What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - danielle2016

Hi there

I would be really grateful for any advice.

I have a 2013 ford fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. Over this 3 year period I have driven over 55k miles. I get the car serviced after every 10,000 as per the recommended service schedule. I have changed the tyres but haven’t had any other work needed.

At my last service the mechanic recommended new front brake discs and pads and new shock absorbers. He has quoted me £840 for a full service and the work done (a full service is £280, the brakes and pads are £250, shocks £310), I wondered whether this was a reasonable quote for this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Danielle

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - Bromptonaut

55k is good or the pads (have you had them replaced before?), discs are also 'wear' componenents and would be no shock if at that mileage they're too worn to outlive new pads.

Shock absorbers at that mileage are moreof a surprise, though I'm not a Ford driver.

Try a few quotes from fast fit places.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - John F

He is trying to fleece you, probably because your moniker suggests you are a girl.

The word 'service' is used in the motor trade to generate as much work as the client will stand. The car's handbook will tell you what is actually needed.

I very much doubt if you need new shock absorbers, they usually last the life of the car. I have never ever replaced any, ever since being conned into doing so in 1988 for my then 8yr old TR7.

A decent set of discs and pads can be delivered to your door for well under £100 - just google 'ford fiesta pads' and take your choice. They should take no more than an hour to fit, and do not need changing yet if the pad thickness is more than 3mm.

As far as the 'service' is concerned you need a five litre can of oil (max£25) and a filter (£5). Purists will recommend a brake fluid change but you will be OK for at least another couple of years. For some reason the spark plugs for this engine seem to be very expensive - about £30. Again, the handbook will tell you how often they need replacing. I usually add another 10,000miles to such recommendation, depending on the type of plug.

The MoT will identify anything else that needs 'servicing'.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - bazza

It does seem expensive to be honest. I wouldn't expect to be replacing the shock absorbers at that kind of mileage on any car. You need a second opinion on that. Unless they are leaking (unlikely) they should be fine.

As John F says, the discs and pads should be well under £100, fitting them onto a car as common and straighforward as a Fiesta should be about an hour or so labour.

So I would be looking more at a target of £250 ish, very roughly, off the top of my head.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - gordonbennet

As above, no need for genuine parts as its near enough out of warranty, and well chosen pattern parts are every bit as good (often the same maker) as genuine.

I'd be looking for an independent second opinion on the shockers too, again good quality pattern parts every bit as good as OE...if OE have failed at this mileage i suggest pattern preferable.

I am a girl yes and was pretty suspicious of the price tag and work that needed doing on a car that's is less than 3 years old!

Many thanks for all of your replies. I havent had anything replaced on the car as yet, i have also emailed a few places for other quotes but i am tempted to get the disks and pads changed, stick it in for it's first MOT and see what comes out the other end.

Is it frowed upon to but the parts over the internet and ask a mechanic to fit them?

thanks again for all of your help.

Danielle

Instead of buying your own, i suggest you ask around people who's opinion you respect for recommendations for good garages and mechanics, if you find a good one stick with them.

The good garage will make a bit on the parts obviously but if you buy parts and something goes wrong things get complicated, mech strips car down bits don't fit, what happens?, mechanic supplies bits and fits them and it's all down to him...this gets especially tricky when someone supplies something like a clutch kit saving £50, clutch fails 3 weeks later who's responsible and who pays the time for removal and refit again?

Thank you, that's a really good point re the parts.

The problem i have is that i don't have anyone who has a personal recommendation for a good garage. I looked on the 'good garage scheme' site to choose my current garage.

I live in Ascot and travel into West London for work which is where I get my car serviced, any recommendations gratefully received, if allowed on this forum!

Many thanks again.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - NARU

Shame I no longer live in that part of the world, or I'd show you how to measure the pads and disks.

Its the wrong direction for you, but Deepcut Garage were always good. Prices weren't cheap [almost main dealer level] though.

I have had similar experience with garages and have had to phone previously on behalf of my daughter. Once they know they are speaking with someone who has some clue about cars, the tone changes. It is just completely unacceptable but unfortunately still around. My advice is to tap up a work colleague or someone in your circle who has some knowledge to phone up for you and get quotes. It shouldn't be, and it annoys me intensely but this does help. Ask around your group, everyone has cars, someone will know a decent garage. Good luck with it all and as I said, look at a couple of hundred quid rather than getting on for a grand!

