What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - John F

Winter's coming, and I feel the cold even more now I am old and thin. Top of the list of desirables is a heater that pumps out loads of hot air asap on frosty mornings. This is never mentioned in auto-reviews so please can owners of Leafs, Volts, tiny ecoboosts etc tell me how good they are at this? If no better than our 17yr old Ford Focus which lives outside but heats up v quickly, better than our previous Passats, it stays on the road!

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - daveyjp
You can set up the Leaf so the heating is on before you get in the car. I only drive a pool car version, but it can be done via smart phone.

My first trip in it was in November 2 years ago. I was first out and it had been a frosty night. Ice was melting off the car within seconds of me setting full heat to front and rear screen.
Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - gordonbennet

Its the heating aspect that the electric car enthusiasts arn't giving due thought to, heating will consume large amounts of power.

Who here would dare venture out in an electric only car if there was danger of heavy snow.

If you want fast heating, Landcruisers and Hilux's have an auxilliary heateing unit sitting just above and driven by the same auxilliary belt as the aircon, gets heat into the cab within about 2 mins of starting on the coldest of mornings.

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - daveyjp
The heating system doesn't use that much power, its a little more sophisticated than a 2 bar electric heater under the bonnet.

Obviously if the car is plugged in and charging pre heating is via mains power.
Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - IRC

"The heating system doesn't use that much power, its a little more sophisticated than a 2 bar electric heater under the bonnet"

Any electric heater turns electricity into heat. In a closed area like a car you will need the same power to get the same heat. Sophistication can't make heat from nothing. There is the heat pump system but my understanding is that heat pumps ghardly work below freezing.

My guess at 2Kw was based on the fact my 2Kw fan heater takes a while to warm up my Octavia.

Google tells me that a 2011 Nissan Leaf heater uses up to 3Kw

" I do know that the heater in my 2011 LEAF draws a max of 3 kW, on a cold day"

www.quora.com/How-powerful-is-Nissan-Leaf-heating-...p

.Not an issue for a Leaf that is plugged in but an issue for the majority of homes without off street parking.

Edited by IRC on 09/08/2017 at 10:58

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - corax
If you want fast heating, Landcruisers and Hilux's have an auxilliary heateing unit sitting just above and driven by the same auxilliary belt as the aircon, gets heat into the cab within about 2 mins of starting on the coldest of mornings.

Is that standard equipment gb, and does that apply to the earlier Colorado/Prado Landcruisers?

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - gordonbennet

Is that standard equipment gb, and does that apply to the earlier Colorado/Prado Landcruisers?

I'm not sure about Collie and Prado grey imports could be any spec imaginable depending on market, it wasn't on my year 2000 petrol Collie (90 series), i suppose its possible they put it on when they common railed the Diesel around 2001, my gut feeling is no but i haven't looked at one.

I'm unsure if the lower spec LC120 (03 on) got the heater, high spec did, again i'm unsure whether they were so fitted from launch, mine being an '05 LC5 has it as did my '07 Hilux Invincible spec.

There is a diagram of the auxilliary belt routing stuck to the air filter, about 4 different versions are shown, only one shows the heater unit.

Easy enough to spot in an underbonnet photo though, the unit sits to the top left about 3" to the left of the oil filler cap, it has a hefty finger guard covering the belt and clutch, with the very similar airon compressor directly underneath, so if its got what looks like two aircon units one above the other then it's got the heater.

Its plumbed in and pumps warm water straight into the cab heater matrix, but almost no one on the Toyota forums knows how they work (seems a reliable system), it clutch starts itself like an aircon unit by pressing the button with a heater emblem (nowhere near the standard heater controls), but you can't judge by that cos lots of Toyota 4x4's have a fast idle feature, that button turns it on and automatically raises the tickover to about 1100 rpm, it cuts itself off when the standard water temp reaches suitable warmth, so you have to remember to turn it off or the revs rise stright to 1100 rpm on the next cold start, don't want that and i tend to let the engine run for 30 seconds or so before giving it fast idle anyway.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/08/2017 at 18:43

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - corax
Its plumbed in and pumps warm water straight into the cab heater matrix,

Much obliged for the info, that's a clever and useful system.

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - IRC

I find my 1.4Tsi Octavia much slower to warm up in winter than my previous 1..8 petrol Mondeo. More efficient engine less waste heat?

Not a major issue in most conditions but in heavy frost I plug a fan heater in to an extension lead and run it for 20 mins while I'm having breakfast so the car is warm and the glass frost free when I start.

The ability of the Leaf to pre warm would appeal to me. As to how much this would reduce the range - my commute is 30 mins so assuming (a total guess) that the heater was like a 2 bar electric fire that is using up 2Kwh of the 24 0r 30 in the "tank". (1Kwh pre warming and 1Kwh on journey) Enough to notice but not a massive problem - assuming you accept the up to 155 miles range quoted by Nissan as fantasy and expect a more realist 60-80 miles in real world conditions.

Edited by IRC on 08/08/2017 at 23:17

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - Kekettykek

I imagine the pre-heating is done while it's plugged in and sitting on your drive so it wouldn't affect the range. If the car is all toasty-warm before you get in it the heater will have a lot less work to do when you're driving.

I personally think electric vehicles should have the option of a Webasto style heater running off a small tank of diesel or parrafin. Of course they would no longer be zero-emission vehicles but over a year of use the emissions would be tiny in comparison to a conventional engine.

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - J.Barton

From my experience:

2004 320d - takes half the journey to work (27 miles) to heat up. Great big lump that seems to have an engined tuned to stay cool when being pressed, so when you pootle along it barely reaches temperature.

2014 fiesta ecoboost 100hp - Heats up pretty quickly in comparison to the bm. Maybe 5 minutes? It's my partners car so I don't drive it a great deal.

2002 MR2 1.8 - Heats up even faster than fiesta I think. Maybe blows hot air in 3-5 minutes, something like that.

So in answer to your question, I dont think the ecoboost engines fair too badly especially in comparison with my great big diesel lump.

Edited by J.Barton on 09/08/2017 at 10:29

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - Brit_in_Germany

If the heater is a stumbling block for the manufacturers of electric cars, could they not build in a Webasto type water heater and a small petrol tank to fuel it?

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - RobJP

If the heater is a stumbling block for the manufacturers of electric cars, could they not build in a Webasto type water heater and a small petrol tank to fuel it?

Because the average dimwit would not realise that they needed to put fuel in their car, and would then complain about having to put petrol into their electric car !

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - Wackyracer

If your seriously asking about the heater on the Nissan Leaf, this mans blog seems to be a very honest reflection. sam-koblenski.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/a-year-and-ha...l

Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - Bianconeri
The heating system on my (hybrid) Niro is first rate. It is the sort of thing that real (pre-Ford) Volvos used to have, great and rapid heater and comfortable heated seats.

I thought the heated steering wheel was a gimmick I'd never use but it's great, and I hate pointless gadgets in cars.
Heater performance in modern eco/electric cars? - John F

Thanks to all for helpful comments, esp W'racer for the link to Wisconsin! If a Leaf is OK there, it should be fine for our (non)winters.