What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW - Premium small automatic - DavidBlaney1984
Currently have an Audi a1 s line 1.4 s-tronic, won't be purchasing at end of PCP term only because of long term risk of the dry 7 speed gearbox. It has however been excellent so far.
Anyway, I would like to get another premium hatchback next time that must be automatic, preferably torque converter box but also something that I can believe to be reliable for a decent length of time.

Am I right in saying i should rule out 4 cylinder bmws, 1.8 mercs and anything with a dsg!??

And if so, what's left!!! 6 cylinder 1 series. Not many more??

Edited by DavidBlaney1984 on 07/02/2017 at 21:34

Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW - Premium small automatic - Avant

Volvo V40 perhaps, although it doesn't have a petrol engine nearly as good as the 1.4 in your A1.

I'm not sure why you need to rule out the BMWs and Mercedes you mention - but a 6-cylinder 1-series must be tempting if it's within your budget.

I ruled out the 4 cylinder bmws and the c180 mercs because of timing chain woes.
Volvo V40, good suggestion!!! I'd forgotten about those!
If only the a1 had the wet 6 speed DSG like the q3 has
Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW - Premium small automatic - daveyjp

You haven't mentioned what age you are looking at, but you need to check the engines in the C180.

I test drove one (W204) a few years ago and despite it being badged C180 it was a 1.6 turbo engine

Edited by daveyjp on 08/02/2017 at 10:55

Yeah I should have made reference to age
If in good condition I would consider going as far back as 2005-06 to allow for maximum opportunity of a 6 cylinder 1 series
As for the mercs, W204 model and no earlier. My research tells me they are starting to break chains like the BMW engines were
The only Audi I could consider is the a3 1.6 special edition as it had a torque converter auto
Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW - Premium small automatic - skidpan

If the A1 you have on PCP has been with you since new and has been properly serviced it will be less of a risk than a 12 year old BMW.

Any 12 year old car is a potential money pit.