What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - Bethany Armett
Hello everyone,

On Thursday at around 3:15/3.30 I was reversing out of a space and accidentally scraped the front end of a Range Rover. I've only just recently started driving and am not confident in reversing in and out of spaces. I got myself into a predicament. Anyway, the lady only took my name and phone number, no insurance details but she hasn't been in touch. I've read that you're supposed to make a claim to insurance companys as soon as possible, preferably within the first 24 hrs. I'm just concerned of where I stand if she doesn't contact me until next week. Sorry if I sound totally nieave, this is all new to me!

Thank you

Edited by Bethany Armett on 10/03/2018 at 16:28

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - RobJP

You have complied with your LEGAL obligation to provide your details to the other party.

That's it. Wait fror her to contact you, and then provide your insurance details.

I'd wait and tell my insurance about it only when my insurance details had been requested. You never know, she might look at the front of the car, decide the damage is minimal, and not bother getting it fixed.

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - Bromptonaut

Don't get in too much of a panic, this stuff happens on a daily basis. Nobody was hurt and presumably damage to other vehicle is light.

Did you exchange details other than name/phone number eg address? Can you contact RR driver to ascertain position? Do you have her car's registration number?

If you've not done so already you should report the incident to your own insurer.

Highway code rule 286 says you MUST:

• stop
  • give your own and the vehicle owner’s name and address, and the registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring them
  • if you do not give your name and address at the time of the collision, report it to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. Law RTA 1988 sect 170

There's a tendency in modern era of mobile phones to overlook requirement to exchange address and other details.

Some info here:

www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/what-to-do-afte...t

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - skidpan

You have complied with your LEGAL obligation to provide your details to the other party.

That's it. Wait fror her to contact you, and then provide your insurance details.

I'd wait and tell my insurance about it only when my insurance details had been requested. You never know, she might look at the front of the car, decide the damage is minimal, and not bother getting it fixed.

Totally agree. Just sit and wait. Panicing will not make it any cheaper. By waiting it may cost you nothing.

Thanks everyone. To be honest, I was a blubbering wreck and didn't know what to do. She only took my name and number, no insurance details or my address. She was reasonable about it and was just concerned that I may have hit her sensors. There was no paint work on her car and she didn't mention anything about scratches/paintwork. On a close inspection there is very minimal damage to my car, a small scratch and a light mark that buffed out straight away.

Edited by Bethany Armett on 10/03/2018 at 18:31

For anyone interested, this was the damage to my car. As I said, the bottom mark buffed out.

www.imageupload.co.uk/image/E7tR

I don't know what you think but I think from the damage to my car it is very likely to have caused little damage to her car and I would be better off going privately if she decides she wants repairs?

Edited by Bethany Armett on 10/03/2018 at 18:46

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - scot22

From what you have said she seems to have been a reasonable lady. I had a similar situation years ago and just gave address and telephone number. Fortunately no further contact. There are honest people about.

I suggest you review what happened and how to avoid anything similar in the future. Best wishes for safe and happy motoring . We can all make mistakes. Its learning from them that counts.

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - Palcouk

If you report the incident to your insurers a claim will be registered against you and your subsequent premiums will increase.

You only report to insurers if the other party makes an insurance claim against you.

No need to contact the other person again, you have allready complied with the legal requirements

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - FP

Others have covered this pretty comprehensively. The only thing I would add to Bethany as an inexperienced driver is that manouvring in restricted spaces, and especially reversing, involve a lot of skill and patience.

You need to be able to judge how close you are to everything else - a good sense of spatial awareness. If you're uncertain, stop sooner rather than later. Remember, you will never be able to see what's happening at the back of your car as well as you can at the front, but you must do your best, by physically turning your head and using your door and windscreen mirrors constantly.

Reversing is inherently dangerous because of this, and reversing out of a space in a car park when there are other cars and pedestrians passing is especially so. Presumably that's why some drivers reverse in to a space, though that is not my preference.

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - alan1302

Reversing is inherently dangerous because of this, and reversing out of a space in a car park when there are other cars and pedestrians passing is especially so. Presumably that's why some drivers reverse in to a space, though that is not my preference.

I prefer to reverse in for that reason (although often don't as it is easier to just drive in) especially if parking is somewhere quite tight and it is a lot easier to pull out of a parking space than reverse out as you can see a lot better.

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - Bromptonaut

I prefer to reverse in for that reason (although often don't as it is easier to just drive in) especially if parking is somewhere quite tight and it is a lot easier to pull out of a parking space than reverse out as you can see a lot better.

All things equal I'd reverse in and do so 100% both at work car park and in my own drive. More of a problem at supermarket when there's a need to get laden trolley to boot. More so as both our cars (berlingo and roomster) have large vertical tailgates that need clearance to open.

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - KJP 123

Backing up FP

I have 40 years’ driving experience yet nearly hit a vehicle in the opposite bay in a supermarket. It was narrow and it was a van overlapping the space by two and a half feet. Maybe the driver was wrong to park that way but I was the one moving.

You need to reverse slowly and constantly check mirrors: what saved me.

I am amazed that people walk behind cars that are clearly reversing: they can see the reversing lights and are drivers too.

Reversing into a space avoids this but you are reversing into a small space from a larger one so there are also disadvantages. I, too, rarely do this.

Edited by KJP 123 on 11/03/2018 at 21:45

Ford KA - I scraped a Range Rover! - 520i

Some very reasonably priced aftermarket reversing sensors can be bought and easily fitted now, might be a worthwhile investment for a new driver finding their feet.