it feels exactly the same as the judder I encountered with a VW Caddy van a number of years back. VW replaced it at just under 3yrs old and 20,000 miles for free staying that the input shaft seal had failed allowing oil to contaminate the clutch.

I’ve had several that’ve done this to varying degrees including our current Honda CRV which had a new clutch fitted free by Honda a few months back. It cured the severe judder from cold but after a few months it began to show up again. It’s not as bad as it was but is still irritating on £26k worth of car and backs up my suggestion to our Honda dealer that the same fault exists as our VW van but they deny this. The clutch is being contaminated somehow either by oil or possibly condensation which quickly burns off as you use it.

You stating that yours is worse on wet mornings further backs up my belief that somehow condensation is causing this judder until it burns off and the car is fine. Sadly at 4yrs old you’re out of manufacturer warranty and I doubt you’ll get any goodwill on a clutch that judders only when cold.

It is sadly a common characteristic on many Japanese cars, one which they never seem to take seriously. It’s put me off buying another CRV. I doubt it has anything to do with the DMF as these petrol models aren’t hard on them plus you’d typically hear it breaking up first before noticing and judder.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/03/2018 at 11:08

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - skidpan

My BMW 118D had a little clutch judder on cold damp mornings. Once I had pulled off the drive and then pulled off the street and changed gear a few times it disapeared, by the time I stopped at the junction in the village there was no problem. If it was warm and or dry no issue at all. Was like it for probably 3 or 4 years.

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - FP

I have had this on my Mazda CX-5. I consistently avoid the worse effects of it by keeping the revs fairly high when engaging the clutch and letting it up gently. Fortunately, where I live it's pretty flat whichever direction I go. When the car's warm it's never a problem.

These last few days it seems to have virtually disappeared; this morning, for example, I wasn't aware of it at all. As SLO says (and I read it elsewhere), clutch judder it seems can be caused by dampness (i.e. condensation) on the clutch plates.

Edited by FP on 27/03/2018 at 13:32

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Sprice

As SLO mentioned, this does seem to be a problem with Japanese cars. My last car, a 63 plate Civic 1.6 diesel did this when first pulling off after being parked overnight. What did help, was if I revved it a few times with the clutch pedal pressed, my thinking being it would help fling off any moisture!

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Levent Soruklu
Hi mate,

whats that 'what to watch out for' section you're referring to? is it the car manual?
Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Xileno

It's within the Reviews section of this website:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/3-2014/good

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Levent Soruklu
Thanks man!

Edited by Levent Soruklu on 17/01/2022 at 19:09

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Topdude

Exactly the same issue with my 2004 Honda CRV (petrol) slight judder on damp mornings, ok after the first mile or so. Can't imagine it is oil contamination as it would be the same all year ?

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Rerepo

This is common on a lot of cars, not only Japanese. Its condensation on the clutch friction surface which leads to 'stick-slip' on clutch engagement, experienced as judder. I had it on a manual transmission C-Class. Pulled the clutch out to check it - it was perfect. Put a new Sachs clutch in and the next cold snap it was just the same!

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Xileno

My old Focus has started doing this in the last year. I also have discovered it's dependent on the weather. I have a theory that as the clutch wears it becomes less tolerant of any moisture. At 86000 miles it must be about 50% worn.

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Engineer Andy

My old Focus has started doing this in the last year. I also have discovered it's dependent on the weather. I have a theory that as the clutch wears it becomes less tolerant of any moisture. At 86000 miles it must be about 50% worn.

TBH the mileage for a clutch isn't the best guide to how much it is worn - the type of driving dictates that. My 55 plate Mazda3's was fine until I started a job where a good portion of the journey was in slow moving stop-start traffic, meaning I was changing gear a LOT and having to ride the clutch far more than I would like.

The clutch wore out after driving that route for just 3 months - admitedly it must've been worn to a reasonable degree after doing mixed driving (some similar, but not to that extent) over 60,000 previously, so it probably just finished it off. I suspect without that type of run each day, it would've lasted another 2-5 years.

It's replacement (fitted summer 2016 and had another 8 months of that 'nasty' driving pattern before I left the job) occasionally is a bit harsh in cold, damp weather until the car warms up, but fine otherwise. That ties in to your last comment.

Mazda 3 2.0 2014 Skyactiv - Mazda 3 2014 - Harsh Vibration pulling away - Bolt

Wear depends on driver not mileage as some clutches with a good clutch user can last 150k plus, I have seen good ones over 200k on Toyotas, only reason they were changed was for gearbox issues rather than clutch.

I have not had a car yet without clutch judder Rovers, Honda, Toyota, Vauxhall used to be the worst as some appeared to have thinner than usual friction material which imo made them more susceptible to judder.

though as slight as some were you get used to revving accordingly so take no notice until someone mentions it....

even a neighbour said both his mini and transit have the same juddering problem but was told its normal which appears to be the case?.