What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - monkeyboyo

Not yet a Honda CRV owner, although intending as my next car.

Can anyone advise on where/how to establish maximum load supported by boot anchors in any particular car. I need to carry a 125kg load (motobility scooter) internally, with heavy duty straps. This may dictate whether i buy a car or van.

Thinking about the fatal intrusion of boot items into passenger area in an accident

Thanks for any help !

Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - SLO76
We have a 2014 1.6 DTEC SE-T 2wd and it's certainly a very practical and well made big family car that's pretty amazing on fuel for such a large car. We're averaging 56mpg and it'll exceed 65 on longer runs with me at the wheel instead of lead foot Nancy. I can't find anything online or in the manual regarding exact boot weight capacity but we've certainly had it full to capacity many times without it feeling unsafe. Though the load lip is higher than a van or estate.

The 2wd, particularly with the low rolling resistance economy tyres does struggle for traction in quick starts away from junctions though which would only be worse with a lot of weight in the back so if budget suits perhaps 4wd would be best.

Your local Honda dealer should be able to help.
Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - catsdad
This is a heavy lump to rely on the standard fittings. If the dealer can't advise you might be able to check with one of the conversion companies as to what they fit when they adapt a vehicle for carrying these. I'd bet they can fit suitable anchorage points for you if the standard ones aren't man enough.
Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - monkeyboyo

Thanks very much folks for your replies. Much appreciated.

CATSDAD - good call re aftermarket anchor points; definitely a good direction to try. Thanks for the suggestion !

Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - focussed

If you really want to frighten yourself do some calculations on this website about the values of the forces are that are involved.

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

Honda CRV - Safety - maximum load on boot anchors? - Dave N

The eyes on cars aren't tested to any standard. I make dog boxes for cars here in sweden, and there as a series of crash tests available.

One test I did was into a deformable wall at 50km/h, and a box with a total weight of 100kg generated a load of 2.5G, or 2.5 tons. This was born by the back seat of a Volvo V70.

So there is no way the eyes will take 2.5 tons, and even if they could you would need some pretty substantial straps, not the usual 1" wide chinese specials.

Heres a video so you can see how violent it is www.youtube.com/watch?v=XConywovkNY