What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C4 - Auction question - Parlophone
Hi,

I bought a Fiat Bravo at an auction 4 years ago, car has treated me really well and it worked out as a great but doing 25k a year is making me look again.

I've been able to find some low mileage 4-5 year old C4's and after reading into it I'm given the impression of a reasonably reliable car with high depreciation which suits me. I have found an automatic that is actually the model to avoid but having never driven an automatic I'm still interested.

What is confusing me though is that the vehicle is listed on an auction website but the seller is actually a dealership. Is this an instant sign of something to be concerned about as surely they would just sell it themselves?

Any advice on the EGS automatic would also be helpful.
Citroen C4 - Auction question - RobJP

I assume you mean it's up for auction, but it's in an auction 'section' from a single dealer, or group of dealers.

In which case, no, not a problem. For example, Halliwell Jones up here in the Northwest often put cars through BCA Preston or Manchester. Quite simply it's cars that are over mileage, or of a marque that they don't think they will sell, or cars that have minor knocks, etc. to an extent that they can't be bothered with it. Or a combination of all the above.

Citroen C4 - Auction question - Ian D

Could be a dealer part ex, which may be a duffer p/x'd for a reason (something major wrong) or it could be a perfectly good p/x.

I have bought 5 cars at auction wich were all Arval or PHH 3 or 4 year old end of lease cars and were fine, not sure i would chance a dealer p/x car or any car in a General sale.

The last one i bought was 5 years ago, private buyer fees these days are so much i dont bother with auctions anymore.

Or do you mean it is on ebay!?

Edited by Ian D on 29/05/2016 at 17:58

Citroen C4 - Auction question - Parlophone
Thanks for the quick response guys, it's Bristol Street Motors a car dealership based in the south and online. 15k mileage on an 11 plate, having had another look they actually have two similar models going into the auction. They sell a lot of similar cars at an older age which should probably be my first warning, not sure if it would be worth calling them direct and asking some questions. Would obviously be cheaper to buy at auction but if I offered to buy it from them and they weren't keen on offering any warranty that would give me reason enough to walk away. Any advice is appreciated
Citroen C4 - Auction question - RobJP

That is a VERY low mileage for a 5 year old car.

That the one with an MOT expiry in 3 months, on 10th August ?

Wonder why they haven't put a new 12 month ticket on it, and why there's no condition report up for it !

Edited by RobJP on 29/05/2016 at 18:27

Citroen C4 - Auction question - daveyK_UK

Beware of the excessive BCA auction fees for private buyers, an absolute scandal.

The only value for a private buyer at BCA is the police auction which charges a flat 5% fee on former police vehicles.

BUT honest john always says the police know when to get rid off their cars so maybe they are not such a bargain, although friends have had good service out of ex police high mileage scruffy astras.

Citroen C4 - Auction question - pd

Advice on EGS automatic: Just don't.