What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2015 Peugeot 308 1.6 BlueHDI - Judder - Clutch and DMF replaced under warranty - David_S86

Hi all,

I thought I'd just share my recent experience with you regarding clutch problems with my 2015 Peugeot 308 Allure 1.6 BlueHDI 120. Firstly a bit of info on the car - I purchased it at the end of October from a Peugeot dealer. It had covered 43k and I am the 4th owner. It has full service history however I didn't realise until I collected the car that one if these owners was a car rental company. If I had known this before I agreed the purchase I may have been a little reluctant to buy. It was however, a great price, being pretty much the cheapest BlueHDI 120 Allure in the UK. On the short test run that I gave it, the car drove great, but I'm only talking 5 miles of continuous driving so not an in depth test drive. I was happy to do a deal though.

After driving it a few weeks I couldn't help but notice a slight judder when pulling off in 1st gear. At first I thought it was normal but as it kept happening it was starting to bug me. With it being under warranty until the end of March I thought I'd get it checked out. I took it to Robins and Day in Derby as this was my closest Peugeot dealership. This is not where I bought it from as I travelled 100 miles to buy the car originally. Not long after it went in I got a phone call to say the mechanic had been out in it and acknowledged the judder was there. They said when they went through the Peugeot problem solving guide (as it was under warranty) the only two solutions that were given was to replace either the clutch or the dual mass flywheel so this is what they were going to do. Result I thought!

They said they'd need my car for 2 weeks and would provide a courtesy car. It was booked in within a week which I thought was very prompt service. At first there was a bit of a delay, as because of the cost of the work, it needed approval from Peugeot. In all honesty I expected this to be the stumbling block as I didn't expect it to be approved. To my pleasant surprise it was approved! Now whether it would have been approved if a) I hadnt only just bought the car or b) I hadnt bought it from a Peugeot dealership i dont know but this is obviously not my concern. It was booked in to be fitted (both the clutch and the DMF) yesterday and i got a phone call today to say it was ready. The difference was immediately noticeable (considering a stalled the car straightaway). The bite point was much further down the pedal and pulling off is as smooth as it comes. Also gear changes in general are much smoother.

Obviously I am very happy with the outcome. I know you here of some horror stories with car manufacturers refusing these type of warranty claims on much newer and less used cars but I'll give Peugeot their due, their were no issues getting it approved.

I would also like to say a big well done and thank you to Robins and Day in Derby who's service has been nothing short of outstanding. They booked my car in very quickly(even with a courtesy car required), they have been professional and always kept me up to date. I have owned numerous cars in the past including Audi's, BMW's, Seat's and Ford's and I have never received particularly great service until I came to the so called "poor relation". Well done Peugeot.

On a slight negative, the dealer where I bought the car from (not Robins and Day) cannot be complemented quite so much. My car had recalls outstanding that they never picked up and why was the car sold to me with a worn clutch? I also had to chase them for service history.

Sorry for the long story, and I hope for the sake of owners of this car it is an isolated issue that has probably been caused by abuse when it was a rental car, but I hope the info will be of help to someone in the future.

Edited by David_S86 on 09/01/2018 at 16:35

2015 Peugeot 308 1.6 BlueHDI - Judder - Clutch and DMF replaced under warranty - Joao Brandao

Thank you very much for sharing this.

My car has exactly the same symptom. I took it to Peugeot workshop a few months ago and they said that was nothing to worry about and that it is normal.

Now symptom got a bit worse but meanwhile warranty expired. I protested again with them and claimed I flagged the problem still within warranty so now I'm taking my car back to the dealer next week... I have only 30.000 km on it with 2 years and a few months running...

Can you eventually share some technical details of your case like Chassis number or a copy of the document with the repair done so I can show them that if they keep saying this is nothing.

my e-mail: joaobran@yahoo.com