Any - Air con maintenence - Metropolis.

Thinking long term, is it bad for the ac system to run it on maximum cold and max fan speed (manual controls) or is it a good thing?

I know it's bad NOT to run the AC system as seals can dry out, but just curious about the effects of doing the opposite. Like everyone here, want to maintain my car and avoid future bills where possible/expand my knowledge.

By AC system i mean all the components.

PCharlton

Any - Air con maintenence - RT

Just run it for comfort all year round - if you've got full climate control, just set the temperature you want and select Auto - if you've just got basic air-con, adjust the heat control to suit you, ie higher in winter, lower in summer, and set the fan to whatever speed you find comfortable.

Any - Air con maintenence - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly ,"the seals drying out"is a myth.This can only happen if there is no gas in the system.Using the system on max will do no harm,but don't forget this will put extra load on the engine and alternator,so may increase fuel consumption.The cooling fans will be working more often also.Realistically as far as a/c goes,just use it and enjoy it.

Any - Air con maintenence - Metropolis.

Thanks both of you for the replies

Any - Air con maintenence - Big John

Firstly ,"the seals drying out"is a myth.

Presumably if you have an older clutch operated compressor if it's not run for some time you may be asking for trouble?

Any - Air con maintenence - John F

Just run it for comfort all year round - if you've got full climate control, just set the temperature you want and select Auto .....

This might not be good enough advice for a cold oldie like me who has it set at 22 - which means that for at least six months of the year the cooling mechanism won't be working. I think one should occasionally turn it to 'Lo' or whatever - on the 'if you don't use it, you'll lose it' principle.

Any - Air con maintenence - RT

Just run it for comfort all year round - if you've got full climate control, just set the temperature you want and select Auto .....

This might not be good enough advice for a cold oldie like me who has it set at 22 - which means that for at least six months of the year the cooling mechanism won't be working. I think one should occasionally turn it to 'Lo' or whatever - on the 'if you don't use it, you'll lose it' principle.

I'm also an "oldie" and often set higher than 22 - doesn't mean the aircon isn't operating though to cool the incoming air, reducing it's humidity and then taking heat from the engine to heat it up to the required temperate.

That's how climate control works - and basic aircon if you switch it on!

Any - Air con maintenence - elekie&a/c doctor

Interestingly ,on many cars ,switching the climate system to auto does not bring on the a/con system.My brother has a Bmw 3 2006 and he complained yesterday that the a/c was not working when the auto button was pressd.There is a seperate push-button to engage the aircon.

I'm also an "oldie" and often set higher than 22 - doesn't mean the aircon isn't operating though to cool the incoming air, reducing it's humidity and then taking heat from the engine to heat it up to the required temperate.

That's how climate control works - and basic aircon if you switch it on!

True, but as I'm too mean to run the compressor all the year round it's usually on 'Econ'.

Any - Air con maintenence - slkfanboy

My car clocks litres used per hour when stationary with the A/C this is .1 l/hr and on .2 to .3 l/hr so when not need a/c it's turned off.

so that's 10p, 20p - 30p. Every little helps!