What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - Benet

In last Saturday's Daily Telegraph someone wrote in who was planning to go on a European trip in a 2003 Peugeot. HJ replied that replacing the water pump is always a good idea before taking an old car for a long journey. I have a 1999 Honda which I am planning to take to Europe this summer - not for the first time. Should I be replacing the water pump? I've never had any obvious trouble nor the whining water pump noise.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - oldroverboy.

How lucky do you feel. I once had a water pump go just as i got to dover, (leaking) and got home by stopping and filling up frequently, ( a long time ago)

Option is to take a water pump with you and risk the changeover wherever you are.

Presumably you will not have the benefit of breakdown cover on a car of that age.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - Gibbo_Wirral

Depends on when the cambelt was changed and if the water pump was done at the same time.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - slkfanboy

Depends on when the cambelt was changed and if the water pump was done at the same time.

Water pumps often have plastic insides the ware down and the pump becomes less efficient. So often cam pump & water pump are changed at the same time.

So if they car is due a cam belt change or old and with orginal parts it would seam wise.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - focussed

I suppose it's really a case of where do you draw the line.

Full gasket set? Spare electric fuel pump? Top and bottom hoses? Spare clutch plate? Wiper motor?

The list could be endless.

This reminds me of my dear old dad who used to drive about with enough parts and tools to do a roadside engine rebuild including oil and anti freeze!

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - RobJP

Sounds like an MG B owner's club day out !

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - concrete

I would check when the cambelt was replaced and if possible find out if the water pump was changed too. I am on my third cambelt, tensioners and water pump. Not the generic type but an original pump with metal impeller. If unsure and the cambelt change is near enough have them done before your trip. Generally about £150 for the job from memory. Could save you a lot more than that. Good luck and enjoy the trip. Concrete

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - focussed

Sounds like an MG B owner's club day out !

Err - Funny you should mention an MGB!

Being young and enthusiastic and recently married in the early seventies I decided to take our 1967 MGB GT to on holiday to Italy.

The rest of the immediate family went by train - we drove.

I hired a huge kit of running spares from the AA as you could do in those days and apart from the CB points closing up and causing a brief stop on the autostrada and the gearbox making strange noises on the return journey got there and back relatively trouble free.

Got treated like royalty at every garage and toll station by the Italians - it was Tartan Red-very similar to Ferrari red!

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - mss1tw

Are water pumps a cash cow for the car industry?

My motorbike is 20 years old, and I have never even thought about its water pump. (Assuming it operates at a speed related to the engine, it will reach speeds far in excess of what your average econobox engine does.)

If I check the forum there are models that have done over 100,000 miles, still on the same pump.

Yet with every car I buy and own I always end up replacing the water pump at some point (Cambelt change).

It's bizarre.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - joegrundy

Some years ago I took a Rover 825D on holiday in France and needed (well, as far as I know, it's difficult to argue these things) a new alternator. Breakdown covered recovery to garage. It should have covered cost of couriering new part if not available and hire car, so I got some of the cost back later when these things weren't provided.

My Euro breakdown insurance now covers cars up to 15 years old (costs abot £70 pa uk and Europe).

Recently had a new waterpump. The impellers, etc., were fine but the splines on the driveshaft were worn smooth (prob original, so 12 years old, 157k miles).

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - Wackyracer

It all depends on a bit of luck too, I once fitted a new waterpump for it to fail just 12 weeks later. For some reason the outer ball bearing cage broke up and jammed the pump solid. Luckily it was only driven by a V belt so a screech, the smell of burning rubber and an ammeter reading no charge were instant clues something was up.

I don't know about now but, in the past car servicing used to be quite cheap in France. You could get it done on your out bound journey while you spend a day in Calais.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
Interestingly,if you take your car into a Honda dealer for a cam belt(or belts,depending on which model),they do not recommend replacing the cam belt idler or tensioner pulleys or water pump unless you specify otherwise.I replaced the belts on my 99 accord last year and found all the rotating pulleys good as new.Car had done just over 100 k miles
Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - John F

Interesting question. It would be unusual for your water pump to suddenly become so leaky and noisy that you couldn't make it back to blighty. As for the belt, googling 'honda accord cambelt failure' comes up with very little, so presumably this is one of the more robust designs. Here's the most interesting discussion I found from where most Hondas are sold...

ask.metafilter.com/243055/Should-I-change-the-timi...p

The best advice in England is...if it works, don't mend it. Countering the risk of not doing it is the risk that it might break down shortly after unnecessary inept servicing by mechanics in a country which values a career in finance more highly than in engineering. I have lost count of how many such stories I have read on this site - and there is one in this thread.

Honda or any older car - Precautionary water pump replacement - Benet

Our Honda Shuttle with the 2.3 VTEC engine has served us well for years. It's been properly serviced, at a good Indy, and the cam belt has been done but not the water pump. I might get them to quote me for a new one before we go - if they can get the parts. The alternator went a year or so back and it was booked in for a new alternator but in the end they couldn't get hold of one so the car was off the road for a week while the old alternator was sent away for repair and reconditioning - the old fashioned way!