What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 petro 10 plate - Clutch don't feel right - Paul baker 360
Any one know if I can do something about this or do I need to put it in for a bigger job like clutch replacement?

My first car, had it about 6 months and the biteing point is at the very top of releasing the clutch pedal, it also feels a little stiff at the gear stick when changing gears like it's getting stuck/caught. How ever most of the comments online in related posts talk about slipping the clutch when it's knackered mine has not done this yet at all, I've even been able to pull away from parked in 3rd gear even tho it was a struggle, 2nd gear pulls away ok. There does seem less power or takes longer to get up speed than it use to example on coming onto a roads / motorways.

Bought it with 23k on the clock now it's done almost 26k. Could I have burned out the clutch in under 3k miles. It's not like I ride the clutch often or sit in traffic as my travel consists mostly at night when the roads are clear.

Should I use Halfords clutch check as it's free? Can I look myself?
Ford Focus 1.6 petro 10 plate - Clutch don't feel right - Peter.N.

Biting point at the top indicates a worn clutch on some cars but not all, where was the biting point when you first had it?

Does it go into gear easier when the engine is not running? If so that would indicate that the clutch is not disengaging properly.

The clutch won't normally makie any difference to the power output unless its slipping and that't easy to check, just watch the rev counter and see if its going up at the same rate as the speedo, if its slipping the revs will go up when you accelerate hard without increasing the speed.

Ford Focus 1.6 petro 10 plate - Clutch don't feel right - skidpan

There does seem less power or takes longer to get up speed than it use to example on coming onto a roads / motorways.

A clutch issue does not reduce engine power, it simply slips, provides less drive and thus less aceleration.

But you say its not slipping so we have to discount that.

Would suggest you get a more experienced friend or relative to drive the car and see what they think. But please ensure they are correctly insurred first.

Should I use Halfords clutch check as it's free?

No, the check might be free but they will then spend all your money, they are only there to replace parts and not diagnose problems.

Can I look myself?

No, its all enclosed inside the bellhousing.

If its not slipping and it changes gear OK there is more than likely nothing wrong and its all in your imagination. Lets be honest, the 1.6 Focus petrol is not a quick car and after 3,000 miles you have probably just got used to what little performance it has.

Edited by skidpan on 25/12/2016 at 09:38

Ford Focus 1.6 petro 10 plate - Clutch don't feel right - gordonbennet

Its not a car i'm familiar with but don't these things have internal slave cylinders built into the clutch release bearing, a brillant (not) bit of design for if the slave cylinder plays up, and i am sure i have read these do, then instead of 20 minutes swapping an external slave its gearbox out time instead.

If it were mine i'd get recommendations for a reliable indy garage and ask them to have a poke nose.