I havent had anything replaced on the car as yet,..... i am tempted to get the disks and pads changed, stick it in for it's first MOT and see what comes out the other end.

I would do the MoT first (they will test the brakes) and ask the mechanic how much wear is left on the pads. It may be that's all you need if you have done 55,000m without a pad change which shows you are not the sort of driver who has their right foot always pressed hard against a pedal. Good quality discs should last a driver like you up to 100,000. Mine do.

Agreed JohnF, our OP is doing very well with brakes lasting that long given the commute she does, and i'd MOT it first as well at somewhere a bit old school (not the garage presently used) and see what the tester says.

As a rule i find discs last two pad changes these days, that looks like its going to be the case on my artic lorry too which is half way through steering and drive axles second sets of pads @ 490k kms and there is a sizeable lip on the steering axle disc, drive axle discs not so easily visible unless i'm grovelling on the deck or the wheels are off.**

It isn't always the case on smaller cars i've noticed, family Aygo sees a lot of south east England driving, i changed the front discs with the pads first time round before 40k because the discs were wearing fast, its just had another pad change and i decided to leave the discs this time but i have no doubt a garage thinking about bedding in issues and smaller contact area due to wear lip leading to poorer braking during bedding in process would have changed them again.

For a small car the Aygo is rather heavy on its pads.

**just for interest we as a company along with many others, including the hire company who rent several trailers to us have gone back to specifying drum brakes on trailers, not only are they every bit as good in performance if driven properly, but they don't give any in service trouble at all...the same cannot be said of those fitted with disc brakes which are nothing but a pita and cover the wheels in brake dust when driven poorly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/05/2016 at 11:11

As a rule i find discs last two pad changes these days, that looks like its going to be the case on my artic lorry too.....there is a sizeable lip on the steering axle disc, drive axle discs not so easily visible unless i'm grovelling on the deck or the wheels are off.

Same here.

I don't suppose it's as easy to grind off the lip and the rust with a carborundum wheel as it is with a small car disc!

I don't suppose it's as easy to grind off the lip and the rust with a carborundum wheel as it is with a small car disc!

Another year probably and i'll let you know if they're new or get lathed down.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - Cyd

An example: a friend has a VW Gof GTD with about 40k on it. Went for it's first MoT last week and found both rear shocks leaking, so failed.
VW dealer wanted about £500 (yes, five hundred pounds) to replace the rear shocks.
OE shocks for this vehicle are from Sachs.
My friend bought Sachs replacements from ECP for £85 and a local garage fitted them for £50 (he was going to do it himself but required a tool he didn't have). Total £135.

I have mod'd suspension on my Saab Aero, so I fitted Monroe Reflex. i got a full set of 4 for £165 and did them myself in under 4 hours. A garage would be a fair bit quicker.

For your car, Premier Factors in Walsall will do a set of Mintex discs and pads for about £85 delivered. Even doing the discs and pads on the drive on my wifes C1 it only took under 2 hours (including lots of attention to detail to make sure everything was running properly and preventing fluid going backwards up the pipes). So at a independant? £100 labour maybe.

I have Mintex all round on my Saab and they are fine. the car will stop on a sixpence and I have to drive like an animal to get them to fade.

So, to summarise, find a local independant and ask for branded aftermarket units (you don't actually say how many shocks you need, 2 or 4, front or rear?). I'd say those prices are a little high but not extortionate

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - elekie&a/c doctor

If the car is less than 3 years old and the shocks are leaking,then surely this would be covered on the Ford warranty??

If the car is less than 3 years old and the shocks are leaking,then surely this would be covered on the Ford warranty??

Not sure doc, i seem to recall posts here in the past with even VW's with leaking shockers being denied warranty claim because wear and tear part?

Pretty poor show if they are leaking. I've never had to replace one in recent years. The shocks on 9 year old Panda and 12 year old Corolla in the drive are fine.

(Typical VAG response isn't it, it will only get worse as they pull their horns in to pay for all the Class actions world-wide)

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - daveyjp

Mercedes quote for disks and pads all round - £600. Local garage - £300. he also repaired the low pad warning wiring.

Ford Fiesta ecoboost - new brake discs, pads & shocks-price? - primus 1

Could the shocks be worn if the op regularly drives over lots of speed bumps?

Also, just a thought you could try the ford fiesta forum/owners club there's lots of helpful advice and maybe someone maybe willing to do the work if they live nearby, or they could recommend a garage near you, worth a try ?