What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Ford Ka: Rattle Rattle/Brakes? - Jimborr99

Hi

Two weeks ago I'd the front pads and discs replaced on my 63 Plate Ka (not at dealer but High St as couldn't wait on bookin at dealer).

Anyway this last weekend, a rattle has developed which manifests on rough surfaces; it is not too loud (but it depends on road surface). It will go away when the brakes are pressed.

Oddly, if on a road which is long straight and rough enough if and when the rattle can be heard it ALWAYS vanishes - even if I simply literally touch the brake pedal and no more put the brake lights on; I mean the car would take a mile to stop.

This morning I did that about six times in a row: press (less than a quarted inch) and noise vanished - release and rattle returns.

When actually on the brakes there is no issue. No issue on smoother roads, motorways, braking feels fine, no "knocks".

The problem is that yesterday I went to the place where they did the brakes and spoke to one of the fitters (who remembered doing the car) - but they say that "Anything in the box was fitted".

I'm unsure what the actual setup is regards shims/anti rattle clips or whatever and basically the fitter was not sure.

My goal was a "Quick look" to see if they could ID anything obviously amiss (clips or whatever) - but to be honest, I am not sure what the score will be here.

I could drive in tomorrow and they will strip the brakes down again - but I would not know myself what/if anything was missing or even whether it would be totally clear to the fitters either.

I know enough that it's best to (with things like this) just say "There's a noise" and let the garage find the problem - the thing here is I am not 100% sure it's the brakes here but given the above I'm just after some advice on next steps - I've no problem with the brakes otherwise and wouldn't want to have them strip the thing down to say "We don't see anything amiss" - since I wouldn't know either way, if that makes sense?

cheers