What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Estate - Selecting quieter running tyres - honjohn

I am disappointed by the road noise generated by the originally fitted Michelin Primacy HP tyres which are now due for replacement.

I am hoping for a recommendation of new tyres which will generate less noise and therefore give a quieter cabin.

Ford Focus Estate - Selecting quieter running tyres - craig-pd130

BlackCircles gives a dB rating for tyres, which will give you an idea. Based on the factory-fit Pirellis on my Volvo V60, I wouldn't recommend them, they are noisier than my previous V60's Michelin Premacies!

Kumho Ecstas proved to be a quiet tyre on my pevious V60, and gave handling and grip that was indistinguishable from the Michelin.

Ford Focus Estate - Selecting quieter running tyres - RT

BlackCircles gives a dB rating for tyres, which will give you an idea. Based on the factory-fit Pirellis on my Volvo V60, I wouldn't recommend them, they are noisier than my previous V60's Michelin Premacies!

Kumho Ecstas proved to be a quiet tyre on my pevious V60, and gave handling and grip that was indistinguishable from the Michelin.

The recent labelling requirements shows the wet grip, fuel economy and noise rating of all tyres - the better websites show it or click a link to it.

On My Tyres, you can select the noise rating as the display sequence.

Ford Focus Estate - Selecting quieter running tyres - gordonbennet

If the tyres don't mke the difference you hope for, it might be worth doing a bit of DIY soundproofing, having gone down this road a few times now its quite an eye opener how little, ie none, soundproofing there is between the plastic interior trims and the lightly pianted bodyshell around in noise producing spots like rear wheel arches, i've made some major inroads into quieting some of the family cars that have needed it.

Ford Focus Estate - Selecting quieter running tyres - FP

I have found Michelin energy-saver tyres to be quiet - much quieter than what I had before (Firestone?) on my Focus II 2005.