What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
running in - gbone
help picking up a new ford focus next week from derby /wondering how i should drive home normal speed or
drive at a constant speed (ie 50\60 or less) i have about 150 mile trip . thank you
running in - ChrisV
There was a thread running a couple of days ago about a fairly extreme way of running a new engine in using progressively harder throttle openings in just 20 miles! I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.
I've always understood that one of the most important things about running in a new engine was to avoid constant revs as much as possible.
Chris
running in - Railroad
I think that with modern engines, fuels and lubricants, you should drive it normally. Avoid harsh over revving and labouring though.

My van has now done 140,000 miles. I drove it from day 1 exactly the same as I do now, and it still starts, runs and sounds as good as the day it was new.
running in - gbone
thanks i am picking this car up for my mum i dont live near her
i have told her to keep a look at the coolant levels and
oil is there any thing else to check on a ford focus 1.6
cheers
running in - DavidHM
My parents' 1.6 Focus arrived with a dodgy handbrake. Other than that, it was fine. Obviously check the car over and before you even drive it, point out whatever you find. The easiest time to reject the car is before it's left the forecourt.

There was a case when someone was held to have accepted a car after 27 miles, I believe.
running in - OAP

There are two things you need to do:

(1)In the search box above, enter the words: Taking delivery of a new car....choose the third thread and have a sheet of A4 on which to list the key points to check over. Presumably you too are buying from Motorpoint?

(2)Then come back to HJ's home page and click on Frequently Asked Questions and go to No's 11 and 14.

By the time you have done that you will have most of the info you need.
running in - Godfrey H {P}
You could always read the owners manual when you pick it up under the heading "running in"!
running in - blank
Certainly DONT drive at a constant slow speed. I think just about anything else might be up for discussion, but you definitely need to expose the engine to a range of revs and loads.

If it was mine, I would drive it normally, up to about three-quarters throttle opening and three-quarters of max revs for 1000 miles, then let rip.

hth
Andy
running in - gbone
hi thanks for all the advice written down all your advice given here / i will allow about one hour to check car over before handing over the bankers draft. thanks graham
running in - Mark (RLBS)
If you use A-Roads rather than motorways then I would have thought the journey would be much more suitable to a new car - what with corners, towns and other things, your speed and engine load should vary quite a bit.
running in - Reggie
qbone, just for your information, Motorpoint (if it is Motorpoint that you are getting the car from) take the cheque / bankers draft, and then show you the car. I don't suppose it would stop you asking for your cheque back if the car was flawed.
Reggie
running in - JamesH
If you use A-Roads rather than motorways then I would have
thought the journey would be much more suitable to a new
car - what with corners, towns and other things, your speed
and engine load should vary quite a bit.

Motorways may be okay if you use them in rush hour. I would normally stay out of lane 3 if seriously busy. However, the lane 3 lunacy means going up and down between 50 and 80 all the time, helping run the engine in.

James
running in - 007

Bear in mind that you will also be 'running in' the tyres !

I can't lay my hands on the tips for this (the car's handbook may have something to say on the subject) but IIRC the advice is to drive, especially when cornering, with care and consideration for the first 100 miles....the very idea of driving at up to 80mph in a brand new car would surely store up trouble for a later date?
running in - gbone
when i pick the car up i need to drive to great yarmouth sounds like i have to drive the car as normal(my cars a v6 omega) never thought about the tyres.